Zyxin, Axin, and Wiskott-Aldrich Syndrome Protein Are Adaptors That Link the Cadherin/Catenin Protein Complex to the Cytoskeleton at Adherens Junctions in the Seminiferous Epithelium of the Rat Testis
Article first published online: 2 JAN 2013
2004 American Society of Andrology
Journal of Andrology
Volume 25, Issue 2, pages 200–215, March-April 2004
How to Cite
Lee, N. P. Y., Mruk, D. D., Conway, A. M. and Cheng, C. Y. (2004), Zyxin, Axin, and Wiskott-Aldrich Syndrome Protein Are Adaptors That Link the Cadherin/Catenin Protein Complex to the Cytoskeleton at Adherens Junctions in the Seminiferous Epithelium of the Rat Testis. Journal of Andrology, 25: 200–215. doi: 10.1002/j.1939-4640.2004.tb02780.x
- Issue published online: 2 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 2 JAN 2013
- Received for publication September 11, 2003; accepted for publication November 6, 2003
- The p120 catenin family: complex roles in adhesion, signaling and cancer. J Cell Sci. 2000;113: 1319–1334. , .
- Zyxin: zinc fingers at sites of cell adhesion. BioEssays. 1997;19: 949–957. .
- Spatial control of actin filament assembly: lessons from Listeria. Cell. 1998;95: 741–748. .
- A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal Biochem. 1976;72: 248–254. .
- Regulation of Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome protein and related molecules. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2002;14: 82–87. .
- Cytokine-induced down-regulation of zfm1/splicing factor-1 promotes smooth muscle cell proliferation. J Biol Chem. 2002;277: 6582–6589. , , .
- The primary structure of rat ribosomal protein S16. FEBS Lett. 1990;263: 85–88. , , , .
- Structure and control of a cell-cell adhesion complex associated with spermiation in rat seminiferous epithelium. J Androl. 2001;22: 1030–1052. , , , , .
- Fer kinase/FerT and adherens junction dynamics in the testis: an in vitro and in vivo study. Biol Reprod. 2003;69: 656–672. , , , , .
- Cell junction dynamics in the testis: Sertoli—germ cell interactions and male contraceptive development. Physiol Rev. 2002;82: 825–874. , .
- Two new male contraceptives exert their effects by depleting germ cells prematurely from the testis. Biol Reprod. 2001;65: 449–461. , , , et al.
- Integrating the actin and vimentin cytoskeletons: adhesion-dependent formation of fimbrin—vimentin complexes in macrophages. J Cell Biol. 1999;146: 831–842. , , , , .
- Purification and characterization of zyxin, an 82 000-dalton component of adherens junctions. J Biol Chem. 1991;266: 5847–5853. , .
- Cell—substrate interactions and signaling through ILK. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2000;12: 250–256. .
- Identification of N-WASP homologs in human and rat brain. Gene. 1997;196: 43–48. , , .
- Pure Sertoli cell cultures: a new model for the study of somatic—germ cell interactions. J Androl. 1981;5: 249–259. , , , , .
- Testin induction: the role of cyclic 3′, 5′-adenosine monophosphate/protein kinase A signaling in the regulation of basal and lonidamine-induced testin expression by rat Sertoli cells. Biol Reprod. 2000;63: 1648–1660. , .
- Reversible inhibition of spermatogenesis in rats using a new male contraceptive, 1-(2,4-dichlorobenzyl)-indazole-3-carbohydrazide. Biol Reprod. 2001;64: 1500–1508. , , .
- Testin is tightly associated with testicular cell membrane upon its secretion by Sertoli cells whose steady-state mRNA level in the testis correlates with the turnover and integrity of inter-testicular cell junctions. J Biol Chem. 1997;272: 6499–6509. , , .
- Rat testin is a newly identified component of the junctional complexes in various tissues whose mRNA is predominantly expressed in the testis and ovary. Biol Reprod. 1995;52: 340–355. , , , , , .
- Regulation of cadherin adhesive activity. J Cell Biol. 2000;148: 399–404. .
- Axin, a negative regulator of the Wnt signaling pathway, forms a complex with GSK-3β and β-catenin and promotes GSK-3β-dependent phosphorylation of β-catenin. EMBO J. 1998;17: 1371–1384. , , , , , .
- Cadherin function: breaking the barrier. Curr Biol. 2001;11: R569–R572. , .
- Dynamic testicular adhesion junctions are immunologically unique. I. Localization of p120 catenin in rat testis. Biol Reprod. 2002a;66: 983–991. , .
- Dynamic testicular adhesion junctions are immunologically unique. II. Localization of classic cadherins in rat testis. Biol Reprod. 2002b;66: 992–1000. , .
- Axin directly interacts with plakoglobin and regulates its stability. J Biol Chem. 1999;274: 27682–27688. , , , , .
- Rab8B GTPase and junction dynamics in the testis. Endocrinology. 2003;144: 1549–1563. , .
- Regulation of Sertoli cell tight junction in the rat testis via the nitric oxide synthase/soluble guanylate cyclase/cGMP/protein kinase G signaling pathway: an in vitro study. Endocrinology. 2003;144: 3114–3129. , .
- Is the cadherin/catenin complex a functional unit of cell-cell actin-based adherens junctions in the rat testis? Biol Reprod. 2003;68: 489–508. , , , .
- Analysis of the α-actinin/zyxin interaction. J Biol Chem. 2001;276: 33328–33335. , .
- Turn-off, drop-out: functional state switching of cadherins. Dev Dyn. 2002;224: 18–29. , , , .
- Microtubule-dependent formation of podosomal adhesion structures in primary human macrophages. J Cell Sci. 2000;113: 4165–4176. , , , .
- Sertoli—germ cell adherens junction dynamics in the testis are regulated by RhoB GTPase via the ROCK/LIMK signaling pathway. Biol Reprod. 2003a;68: 2189–2206. , , .
- Adherens junction dynamics in the testis and spermatogenesis. J Androl. 2003b;24: 1–14. , , , .
- Rat seminiferous epithelium contains a unique junction (ectoplasmic specialization) with signaling properties both of cell/cell and cell/matrix junctions. Biol Reprod. 2001;64: 396–407. , , .
- How WASP-family proteins and the Arp2/3 complex convert intracellular signals into cytoskeletal structures. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2000;12: 91–96. .
- The nucleotide sequence of the rat cytoplasmic β-actin gene. Nucleic Acids Res. 1983;11: 1759–1771. , , , , , .
- Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome protein and platelets. Immunol Rev. 2000;178: 111–117. , .
- Altered cell adhesion activity by pervanadate due to the dissociation of α-catenin from the E-cadherin. catenin complex. J Biol Chem. 1998;273: 6166–6170. , .
- Focal adhesion kinase: the first ten years. J Cell Sci. 2003; 116: 1409–1416. .
- Actin-based motility: stop and go with Ena/VASP proteins. Trends Biochem Sci. 2001;26: 243–249. , , .
- Regulation of E-cadherin/catenin association by tyrosine phosphorylation. J Biol Chem. 1999;274: 36734–36740. , , , , .
- Desmosome-like junctions between Sertoli and germ cells in the rat testis. Am J Anat. 1977;148: 301–312. .
- Anchoring device between Sertoli cells and late spermatids in rat seminiferous tubules. Anat Rec. 1976;185: 259–278. , .
- Sertoli cell junctions: morphological and functional correlates. Int Rev Cytol. 1985;94: 177–211. , .
- Further observations on tubulobulbar complexes formed by late spermatids and Sertoli cells in the rat testis. Anat Rec. 1979;194: 213–232. .
- Multiple sites of alternative splicing of the rat fibronectin gene transcript. EMBO J. 1987; 6: 2573–2580. , , , .
- Biochemical interactions in the wnt pathway. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2000;1495: 168–182. , .
- Development of an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay with a monoclonal antibody prepared against α1-antitrypsin for diagnostic screening of inflammatory disorders. Clin Chem. 1990;36: 277–282. , , , , , , .
- Structure and tissue-specific expression of a novel member of the rat 3β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase/δ 5-δ 4 isomerase (3β-HSD) family. The exclusive 3β-HSD gene expression in the skin. J Biol Chem. 1993;268: 19659–19668. , , , , , , , .
- Interactions of proteases, protease inhibitors, and the β1 integrin/laminin γ3 protein complex in the regulation of ectoplasmic specialization dynamics in the rat testis. Biol Reprod. April 2004. , .
- The interplay of collagen IV, tumor necrosis factor-α, gelatinase B (matrix metalloprotease-9), and tissue inhibitor of metalloproteases-1 in the basal lamina regulates Sertoli cell-tight junction dynamics in the rat testis. Endocrinology. 2003a; 144: 371–387. , , .
- Adhering junction dynamics in the testis are regulated by an interplay of β1-integrin and focal adhesion complex-associated proteins. Endocrinology. 2003b;144: 2141–2163. , , , .
- The Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome protein (WASP): roles in signaling and cytoskeletal organization. Annu Rev Immunol. 1999;17: 905–929. , .
- Axin negatively affects tau phosphorylation by glycogen synthase kinase 3β. J Neurochem. 2002;83: 904–913. , , , , .
- Plectin sidearms mediate interaction of intermediate filaments with microtubules and other components of the cytoskeleton. J Cell Biol. 1996;135: 991–1007. , , .
- Nectin and afadin: novel organizers of intercellular junctions. J Cell Sci. 2003;116: 17–27. , .
- WASP and WAVE family proteins: key molecules for rapid rearrangement of cortical actin filaments and cell movement. J Cell Sci. 2001;114: 1801–1809. , .
- Characterization of Ws mutant allele of rats: a 12-base deletion in tyrosine kinase domain of c-kit gene. Blood. 1991;78: 1942–1946. , , , et al.
- Unique and multifunctional adhesion junctions in the testis: ectoplasmic specializations. Arch Histol Cytol. 2000;63: 1–15. , , , , .
- Zyxin and paxillin proteins: focal adhesion plaque LIM domain proteins go nuclear. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2003;1593: 115–120. , .
- Adhesion and signaling proteins spatiotemporally associated with spermiation in the rat. J Androl. 1999;20: 198–213. , .
- Molecular complexity and dynamics of cell-matrix adhesions. J Cell Sci. 2001;114: 3583–3590. , .
- Axin forms a complex with MEKK1 and activates c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase/stress-activated protein kinase through domains distinct from Wnt signaling. J Biol Chem. 1999;274: 35247–35254. , , , , .
- Casein kinase I and casein kinase II differentially regulate axin function in Wnt and JNK pathways. J Biol Chem. 2002;277: 17706–17712. , , , , , .