Involvement of Cytoplasmic Free Calcium in Boar Sperm: Head-to-Head Agglutination Induced by a Cell-Permeable Cyclic Adenosine Monophosphate Analog
Article first published online: 2 JAN 2013
2003 American Society of Andrology
Journal of Andrology
Volume 24, Issue 1, pages 91–99, January-February 2003
How to Cite
Harayama, H., Okada, K. and Miyake, M. (2003), Involvement of Cytoplasmic Free Calcium in Boar Sperm: Head-to-Head Agglutination Induced by a Cell-Permeable Cyclic Adenosine Monophosphate Analog. Journal of Andrology, 24: 91–99. doi: 10.1002/j.1939-4640.2003.tb02646.x
- Issue published online: 2 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 2 JAN 2013
- Received for publication April 5, 2002; accepted for publication July 10, 2002
- Observations on the penetration of the sperm into the mammalian egg. Aust J Sci Res. 1951;4: 581–596. .
- Epididymal storage at abdominal temperature reduces the time required for capacitation of hamster spermatozoa. J Reprod Fertil. 1991;91: 403–410. , .
- Thapsigargin elevates and potentiates the ability of progesterone to increase intracellular free calcium in human sperm: possible role of perinuclear calcium. Cell Calcium. 1993;14: 53–60. .
- The versatility and universality of calcium signalling. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2000;1: 11–21. , , .
- Protein kinases in mammalian sperm capacitation and the acrosome reaction. Rev Reprod. 1999;4: 151–159. , .
- Fertilizing capacity of spermatozoa deposited into the fallopian tubes. Nature. 1951;168: 697–698. .
- An adhesion-associated agonist from the zona pellucida activates G protein-promoted elevations of internal Ca2+ and pH that mediate mammalian sperm acrosomal exocytosis. Dev Biol. 1989;135: 133–146. , , , .
- Ca2+-related changes in the mouse sperm capacitation state: a possible role for Ca2+-ATPase. J Reprod Fertil. 1992;96: 363–377. , .
- The capacitating agent bicarbonate induces protein kinase A-dependent changes in phospholipid transbilayer behavior in the sperm plasma membrane. Development. 2000;127: 2407–2420. , .
- Introduction of antibody (PL/IM 430) to a 100 kDa protein into permeabilised platelets inhibits intracellular sequestration of Ca2+. Biosci Rep. 1988a;8: 379–388. , , .
- A monoclonal antibody (PL/IM 430) to human platelet intracellular membranes which inhibits the uptake of Ca2+ without affecting the Ca2+ +Mg2+-ATPase. Biochem J. 1988b;250: 355–361. , , .
- Capacity of rete testicular and cauda epididymal boar spermatozoa to undergo the acrosome reaction and subsequent fusion with egg plasma membrane. Mol Reprod Dev. 1993;35: 62–68. , , .
- Changes in epididymal protein anti-agglutinin on ejaculated boar spermatozoa during capacitation. in vitro. Reprod Fertil Dev. 1999;11: 193–199. , , , et al.
- Role of cyclic adenosine 3′,5′monophosphate and serum albumin in head-to-head agglutination of boar spermatozoa. Reprod Fertil Dev. 2000;12: 307–318. , , .
- Effects of calcium and bicarbonate on head-to-head agglutination in ejaculated boar spermatozoa. Reprod Fertil Dev. 1998;10: 445–450. , , , , .
- Identification of anti-agglutinin for spermatozoa in epididymal boar plasma. Mol Reprod Dev. 1994;37: 436–445. , , , , .
- An inositol 1,4,5-triphosphate receptor-gated intracellular Ca2+ store is involved in regulating sperm hyperactivated motility. Biol Reprod. 2001;65: 1606–1615. , .
- Effects of catalase in diluent on survival and acrosome system of boar spermatozoa stored at 4°C. Jpn J Anim Reprod. 1979;25: 120–125. , , .
- A universal bicarbonate sensor. Science. 2000;289: 559–560. , .
- Characterization of intracellular Ca2+ increase in response to progesterone and cyclic nucleotides in mouse spermatozoa. Biol Reprod. 2000;63: 113–120. , , .
- Viability and acrosome staining of bull, boar and rabbit spermatozoa. Biotech Histochem. 1992;67: 119–124. , .
- Initiation of the human sperm acrosome reaction by thapsigargin. J Exp Zool. 1993;267: 350–355. , .
- Intuitive Biostatistics. New York: Oxford University Press; 1995. .
- Sodium bicarbonate in seminal plasma stimulates the motility of mammalian spermatozoa through direct activation of adenylate cyclase. J Biol Chem. 1985;260: 9699–9705. , , , , .
- In vitro capacitation of bovine spermatozoa: role of intracellular calcium. Theriogenology. 1999;51: 461–472. , , .
- A sperm ion channel required for sperm motility and male fertility. Nature. 2001;413: 603–609. , , , , , , , .
- Cell-permeable non-hydrolyzable cAMP derivatives as tools for analysis of signaling pathways controlling gene regulation in Dictyostelium. J Biol Chem. 1993;268: 6323–6331. , , , et al.
- Reduced DNA synthesis and cell viability in small cell lung carcinoma by treatment with cyclic AMP phosphodiesterase inhibitors. Biochem Pharmacol. 1998;56: 1229–1236. , , .
- Calcium mobilization and influx during sperm exocytosis. J Cell Sci. 1996;109: 1947–1955. , .
- A transient rise in intracellular Ca2+ is a precursor reaction to the zona pellucida-induced acrosome reaction in mouse sperm and is blocked by the induced acrosome reaction inhibitor 3-quinuclidinyl benzilate. Mol Reprod Dev. 1992;32: 41–50. , , .
- Capacitation is associated with tyrosine phosphorylation and tyrosine kinase-like activity of pig sperm proteins. Biol Reprod. 2001;65: 784–792. , , , .
- Thapsigargin, a tumor promoter, discharges intracellular Ca2+stores by specific inhibition of the endoplasmic reticulum Ca2+-ATPase. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1990;87: 2466–2470. , , , , .
- The molecular basis of sperm capacitation. J Androl. 1998;19: 242–248. , , , , , , .
- Regulation of protein phosphorylation during sperm capacitation. Biol Reprod. 1998;59: 1–6. , .
- Inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate receptors selectively localized to the acrosomes of mammalian sperm. J Cell Biol. 1995;130: 857–869. , .
- Cyclic nucleotide-gated channels on the flagellum control Ca2+entry into sperm. J Cell Biol. 1998;142: 473–484. , , , , , .
- Mammalian fertilization. In: Knobil E., Neill JD. eds. The Physiology of Reproduction. 2nd ed. New York: Raven Press; 1994: 189–317. .