Cryopreservation of Ram Semen Facilitates Sperm DNA Damage: Relationship Between Sperm Andrological Parameters and the Sperm Chromatin Structure Assay
Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2013
2004 American Society of Andrology
Journal of Andrology
Volume 25, Issue 2, pages 224–233, March-April 2004
How to Cite
Peris, S. I., Morrier, A., Dufour, M. and Bailey, J. L. (2004), Cryopreservation of Ram Semen Facilitates Sperm DNA Damage: Relationship Between Sperm Andrological Parameters and the Sperm Chromatin Structure Assay. Journal of Andrology, 25: 224–233. doi: 10.1002/j.1939-4640.2004.tb02782.x
- Issue online: 2 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2013
- Received for publication October 1, 2003; accepted for publication November 21, 2003
- Increased DNA damage in sperm from leukocytospermic semen samples as determined by the sperm chromatin structure assay. Fertil Steril. 2002;78: 319–329. , , , , , , , .
- Semen cryopreservation in domestic animals: a damaging and capacitating phenomenon. J Androl. 2000; 21: 1–7. , , .
- The sperm chromatin structure assay. Relationship with alternate tests of semen quality and heterospermic performance of bulls. J Androl. 1988;9: 109–115. , , .
- Heterogeneity of sperm nuclear chromatin structure and its relationship to bull fertility. Biol Reprod. 1987;36: 915–925. , , .
- Flow cytometry evaluation of testicular and sperm cells obtained from bulls implanted with zeranol. J Anim Sci. 1986;63: 995–1004. , , , .
- Analysis of DNA fragmentation, plasma membrane translocation of phosphatidylserine and oxidative stress in human spermatozoa. Hum Reprod. 2000;15: 1338–1344. , , .
- Abnormal Morphology of Bovine Spermatozoa. Ames, IA: Iowa State University Press; 1989. , .
- Thiols prevent H2O2-mediated loss of sperm motility in cryopreserved bull semen. Theriogenology. 2001;56: 275–286. , , , .
- Levels of antioxidant defenses are decreased in bovine spermatozoa after a cycle of freezing and thawing. Mol Reprod Dev. 2000;55: 282–288. , , , .
- Sperm chromatin structure assay of bulls qualified for artificial insemination. Theriogenology. 2001;56: 557–567. , , .
- Canadian Council on Animal Care. Guide to the care and use of experimental animals. In: Olfert ED, Cross BM, McWilliams AA, eds. Vol 1. Ottawa, Canada: CCAC; 1993.
- Sperm calcium levels and chlortetracycline fluorescence patterns are related to the in vivo fertility of cryopreserved bovine semen. J Androl. 2000;21: 938–943. , , , .
- Probing nuclear chromatin by flow cytometry. In: Melamed MR, ed. Flow Cytometry and Sorting. New York, NY: Wiley-Liss; 1990: 315–340. .
- Thermal denaturation of DNA in situ as studied by acridine orange staining and automated cytofluorometry. Exp Cell Res. 1975;90: 411–428. , , , .
- Derivation and reliability of kinematic measures of sperm motion. Reprod Fertil Dev. 1995;7: 857–869. , .
- Cryopreservation of human semen and prepared sperm: effects on motility parameters and DNA integrity. Fertil Steril. 2001;76: 892–900. , , .
- Cryopreservation-thawing of fractionated human spermatozoa is associated with membrane phosphatidylserine externalization and not DNA fragmentation. J Androl. 2001;22: 646–651. , , , .
- Studies on sperm chromatin structure alterations and cytogenetic damage of mouse sperm following in vitro incubation. Studies on in vitro-incubated mouse sperm. J Androl. 1993;14: 282–288. , , , .
- Long-term effects of triethylenemelamine exposure on mouse testis cells and sperm chromatin structure assayed by flow cytometry. Environ Mol Mutagen. 1989;14: 79–89. , , .
- Relation of mammalian sperm chromatin heterogeneity to fertility. Science. 1980;210: 1131–1133. , , .
- Flow cytometric analysis of mouse spermatogenic function following exposure to ethylnitrosourea. Cytometry. 1985a;6: 238–253. , , , .
- Effects of methyl methanesulfonate on mouse sperm chromatin structure and testicular cell kinetics. Environ Mol Mutagen. 1993;21: 144–153. , , .
- Individuality of DNA denaturation patterns in human sperm as measured by the sperm chromatin structure assay. Reprod Toxicol. 1991;5: 115–125. , , , , .
- Utility of the sperm chromatin structure assay as a diagnostic and prognostic tool in the human fertility clinic. Hum Reprod. 1999;14: 1039–1049. , , , , , , , .
- Rhodamine 123 alters the mitochondrial ultrastructure of cultured L1210 cells. J Histochem Cytochem. 1985b;33: 353–359. , , , .
- Rapid analysis of normal and abnormal cell types in human semen and testis biopsies by flow cytometry. J Histochem Cytochem. 1983;31: 248–253. , .
- Flow cytometric eveluation of boar semen by the sperm chromatin structure assay as related to cryopreservation and fertility. Theriogenology. 1994;41: 637–651. , , .
- Assessment of spermatozoal function using dual fluorescent staining and flow cytometric analyses. Biol Reprod. 1986;34: 127–138. , , , .
- Capacitation status and fertility of fresh and frozen-thawed ram spermatozoa. Reprod Fertil Dev. 1997;9: 481–487. , , .
- Problems with laboratory assays. In: Proc 8th Tech Conf AI and Reprod. Milwaukee, Wis: NAAB; 1980: 1–8. , , .
- Analysis of sperm cell viability, acrosomal integrity, and mitochondrial function using flow cytometry. Biol Reprod. 1990;43: 55–64. , , .
- Association between sperm cell chromatin condensation, morphology based on strict criteria, and fertilization, cleavage and pregnancy rates in an IVF program. Andrologia. 1998;30: 29–35. , , , .
- Cryopreservation of mammalian sperm: what we ask them to survive. J Androl. 1990;11: 73–88. , , .
- Assessment of sperm quality through fluorometry and sperm chromatin structure assay in relation to field fertility of frozen-thawed semen from Swedish AI bulls. Theriogenology. 2001;55: 947–961. , , .
- Sex preselection in rabbits: live births from × and Y sperm separated by DNA and cell sorting. Biol Reprod. 1989;41: 199–203. , , .
- 1987. Flow sorting of × and Y chromosome-bearing spermatozoa into two populations. Gamete Res. 1987;16: 1–9. , , , .
- Comparison of semen quality in young and mature Holstein bulls measured by light microscopy and flow cytometry. J Dairy Sci. 1990;73: 2364–2371. , , , , .
- Effects of egg yolk-citrate and milk extenders on chromatin structure and viability of cryopreserved bull sperm. J Dairy Sci. 1991;74: 3836–3848. , , .
- Chromatin structural changes in sperm after scrotal insulation of Holstein bulls. J Androl. 1997;18: 549–555. , , , .
- Effect of storage time and temperature on stallion sperm DNA and fertility. Theriogenology. 2002;57: 1135–1142. , , , .
- Current problems and future potential of artificial insemination programmes. In: Lindsay DR, Pearce DT, eds. Reproduction in Sheep. Canberra: Australian Academy of Science and Australian Wool; 1984: 291–298. .
- Glycerol addition and conservation of fresh and cryopreserved ram spermatozoa. Can J Anim Sci. 2002; 82: 347–356. , , .
- Correlative biochemical and ultrastructural studies on the mechanism of freezing damage to ram semen. Cryobiology. 1972;9: 240–246. .
- Remodeling of nucleoproteins during gametogenesis, fertilization, and early development. Int Rev Cytol. 1986;105: 1–65. .
- Frequency and patterns of premature sperm chromosome condensation in oocytes failing to fertilize after intracytoplasmic sperm injection. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2000;17: 253–259. .
- WHO Manual for the Standard Investigation and the Diagnosis of the Infertile Couple. Cambridge, United Kingdom: Cambridge University Press; 1993. , , , .
- Effects of X-irradiation on mouse testicular cells and sperm chromatin structure. Environ Mol Mutagen. 1995a;25: 23–30. , , , , .
- Mammalian sperm DNA susceptibility to in situ denaturation associated with the presence of DNA strand breaks as measured by the terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase assay. J Androl. 1995b;16: 80–87. , , .
- Effects of heat stress on mouse testicular cells and sperm chromatin structure. J Androl. 1997;18: 294–301. , , , , .
- Frozen storage of ram semen. 1. Processing, freezing, thawing and fertility after cervical insemination. Anim Reprod Sci. 1995;37: 185–249. , .
- Increased sperm nuclear DNA damage in normozoospermic infertile men: a prospective study. Fertil Steril. 2002;78: 313–318. , , , , , , , .
- Practical Flow Cytometry. 2nd ed. New York, NY: Alan R. Liss Inc; 1988. .
- Nuclear chromatin variations in human spermatozoa undergoing swim-up and cryopreservation evaluated by the flow cytometric sperm chromatin structure assay. Mol Hum Reprod. 1999;5: 29–37. , , , , , .
- An immunochemical assay to detect DNA damage in bovine sperm. J Androl. 2000;21: 250–257. , , , , .
- The use of synthetic gonadotropin releasing hormone treatment in the collection of sheep embryos. Theriogenology. 1989;31: 741–752. , , , , .
- DNA packaging and organization in mammalian spermatozoa: comparison with somatic cells. Biol Reprod. 1991;44: 569–574. , .
- Recent developments and concepts in the cryopreservation of spermatozoa and the assessment of their post-thawing function. Reprod Fertil Dev. 1995;7: 871–891. .