The Relationship Between Environmental Exposure to Phthalates and Computer-Aided Sperm Analysis Motion Parameters
Article first published online: 2 JAN 2013
2004 American Society of Andrology
Journal of Andrology
Volume 25, Issue 2, pages 293–302, March-April 2004
How to Cite
Duty, S. M., Calafat, A. M., Silva, M. J., Brock, J. W., Ryan, L., Chen, Z., Overstreet, J. and Hauser, R. (2004), The Relationship Between Environmental Exposure to Phthalates and Computer-Aided Sperm Analysis Motion Parameters. Journal of Andrology, 25: 293–302. doi: 10.1002/j.1939-4640.2004.tb02790.x
- Issue published online: 2 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 2 JAN 2013
- Received for publication August 25, 2003; accepted for publication October 9, 2003
- Adverse effects of butyl benzyl phthalate on the reproductive and hematopoietic systems of male rats. Toxicology. 1985;35: 189–206. , , , .
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. Di-n-butyl Phthalate, 1999. Available at: www.atsdr.cdc.govtoxprofiles. Accessed March 28, 2002. Aitken RJ. Molecular mechanisms regulating human sperm function. Mol Hum Reprod. 1997;3:169–173.
- An analysis of sperm function in cases of unexplained infertility: conventional criteria, movement characteristics, and fertilizing capacity. Fertil Steril. 1982;38: 212–221. , , , , , , .
- Modulation of rat leydig cell steroidogenic function by Di(2-Ethylhexyl)Phthalate. Biol Reprod. 2001;65: 1252–1259. , , , , , , , .
- Characterization of reactive oxygen species induced effects on human spermatozoa movement and energy metabolism. Free Radic Biol Med. 1999;26: 869–880. , , , , , .
- Quantitative detection of eight phthalate metabolites in human urine using HPLC-APCI-MS/MS. Anal Chem. 2000a;72: 4127–4134. , , , , , , .
- Levels of seven urinary phthalate metabolites in a human reference population. Environ Health Perspect. 2000b;108: 979–982. , , , et al.
- Interpretation of urine results used to assess chemical exposure with emphasis on creatinine adjustments: a review. Am Ind Hyg Assoc J. 1993;54: 615–627. , , .
- U-shaped dose-responses in biology, toxicology, and public health. Annu Rev Public Health. 2001;22: 15–33. , .
- Evidence for decreasing quality of semen during past 50 years. Br Med J. 1992;305: 609–613. , , , .
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Second National Report on Human Exposure to Environmental Chemicals. NCEH publication 02–0716. National Center for Environmental Health Web site. Available at: www.cdc.govexposurereport. Accessed February 4, 2003.
- Declining sperm quality in European men. Andrologia. 1996;28: 300–301. , , , .
- Accuracy and precision of computer-aided sperm analysis in multicenter studies. Fertil Steril. 1992; 57: 648–653. , , .
- The relationship between environmental exposure to phthalates and human semen parameters. Epidemiology. 2003;14: 269–277. , , , et al.
- European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology. Consensus workshop on advanced diagnostic andrology techniques. ESHRE Andrology Special Interest Group. Hum Reprod. 1996;11: 1463–1479.
- Testicular effects of phthalate esters. Environ Health Perspect. 1982;45: 77–84. .
- Perinatal exposure to the phthalates DEHP, BBP, and DINP, but not DEP, DMP, or DOTP, alters sexual differentiation of the male rat. Toxicol Sci. 2000;58: 350–365. , , , , , .
- Secular and seasonal changes in semen quality among young Danish men: a statistical analysis of semen samples from 1927 donor candidates during 1977–1995. Int J Androl. 1999;22: 28–36. , , , , .
- Model building strategies and methods for logistic regression. In: Hosmer DW Jr, Lemeshow S., eds. Applied Logistic Regression. New York: John Wiley & Sons; 1989: 82–134. , .
- Factors influencing human sperm kinematic measurements by the Celltrak computer-assisted sperm analysis system. Hum Reprod. 1998;13: 611–619. , , , .
- Predictive value of abnormal sperm morphology in in vitro fertilization. Fertil Steril. 1988;49: 112–117. , , , , , .
- Computer-assisted semen analysis parameters as predictors for fertility of men from the general population. The Danish First Pregnancy Planner Study Team. Hum Reprod. 2000;15: 1562–1567. , , , et al.
- Effects of relatively low levels of mono-(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate on cocultured sertoli cells and gonocytes from neonatal rats. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 1998;153: 258–265. , , .
- The predictive value of computer-assisted semen analysis in the context of a donor insemination programme. Hum Reprod. 1995;10: 580–586. , .
- Workshop report: clinical CASA—the quest for consensus. Reprod Fertil Dev. 1995;7: 951–959. , , , .
- Phthalate esters and semen quality parameters. Biomed Environ Mass Spectrom. 1987;14: 473–477. , , , .
- Exposure of patients to phthalates from polyvinyl chloride tubes and bags during dialysis. Nephron. 1987;45: 286–290. , , .
- National Center for Health Statistics. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey Web site. Available at: www.cdc.govnchsnhanes.htm. Accessed December 4, 2001.
- National Toxicology Program. Toxicology and carcinogenesis studies of butyl benzyl phthalate (CAS No. 85-68-7) in F344/N rats (feed studies). Report NTP TR 458, NIH Publication 97–3374. Rockville, Md: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, National Institutes of Health; 1997.
- National Toxicology Program. NTP-CERHR expert panel report on Di-n-butyl phthalate. Research Triangle Park, NC: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Center for the Evaluation of Risks to Human Reproduction; 2000.
- Effect of di(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate (DEHP) on spermatogenesis in adult rats. Toxicology. 1986;42: 47–54. , , .
- Toxic potential for the plasticizer di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate in the context of its disposition and metabolism in primates and man. Environ Health Perspect. 1982;45: 11–17. , .
- Significance of incorporating measures of sperm production and function into rat toxicology studies. Reproduction. 2001;121: 207–216. , .
- Diethylhexyl phthalate (DEHP): Reproduction and fertility assessment in CD-1 mice when administered in the feed PB84–181734. Research Triangle Park, NC: National Toxicology Program; 1984. , , , .
- Role of environmental estrogens in the deterioration of male factor fertility. Fertil Steril. 2002;78: 1187–1194. , , , .
- Semen quality and reproductive health of young Czech men exposed to seasonal air pollution. Environ Health Perspect. 2000;108: 887–894. , , , , , , .
- Are oestrogens involved in falling sperm counts and disorders of the male reproductive tract. Lancet. 1993;341: 1392–1395. , .
- Improved quantitative detection of 11 urinary phthalate metabolites in humans using liquid chromatography-atmospheric pressure chemical ionization tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B. 2003;789: 393–404. , , , et al.
- Sperm motion predicts fertility in male hamsters treated with α-chlorohydrin. J Androl. 1997;18: 708–716. , , , , .
- Synchronous assessment of sperm motility and fertilizing ability in the hamster following treatment with α-chlorohydrin. J Androl. 1995;16: 523–535. , , , , .
- Testicular toxicity of di-n-butyl phthalate in adult rats: effect on marker enzymes of spermatogenesis. Ind J Exp Biol. 1990;28: 67–70. , , , .
- Biochemistry of the induction and prevention of lipoperoxidative damage in human spermatozoa. Mol Hum Reprod. 1997;3: 203–213. .
- The question of declining sperm density revisited: an analysis of 101 studies published 1934–1996. Environ Health Perspect. 2000;108: 961–966. , , .
- Application of biological monitoring methods. In: Eller PM, ed. NIOSH Manual of Analytical Methods. 4th ed. Cincinnati, Ohio: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Division of Physical Sciences and Engineering; 1998: 52–62. , , , .
- Reproductive toxicity of Di-n-butylphthalate in a continuous breeding protocol in Spraque-Dawley Rats. Environ Health Perspect. 1997;105: 102–107. , , , , .
- Organization World Health. WHO Laboratory Manual for the Examination of Human Semen and Sperm-Cervical Mucus Interaction. New York: Cambridge University Press; 1999.