Present address: RMC Pharmaceutical Solutions Inc., Longmont, CO 80501, USA.
Overview of the nonclinical quality and toxicology testing for recombinant biopharmaceuticals produced in mammalian cells
Article first published online: 29 JUN 2010
Copyright © 2010 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Journal of Applied Toxicology
Volume 30, Issue 5, pages 387–396, July 2010
How to Cite
Lebrec, H., Narayanan, P. and Nims, R. (2010), Overview of the nonclinical quality and toxicology testing for recombinant biopharmaceuticals produced in mammalian cells. J. Appl. Toxicol., 30: 387–396. doi: 10.1002/jat.1551
- Issue published online: 19 JUL 2010
- Article first published online: 29 JUN 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 APR 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 19 APR 2010
- Manuscript Received: 29 OCT 2009
Vol. 31, Issue 2, 190, Article first published online: 24 FEB 2011
- 2008. Safety pharmacology: similarities and differences between small molecules and novel biopharmaceuticals. In Preclinical Safety Evaluation of Biopharmaceuticals. A Science-Based Approach to Facilitating Clinical Trials, CavagnaroJA (ed.). Wiley: Hoboken, NJ; 311–335. .
- 2004. Preclinical safety testing of biotechnology-derived pharmaceuticals. Understanding the issues and addressing the challenges. Mol. Biotech. 27: 59–74. , , , .
- 1996. Contamination of genetically engineered Chinese hamster ovary cells. Dev. Biol. Stand. 88:199–203. .
- 2008. Species selection considerations for preclinical toxicology studies for biotherapeutics. Expert Opin. Drug Metab. Toxicol. 4: 871–877. .
- 2008a. Preclinical Safety Evaluation of Biopharmaceuticals. A Science-Based Approach to Facilitating Clinical Trials. Wiley: Hoboken, NJ. .
- 2008b. The principles of ICH S6 and the case-by-case approach. In Preclinical Safety Evaluation of Biopharmaceuticals. A Science-Based Approach to Facilitating Clinical Trials, CavagnaroJA (ed.). Wiley: Hoboken, NJ; 45–65. .
- 2008. Duration of chronic studies for biotechnology-derived pharmaceuticals: is 6 months still appropriate? Reg. Toxicol. Pharmacol. 50: 2–22. , , , , , , , , , .
- Code of Federal Regulations. 2003. Animals and Animal Products. Title 9, Part 113.53. US Government Printing Office: Washington, DC.
- 2007. Case studies of mycoplasma contamination in CHO cell cultures. Proceedings of the PDA Workshop on Mycoplasma Contamination by Plant Peptones. Pharmaceutical Drug Association: Bethesda, MD; 53–59. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Recent studies on retrovirus-like particles in Chinese hamster ovary cells. Dev. Biol. Stand. 76: 210–207. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Cell line characterization. In Biopharmaceutical Process Validation, SoferG, ZabriskieDW (eds). Marcel Dekker: New York; 77–99. .
- 1984. Human clinical trials of bacteria-derived human alpha interferon. In Recombinant DNA Products: Insulin, Interferon and Growth Hormone, BollonAP (ed.). CRC Press: Boca Raton, FL; 115–128. , , .
- 1997. Viral contaminants found in mouse cell lines used in the production of biological products. In Animal Cell Technology, CarrondoMJT et al. (eds). Kluwer Academic: Dordrecht; 681–686. , , , , .
- 1996. Experience with viral contamination. Dev. Biol. Stand. 88: 49–56. .
- 1999. Genotoxicity testing of biotechnology-derived products. Report of a GUM task force. Mutat. Res. 436: 137–156. , , , , , .
- 1995. Sequence analysis of the 5′ untranslated region of pestivirus RNA demonstrated in interferons for human use. Biologicals 23: 263–269. , .
- 1989. Biological and molecular characterization of an endogenous retrovirus present in CHO/HBs-A Chinese hamster cell line. Dev. Biol. Stand. 70: 195–202. , , , .
- International Conference on Harmonization. 1997a. ICH Topic S-6 Preclinical Safety Evaluation of Biotechnology-derived Pharmaceuticals. ICH: Geneva.
- International Conference on Harmonization. 1997b. Guideline on Viral Safety Evaluation of Biotechnology Products Derived from Cell Lines of Human or Animal Origin. ICH Q5A R1. ICH: Geneva.
- International Conference on Harmonization. 1997c. Guideline on Quality of Biotechnological/Biological Products: Derivation and Characterization of Cell Substrates Used in the Production of Biotechnological/Biological Products. ICH Q5D. ICH: Geneva.
- International Conference on Harmonization. 2008. Nonclinical Evaluation for Anticancer Pharmaceuticals. ICH S9, step 2. ICH: Geneva.
- International Conference on Harmonization. 2009a. Guidance on Nonclinical Safety Studies for the Conduct of Human Clinical Trials and Marketing Authorization for Pharmaceuticals. ICH M3(R2), step 4. ICH: Geneva.
- International Conference on Harmonization. 2009b. Addendum to ICH S6: Preclinical Safety Evaluation of Biotechnology-Derived Pharmaceuticals S6(R1). ICH: Geneva.
- 2008. Genetic Toxicology Testing of Biopharmaceuticals. In Preclinical Safety Evaluation of Biopharmaceuticals. A Science-Based Approach to Facilitating Clinical Trials, CavagnaroJA (ed.). Wiley: Hoboken, NJ; 337–341. , .
- 1983. Human insulin from recombinant DNA technology. Science 219: 632–637. .
- 1992. Experience in cell line testing. Dev. Biol. Stand. 76: 51–56. .
- 2004. ‘Points-to-consider’ regarding safety assessment of biotechnology-derived pharmaceuticals in non-clinical studies (English translation). J. Toxicol. Sci. 29: 497–504. , , , , , , , .
- 1980. The association of calf serum with the contamination of BHK 21 clone 13 suspension cells by a parvovirus serologically related to the Minute Virus of Mice (MVM). Arch. Virol. 64: 359–374. , .
- 2006. Detection of adventitious viruses in biologicals – a rare occurrence. Dev. Biologicals 123: 153–164. .
- 2005. Adventitious agents: concerns and testing for biopharmaceuticals. In Process Validation in Manufacturing of Biopharmaceuticals: Guidelines, Current Practices, and Industrial Case Studies, RathoreAS, SoferG (eds). CRC Press/Informa: Boca Raton, FL; 143–167. , , , , .
- 2008 Detection of Cache Valley virus in biologics manufactured in CHO cells. BioPharm Int. 21: 89–94. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Identification of a calicivirus isolate of unknown origin. J. Gen. Virol. 84: 2837–2845. , , , , , .
- 1983. An overview of safety and regulatory aspects of the new biotechnology. Reg. Toxicol. Pharmacol. 3: 428–433. .
- 2009. Immunogenicity of biologically-driven therapeutics: assessment and interpretation of nonclinical safety studies. Reg. Toxicol. Pharmacol. 54(2): 164–182. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Safety assessment of biotechnology-derived pharmaceuticals: ICH and beyond. Toxicol. Pathol. 27: 27–31. , .
- 2006. Understanding and applying regulatory guidance on the nonclinical development of biotechnology-derived pharmaceuticals. Biodrugs. 20: 25–52. , .
- 2009. Developmental toxicity testing of monoclonal antibodies: an enhanced pre- and postnatal study design option. Reprod. Toxicol. 28: 220-225. .
- 2007. Preclinical and clinical safety of monoclonal antibodies. Drug Discov. Today 12(13–14): 540–546. , .
- International Working Group. 1986. Preclinical safety testing of species-specific proteins produced with recombinant DNA-technqiues [sic]. Arch. Toxicol. 59: 195–200. , , and the
- US FDA. 1983. Interferon Test Procedures: Points to Consider in the Production and Testing of Interferon Intended for Investigational use in Humans (Draft). FDA: Silver Spring, MD.
- US FDA. 1985 (revised 1992). Points to Consider in the Production and Testing of New Drugs and Biologicals Produced by Recombinant DNA Technology (Draft). FDA: Silver Spring, MD.
- US FDA. 1987 (revised 1993). Points to Consider in the Characterization of Cell Lines used to Produce Biologicals (Draft). FDA/CBER: Silver Spring, MD.
- US FDA. 1994 (revised 1997). Points to Consider in the Manufacture and Testing of Monoclonal Antibody Products for Human Use. FDA/CBER: Silver Spring, MD.
- US FDA. 2006. Guidance for Industry: Quality Systems Approach to Pharmaceutical CGMP Regulations. FDA/CBER: Silver Spring, MD.
- US FDA. 2008. Identification of drug and biological products deemed to have risk evaluation and mitigation strategies for purposes of the Food and Drug Administration amendments act of 2007. Federal Register 73: 16313–16314.
- 2008. Scientific review and recommendations on preclinical cardiovascular safety evaluation of biologics. J. Pharmacol. Toxicol. Meth. 58: 72–76. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .