For another Viewpoint on this topic, please see Lewiecki et al. (J Bone Miner Res. 2012;27:739–742. DOI: 10.1002/jbmr.1580).
BMD screening in older women: Initial measurement and testing interval†
Article first published online: 20 MAR 2012
Copyright © 2012 American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 27, Issue 4, pages 743–746, April 2012
How to Cite
Gourlay, M. L., Preisser, J. S., Lui, L.-Y., Cauley, J. A., Ensrud, K. E. and for the Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group (2012), BMD screening in older women: Initial measurement and testing interval. J Bone Miner Res, 27: 743–746. doi: 10.1002/jbmr.1585
- Issue published online: 20 MAR 2012
- Article first published online: 20 MAR 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 1 MAR 2012 08:03AM EST
- 1Sackett D, Straus S, Richardson W, Rosenberg W, Haynes R, editors. Diagnosis and screening. In: Evidence-based medicine: how to practice and teach EBM. 2nd edition. Philadelphia: Churchill Livingstone; 2000. pp. 67– 93.
- 2U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for osteoporosis: U.S. preventive services task force recommendation statement. Ann Intern Med. 2011; 154: 356– 64.
- 3Alendronate for the primary and secondary prevention of osteoporotic fractures in postmenopausal women. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008;(1): CD001155., , , , , , , .
- 4Risedronate for the primary and secondary prevention of osteoporotic fractures in postmenopausal women. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008;(1): CD004523., , , , , , , .
- 5Osteoporosis Methodology Group and The Osteoporosis Research Advisory Group. Meta-analyses of therapies for postmenopausal osteoporosis. IV. Meta-analysis of raloxifene for the prevention and treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. Endocr Rev. 2002; 23: 524– 8., , , , , , , ,
- 9National Osteoporosis Foundation. Clinician's guide to prevention and treatment of osteoporosis [Internet]. Washington, DC: National Osteoporosis Foundation; 2010 Jan [cited 2012 Feb 23]. Available from: http://www.nof.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/NOF_ClinicianGuide2009_v7.pdf.
- 11American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, Women's Health Care Physicians. ACOG practice bulletin. Clinical management guidelines for obstetrician-gynecologists. Number 50, January 2003. Obstet Gynecol. 2004 Jan; 103(1): 203– 16. [Reaffirmed 2008].
- 13AACE Osteoporosis Task Force. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists medical guidelines for clinical practice for the prevention and treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis: 2001 edition, with selected updates for 2003. Endocr Pract. 2003; 9: 544– 64., , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 17U.S. Census Bureau. Population Estimates. National Characteristics: Vintage 2009 [Internet]. Washington, DC: U.S. Census Bureau, U.S. Department of Commerce [updated 2011 Dec 8; cited 2012 Feb 23]. Available from http://www.census.gov/popest/data/national/asrh/2009/index.html/.
- 20National Center for Health Statistics. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: Osteoporosis [Internet]. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; 2002 Dec 16 [cited 2012 Feb 23]. Available from http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhanes/databriefs/osteoporosis.pdf/.
- 26Screening. In: Mayrent S, editor. Epidemiology in medicine. 1st ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 1987. p. 327– 47., .
- 27Designing studies of medical tests. In: Designing clinical research. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2001. p. 175– 93., , , , , .
- 28U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. U.S. Preventive Services Task Force Procedure Manual. AHRQ Publication No. 08-05118-EF. July 2008 [Internet]. Washington, DC: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF), Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; 2008 July [cited 2012 Feb 23]. Available from http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf08/methods/procmanual.pdf/.
- 33U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Update on Methods: Estimating Certainty and Magnitude of Net Benefit [Internet]. Available from http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf07/methods/benefit.htm/.
- 36Osteoporotic Fractures in Men (MrOS) Study Group. Estimates of the proportion of older white men who would be recommended for pharmacologic treatment by the new US National Osteoporosis Foundation guidelines. J Bone Miner Res. 2010; 25: 1506– 11., , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 37World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Metabolic Bone Diseases, University of Sheffield, UK. FRAX: WHO Fracture Risk Assessment Tool [Internet]. University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK [cited 2012 Feb 23]. Available from http://www.shef.ac.uk/FRAX/.