Role of Tissue Inhibitor of Metalloproteases-1 in Junction Dynamics in the Testis
Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2013
2003 American Society of Andrology
Journal of Andrology
Volume 24, Issue 4, pages 510–523, July-August 2003
How to Cite
Mruk, D. D., Siu, M. K.Y., Conway, A. M., Lee, N. P.Y., Lau, A. S.N. and Cheng, C. Y. (2003), Role of Tissue Inhibitor of Metalloproteases-1 in Junction Dynamics in the Testis. Journal of Andrology, 24: 510–523. doi: 10.1002/j.1939-4640.2003.tb02703.x
- Issue online: 2 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2013
- Received for publication July 31, 2002; accepted for publication December 28, 2002
- Identification, isolation, and characterization of a 41 kDa protein from rat germ cell-conditioned medium exhibiting concentration-dependent dual biological activities. Endocrinology. 1997;138: 3259–3268. , , , .
- Ability of trypsin in mimicking germ cell factors that affect Sertoli cell secretory function. J Cell Physiol. 1996;168: 123–133. , , , .
- Insights into MMP-TIMP interactions. Ann NY Acad Sci. 1999;878: 73–91. , , , , , , .
- Tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases: evolution, structure and function. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2000;1477: 267–283. , , .
- Hormonal regulation of spermatid binding. J Cell Sci. 1991;100: 623–633. , .
- The primary structure of rat ribosomal S16. FEBS Lett. 1990;263: 85–88. , , , .
- Identification of two testosterone-responsive testicular proteins in Sertoli cell—enriched culture medium whose secretion is suppressed by cells of the intact seminiferous tubule. J Biol Chem. 1987;262: 12768–12779. , .
- Rat clusterin isolated from primary Sertoli cell—enriched culture medium is sulfated glycoprotein-2 (SGP-2). Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1988;155: 398–404. , , , , .
- Sertoli cell synthesizes and secretes a protease inhibitor, α2-macroglobulin. Biochemistry. 1990;29: 1063–1068. , , , , , .
- Testins are structurally related Sertoli cell proteins whose secretion is tightly coupled to the presence of germ cells. J Biol Chem. 1989;264: 21386–21393. , , , , .
- Identification of hormonally responsive proteins in primary Sertoli cell culture medium by anion-exchange high performance liquid chromatography. Endocrinology. 1986;118: 480–488. , , , .
- Cell junction dynamics in the testis: Sertoli-germ cell interactions and male contraceptive development. Physiol Rev. 2002;82: 825–874. , .
- There are two forms of androgen binding protein in human testes. Comparison of their protomeric variants with serum testosterone-estradiol binding globulin. J Biol Chem. 1985;260: 5631–5640. , , , , .
- Is cadmium chloride-induced inter-Sertoli tight junction permeability barrier disruption a suitable in vitro model to study the events of junction disassembly during spermatogenesis in the rat testis? Endocrinology. 2001;142: 1878–1888. , .
- A 22-amino acid synthetic peptide corresponding to the second extracellular loop of rat occludin perturbs the blood-testis barrier and disrupts spermatogenesis reversibly in vivo. Biol Reprod. 2001;65: 1340–1351. , , , , .
- A study on the formation of specialized inter-Sertoli cell junctions in vitro. J Cell Physiol. 1999;181: 258–272. , , .
- Rat testicular N-cadherin: its complementary deoxyribonucleic acid cloning and regulation. Endocrinology. 1998a;139: 1853–1862. , , , , .
- Evidence for cross-talk between Sertoli and germ cells using selected cathepsins as markers. J Androl. 1998b;19: 686–703. , , , , , .
- Quantitative study of the population of the seminiferous tubules in immature rats. Am J Anat. 1965;100: 241–267. , .
- The cytology of the testis. In: Knobil E., Neill J., Ewing LL, Greenwald GS, Markert CL, Pfaff DW, eds. The Physiology of Reproduction. New York: Raven Press, 1999: 837–932. , .
- Basement membrane regulation of Sertoli cells. Endocr Rev. 1994;15: 102–115. .
- Pachytene spermatocytes and round spermatid binding to Sertoli cells in vitro. J Cell Sci. 1988;90: 105–114. , .
- Proteases and anti-proteases in the seminiferous tubule. In: Russell LD, Griswold MD, eds. The Sertoli Cell. Clearwater, Cache River Press, 1993: 217–235. , , .
- Pure Sertoli cell cultures: a new model for the study of somatic-germ cell interactions. J Androl. 1981;5: 249–259. , , , , .
- Tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases: structure, regulation and biological functions. Eur J Cell Biol. 1997;74: 111–122. , , , .
- Purification, cDNA cloning, and developmental changes in the steady-state mRNA level of rat testicular tissue inhibitor of metalloproteases-2 (TIMP-2). J Androl. 1996;17: 263–275. , , .
- Rat Sertoli cell clusterin, α2-macroglobulin, and testins: biosynthesis and differential regulation by germ cells. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 1992;89: 127–140. , , , .
- Testin secreted by Sertoli cells is associated with the cell surface, and its expression correlates with the disruption of Sertoli-germ cell junctions but not the inter-Sertoli tight junction. J Biol Chem. 1998;273: 21040–21053. , , , , .
- Regulation of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-1 in rat Sertoli cells: induction by germ cell residual bodies, interleukin-1α and second messengers. Biol Reprod. 2000;62: 1040–1046. , , , , , .
- Human transforming growth factor β α2-Macroglobulin complex is a latent form of transforming growth factor β. J Biol Chem. 1988;263: 1535–1541. , , .
- In vitro regulation of pig Sertoli cell growth and function: effects of fibroblast growth factor and somatomedin-C. Biol Reprod. 1987;37: 665–674. , , .
- The Sertoli-germ cell communication network in mammals. Int Rev Cytol. 1993;147: 25–96. .
- Complex roles of tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases in cancer. Oncogene. 2002;21: 2245–2252. , , .
- A quantitative collagen film collagenase assay for large numbers of samples. Anal Biochem. 1980;104: 175–181. .
- Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature. 1970;227: 680–685. .
- Is the cadherin/catenin complex a functional unit of cell-cell actin-based adherens junctions (AJ) in the rat testis? Biol Reprod. 2003;68: 489–508. , , , .
- Micropurification of two human cerebrospinal fluid proteins by high performance electrophoresis chromatography. J Neurochem. 1993;61: 533–540. , , , , , .
- Regulation of Sertoli cell myotubularin (rMTM) expression by germ cells in vitro. J Androl. 2001;22: 266–277. , , .
- Transforming growth factor-β3 perturbs the inter-Sertoli tight junction permeability barrier in vitro possibly mediated via its effects on occludin, zonula occludens-1, and claudin-11. Endocrinology. 2001;142: 1865–1877. , , .
- Rat testicular superoxide dismutase: its purification, cellular distribution, and regulation. Biol Reprod. 1998;59: 298–308. , , , , , , .
- Sertoli cell proteins in testicular paracriny. In: Jegou B., Pineau C., Saez J., eds. Testis, Epididymis and Technologies in the Year 2000. Berlin: Springer-Verlag; 2000: 197–228. , .
- Interactions of proteases and protease inhibitors in Sertoli—germ cell co-cultures preceding the formation of specialized Sertoli—germ cell junctions in vitro. J Androl. 1997;8: 612–622. , , , , .
- Modulation of levels of messenger RNA for tissue-type plasminogen activator in rat Sertoli cells, and levels of messenger RNA for plasminogen activator inhibitor in testis peritubular cells. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 1990;70: 73–80. , , .
- Latent transforming growth factor-β in serum. A specific complex with α2-macroglobulin. J Biol Chem. 1987;262: 14090–14099. , .
- Cloning of the cDNA encoding rat tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase 1 (TIMP-1), amino acid comparison with other TIMPs, and gene expression in rat tissues. Gene. 1994;147: 301–302. , , , .
- Effect of chloroquine on the formation of tight junctions in cultured immature rat Sertoli cells. J Androl. 1996;17: 249–255. , .
- Counting actively metabolizing tissue-cultured cells. Exp Cell Res. 1957;13: 341–347. , .
- Matrix metalloproteinases and tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases in human fetal testis and ovary. Mol Human Reprod. 2001;7: 641–648. , , , .
- Role in spermiation. In: Russell LD, Griswold MD, eds. The Sertoli Cell. Clearwater: Cache River Press; 1993a: 269–303. .
- Morphological and functional evidence for Sertoli—germ cell relationships. In: Russell LD, Griswold MD, eds. The Sertoli Cell. Clearwater, Fla: Cache River Press; 1993b: 365–390. .
- The use of high performance electrophoresis chromatography (HPEC) for the micropurification of cerebrospinal fluid proteins in the rat. Anal Biochem. 1993;212: 315–324. , , .
- Blood-testis barrier. In: Knobil E., Neill JD, eds. Encyclopedia of Reproduction. New York: Academic Press; 1998: 375–381. .
- The blood-testis barrier. In: Hamilton DW, Greep RO, eds. The Handbook of Physiology. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkens; 1975: 143–172. , .
- Cell-cell interactions in the testis. Endocr Rev. 1991;12: 45–77. .
- α2-Macroglobulin is not an acute-phase protein in the rat testis. Endocrinology. 1991;128: 2805–2814. , , , , .
- Fibronectin synthesis is a marker for peritubular cell contaminants in Sertoli cell—enriched cultures. Biol Reprod. 1984;30: 199–211. , , .
- Follicle-stimulating hormone increases the expression of tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases TIMP-1 and TIMP-2 and induces TIMP-1 AP-1 site binding complexes in prepubertal rat Sertoli cells. Endocrinology. 1994;135: 2479–2487. , , , et al.
- Changes in the expression of junctional and nonjunctional complex component genes when inter-Sertoli tight junctions are formed in vitro. J Androl. 2000;21: 227–237. , , , , , , .
- Silver staining of proteins in polyacrylamide gels. Anal Biochem. 1981;118: 197–203. , , , .
- Cyclic and postnatal developmental changes of testin in the rat seminiferous epithelium—an immunohistochemical study. Biol Reprod. 1994;51: 843–851. , , , , , .
- Identification of an inhibitory factor from a Sertoli cell clonal cell line (TM4) that modulates adult rat Leydig cell steroidogenesis. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 1991;80: 115–126. , , .