How to cite this article: Sun Y, Gao H, Yang Y-W, Wang A, Wu G, Wang Y, Fan Y, Ma J. 2013. Layer-by-layer supramolecular assemblies based on linear and star-shaped poly(glycerol methacrylate)s for doxorubicin delivery. J Biomed Mater Res Part A 2013:101A:2164–2173.
Layer-by-layer supramolecular assemblies based on linear and star-shaped poly(glycerol methacrylate)s for doxorubicin delivery†
Article first published online: 22 DEC 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A
Volume 101A, Issue 8, pages 2164–2173, August 2013
How to Cite
Sun, Y., Gao, H., Yang, Y.-W., Wang, A., Wu, G., Wang, Y., Fan, Y. and Ma, J. (2013), Layer-by-layer supramolecular assemblies based on linear and star-shaped poly(glycerol methacrylate)s for doxorubicin delivery. J. Biomed. Mater. Res., 101A: 2164–2173. doi: 10.1002/jbm.a.34519
- Issue published online: 23 JUN 2013
- Article first published online: 22 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 17 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 12 AUG 2012
- NSFC. Grant Number: 21074092
- Program for New Century Excellent Talents in University. Grant Number: NCET- 11-1063
- Tianjin Municipal Natural Science Foundation. Grant Numbers: 10JCY- BJC26800, 09JCYBJC03400
- Foundation of Tianjin Educational Committee. Grant Number: 2009 0505
- Open Project of State Key Laboratory of Supramolecular Structure and Materials. Grant Number: SKLSSM201209
- amino poly(glycerol methacrylate);
- layer-by-layer (LBL);
Hollow microcapsules, composed of pH responsive polyelectrolytes via a layer-by-layer (LBL) adsorption technique, were prepared. Linear or star-shaped poly(glycerol metha crylate)s (PGOHMAs) modified with 1,4-butanediamine and 1,2-ethanediamine (EDA) were synthesized and used as polycations. Poly(acrylic acid) was employed as polyanion and SiO2 (about 170 nm) as template. After LBL absorption, SiO2 cores were removed by HF treatment. The particle size and zeta potential were measured by dynamic light scattering, showing that the diameter of star-shaped amino-PGOHMA was larger than linear counterpart. The LBL assembly and core-etching process were evidenced by scanning electron microscope, transmission electron microscope, and energy dispersive spectrometer. The cytotoxicity experiments on human umbilical vein endothelial cells were carried out to evaluate the toxicity of LBL assembly. The star-shaped and EDA-modified PGOHMA exhibited better cell viability. The microcapsules were then used to load an anticancer drug, doxorubicin hydrochloride. High loading capacity (about 42%) and entrapment efficiency (84%) were obtained for star-shaped polymer-based microcapsules. The cumulative release rate was evaluated in vitro, showing faster release at an acidic condition compared to neutral pH. Confocal laser scanning microscopy evidenced the successful cellular uptake of DOX-loaded microparticles. © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. J Biomed Mater Res Part A, 2013.