Role of Nitric Oxide Concentrations on Human Sperm Motility
Article first published online: 2 JAN 2013
2004 American Society of Andrology
Journal of Andrology
Volume 25, Issue 2, pages 245–249, March-April 2004
How to Cite
Balercia, G., Moretti, S., Vignini, A., Magagnini, M., Mantero, F., Boscaro, M., Ricciardo-Lamonica, G. and Mazzanti, L. (2004), Role of Nitric Oxide Concentrations on Human Sperm Motility. Journal of Andrology, 25: 245–249. doi: 10.1002/j.1939-4640.2004.tb02784.x
- Issue published online: 2 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 2 JAN 2013
- Received for publication June 20, 2003; accepted for publication October 27, 2003
- Redox regulation of tyrosine phosphorylation in human spermatozoa and its role in the control of human sperm function. J Cell Sci. 1995;108: 2017–2025. , , , , .
- Total oxyradical scavenging capacity toward different reactive oxygen species in seminal plasma and sperm cells. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2003;41: 13–19. , , , , .
- Nitric oxide: a physiologic mediator of penile erection. Science. 1992;257: 401–403. , , , , .
- Localization of nitric oxide synthase in the reproductive organs of the male rat. Biol Reprod. 1995;52: 1–7. , , , , , , , .
- Nitric oxide and cardiovascular control. Exp Physiol. 1993;78: 303–326. , , .
- Decreased nitric oxide levels and increased calcium content in platelets of hypertensive patients. Am J Hypertens. 2001;14: 382–386. , , , , , , .
- Further evidence of the presence of constitutive and inducible nitric oxide synthase isoforms in human platelets. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 1996;27: 154–158. , .
- Nitric oxide synthase activity in the human urogenital tract. Urol Res. 1994;22: 287–290. , , .
- Nitric oxide synthase isozymes. Characterization, purification, molecular cloning and functions. Hypertension. 1994;23: 1121–1131. , , , , , , .
- Endothelium-derived relaxing factor release an activation of NMDA receptors suggests role as intercellular messenger in the brain. Nature. 1988;336: 385–388. , , .
- Effects of sodium nitroprusside on sperm motility, viability and lipid peroxidation. Fertil Steril. 1994;61: 1117–1122. , , , .
- Nitric oxide interacts with the cAMP pathway to modulate capacitation of human spermatozoa. Free Rad Biol Med. 2000;29: 522–536. , , , , .
- Localization by indirect immunofluorescence of nitric oxide synthase in mouse and human spermatozoa. Reprod Fertil Dev. 1996;8: 931–934. , , , , .
- Evidence that nitric oxide synthase is involved in progesterone-induced acrosomal exocytosis in mouse spermatozoa. Reprod Fertil Dev. 1997;9: 433–439. , , , .
- Synthesis of nitric oxide from L-arginine: a recently discovered pathway induced by cytokines with anti-tumour and antimicrobial activities. Res Immunol. 1991;142: 565–569. .
- Endothelium-derived relaxing factor produced and released from artery and vein is nitric oxide. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1987;84: 9265–9269. , , , .
- Inhibition of viral replication by interferon-gamma-induced nitric oxide synthase. Science. 1993;261: 1445–1448. , , , , , .
- Nitric oxide synthase and nitrite production in human spermatozoa: evidence that endogenous nitric oxide is beneficial to sperm motility. Mol Hum Reprod. 1996;2: 873–878. , , , , , .
- Nitric oxide: physiology, pathophysiology and pharmacology. Pharmacol Rev. 1991;43: 109–142. , , .
- The nitric oxide-cyclic GMP signal transduction system for intracellular and intercellular communication. Recent Prog Horm Res. 1994;49: 239–248. .
- Nitric oxide as a secretory product of mammalian cells. FASEB J. 1992;6: 3051–3064. .
- Elevated nitric oxide concentration in the seminal plasma of infertile males: NO inhibits sperm motilità. Am J Reprod Immunol. 1996;36: 193–197. , , , et al.
- Amplification of calcium induced gene transcription by nitric oxide in neuronal cells. Nature. 1993;364: 450–453. , .
- Nitric oxide as a mediator of relaxation of the corpus cavernosum in response to non-adrenergic, noncholinergic neurotransmission. N Engl J Med. 1992; 326: 90–94. , , , , .
- Effects of nitric oxide on human spermatozoa: evidence that nitric oxide decreases sperm motility and induces sperm toxicity. Hum Reprod. 1995;10: 1786–1790. , , , , .
- Effects of low concentrations of nitric oxide on the zona pellucida binding ability of human spermatozoa. Fertil Steril. 1998;69: 522–527. , , , , , .
- Biochemistry of nitric oxide and its redox activated forms. Science. 1992;258: 1898–1902. , , .
- Nitric oxide inhibition of sperm motility. Fertil Steril. 1995;64: 408–413. , , , .
- Organization World Health. WHO Laboratory Manual for the Examination of Human Semen and Sperm—Cervical Mucus Interactions. Cambridge, United Kingdom: Cambridge University Press; 1999.
- Possible role of nitric oxide on fertile and asthenozoospermic infertile human sperm functions. Free Rad Res. 1996; 25: 347–354. , .
- Low levels of nitric oxide promote sperm capacitation in vitro. J Androl. 1995;16: 424–431. , , .
- The immunohistochemical localization of endothelial nitric oxide synthase in testis, epididymis and vas suggests a possible role for nitric oxide in spermatogenesis, sperm maturation and programmed cell death. Biol Reprod. 1996;52: 631–637. , , , .