Induction of Spermatogenesis by Recombinant Follicle-Stimulating Hormone (Puregon) in Hypogonadotropic Azoospermic Men Who Failed to Respond to Human Chorionic Gonadotropin Alone
Article first published online: 2 JAN 2013
2003 American Society of Andrology
Journal of Andrology
Volume 24, Issue 4, pages 604–611, July-August 2003
How to Cite
Bouloux, P.-M. G., Nieschlag, E., Burger, H. G., Skakkebaek, N. E., Wu, F. C.W., Handelsman, D. J., Baker, G. H.W., Ochsenkuehn, R., Syska, A., McLachlan, R. I., Giwercman, A., Conway, A. J., Turner, L., van Kuijk, J. H.M. and Voortman, G. (2003), Induction of Spermatogenesis by Recombinant Follicle-Stimulating Hormone (Puregon) in Hypogonadotropic Azoospermic Men Who Failed to Respond to Human Chorionic Gonadotropin Alone. Journal of Andrology, 24: 604–611. doi: 10.1002/j.1939-4640.2003.tb02712.x
- Issue published online: 2 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 2 JAN 2013
- Received for publication November 4, 2002; accepted for publication January 23, 2003
- Physiological relationships between inhibin B, follicle stimulating hormone secretion and spermatogenesis in normal men and response to gonadotrophin suppression by exogenous testosterone. Hum Reprod. 1997;12: 746–751. , , , , .
- Different roles of prepubertal and postpubertal germ cells and Sertoli cells in the regulation of serum inhibin B levels. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1998;83: 4451–4458. , , .
- Relation between semen quality and fertility: a population-based study of 430 first-pregnancy planners. Lancet. 1998;352: 1172–1177. , , , et al.
- Gonadotropin treatment of hypogonadotropic hypogonadal adolescents. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 1999;12: 339–344. , , , , .
- Pulsatile GnRH or human chorionic gonadotropin/human menopausal gonadotropin as effective treatment for men with hypogonadotropic hypogonadism: a review of 42 cases. Eur J Endocrinol. 1998;139: 298–303. , , , .
- Effects of preceding androgen therapy on testicular response to human pituitary gonadotrophin (HPG) in hypogonadotrophic hypogonadism (HH): a study of three patients. Fertil Steril. 1981;35: 64–68. , , , .
- Hypogonadism and the Spanish Collaborative Group on Male Hypogonadotropic. Subcutaneous self-administration of highly purified follicle stimulating hormone and human chorionic gonadotrophin for the treatment of male hypogonadotrophic hypogonadism. Hum Reprod. 1997;12: 980–986. , ,
- A low sperm concentration does not preclude fertility in men with isolated hypergonadotropic hypogonadism after gonadotropin therapy. Fertil Steril. 1988;50: 343–347. , , , .
- Gonadotropin therapy in men with isolated hypogonadotropic hypogonadism: the response to human chorionic gonadotropin is predicted by initial testicular size. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1988;66: 1144–1151. , , , .
- Clinical counterpoint: gonadotropin-releasing hormone deficiency: perspectives from clinical investigation. Endocr Rev. 1992;13: 635–640. , .
- Comparison of the sperm quality necessary for successful intrauterine insemination with World Health Organization threshold values for normal sperm. Fertil Steril. 1999;71: 684–689. , , , , .
- European Metrodin HP Study Group. Efficacy and safety of highly purified urinary follicle-stimulating hormone with human chorionic gonadotropin for treating men with isolated hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. Fertil Steril. 1998;70: 256–262.
- Stimulation of spermatogenesis by gonadotropins in men with hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. N Engl J Med. 1985;313: 651–655. , , .
- Inhibin B levels in azoospermic subjects with cytologically characterized testicular pathology. Clin Endocrinol. 1999;50: 695–701. , , , , , .
- Male hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. Successful treatment of sterility with hMG + hCG. Ann Endocrinol (Paris). 1975;36: 227–241. , , , , .
- Self-administered subcutaneous human menopausal gonadotrophin for the stimulation of testicular growth and the initiation of spermatogenesis in hypogonadotrophic hypogonadism. Clin Endocrinol. 1993;38: 203–208. , .
- Is inhibin B a pharmacodynamic parameter for FSH in normal men? Eur J Endocrinol. 2001;144: 629–637. , , , , .
- Gonadal function and response to human chorionic and menopausal gonadotrophin therapy in male patients with idiopathic hypogonadotrophic hypogonadism. Clin Endocrinol. 1994;41: 57–63. , , , , .
- High efficacy of gonadotropin or pulsatile gonadotropin-releasing hormone treatment in hypogonadotropic hypogonadal men. Eur J Endocrinol. 1994;131: 347–354. , , .
- Recombinant human follicle-stimulating hormone and human chorionic gonadotropin for induction of spermatogenesis in a hypogonadotropic male. Fertil Steril. 1995;63: 1326–1328. , , .
- Kombinierte Humegon-Pregnyl-Therapie bei Fertilitätsstörungen des Mannes. Schweiz Rundsch Medizin Praxis. 1976;65: 722–724. .
- Induction of spermatogenesis with gonadotrophins in Chinese men with hypogonadotrophic hypogonadism. Int J Androl. 1994;17: 241–247. , , , .
- Male hypogonadotropic hypogonadism: factors influencing response to human chorionic gonadotropin and human menopausal gonadotropin, including prior exogenous androgens. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1985;61: 746–752. , .
- Efficacy and safety of recombinant human follicle stimulating hormone (Gonal-F) with urinary human chorionic gonadotrophin for induction of spermatogenesis and fertility in gonadotrophin-deficient men. Hum Reprod. 1999;14: 1540–1545. , , , , , , .
- Predicting pregnancy and spermatogenesis by survival analysis during gonadotropin treatment of gonadotropin deficient infertile men. Hum Reprod. 2002;17: 625–633. , , , , , .
- The clinical and biological significance of serum inhibins in subfertile men. Reprod Toxicol. 1998;12: 591–599. , , .
- Serum hormone concentrations during treatment with multiple rising doses of recombinant follicle stimulating hormone (Puregon) in men with hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. Fertil Steril. 1996;65: 406–410. , , , , , , .
- Sperm morphology assessment as an indicator of human fertility capacity. J Androl. 1983;4: 119. , , , , , .
- Subcutaneous gonadotropin therapy in male patients with hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. Fertil Steril. 1991;56: 319–324. , , , , .
- Diagnosis and treatment of isolated gonadotropin-releasing hormone deficiency in men. Clinical Review 4. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1990;70: 3–7. , .
- WHO Special Programme of Research Development and Research Training in Human Reproduction. Laboratory Manual for the Examination of Human Semen and Semen-Cervical Mucus Interaction. 3rd ed. Cambridge, United Kingdom: Cambridge University Press; 1992.
- Sperm structure and its relevance to infertility. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1992;116: 325–344. .
- Hormone substitution in male hypogonadism. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2000;161: 73–88. , .