The welfare cost of means-testing: pensioner participation in income support
Version of Record online: 19 APR 2007
Copyright © 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Journal of Applied Econometrics
Volume 22, Issue 3, pages 581–598, April/May 2007
How to Cite
Hernandez, M., Pudney, S. and Hancock, R. (2007), The welfare cost of means-testing: pensioner participation in income support. J. Appl. Econ., 22: 581–598. doi: 10.1002/jae.940
- Issue online: 19 APR 2007
- Version of Record online: 19 APR 2007
- Manuscript Revised: 27 FEB 2006
- Manuscript Received: 27 FEB 2003
- 1997. Unemployment insurance take-up rates and the after-tax value of benefits, Quarterly Journal of Economics CXII: 913–937. , .
- 1988. Modelling the take-up of means-tested benefits: the case of housing benefits in the United Kingdom. Economic Journal 98: 58–74. , , .
- 1997. Modeling discrete choice with response error: Food Stamp participation. Journal of the American Statistical Association 92: 827–835. , .
- 1977. Variable kernel estimates of multivariate densities, Technometrics 19: 135–144. , , .
- 1995. Modelling the take-up of state support. Journal of Public Economics 58: 391–415. .
- DWP. 2001. Income Related Benefits: Estimates of Take-Up in 1999/2000. Government Statistical Service: London.
- DWP. 2004a. Income-Related Benefits: Estimates of Take-Up in 2001/2002. DWP Information and Analysis Directorate: London.
- DWP. 2004b. The Pensioners' Income Series 2002/3. DWP Pensions Analysts Division: London.
- DWP. 2004c. State Pension: Summary of Statistics, March 2003. www.dwp.gov.uk/asd/asd1/state_pension/SP_ summ_stats_Mar04.asp [17 September 2006].
- 1984. A class of decomposable poverty measures. Econometrica 52: 761–766. , , .
- 2005. The quality of social security benefit data in the British Family Resources survey: implications for investigating income support take-up by pensioners. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A 168(1): 63–82. , .
- 1986. Choice under uncertainty: a model of applications for the social security disability insurance program. Journal of Public Economics 31: 131–161. , .
- 2006. The welfare cost of means-testing: pensioner participation in Income Support. ISER Working Paper no. 2006/12, University of Essex: Colchester, UK. , , .
- 1999. Community effects on welfare participation. Sociological Forum 14: 155–174. , .
- 1998. A structural model of multiple welfare program participation and labor supply. International Economic Review 39: 553–589. , .
- 1997. The working poor and welfare recipiency: participation, evidence and policy directions. Journal of Economic Issues 31: 707–728. , .
- 1993. An efficient semiparametric estimator for binary response models. Econometrica 61: 387–421. , .
- 1983. An economic model of welfare stigma. American Economic Review 73: 1023–1035. .
- 2006. Simulating the reform of means-tested benefits with endogenous take-up and claim costs. Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics 68: 135–166. , , .