Making the first fracture the last fracture: ASBMR task force report on secondary fracture prevention
Article first published online: 26 JUL 2012
Copyright © 2012 American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 27, Issue 10, pages 2039–2046, October 2012
How to Cite
Eisman, J. A., Bogoch, E. R., Dell, R., Harrington, J. T., McKinney, R. E., McLellan, A., Mitchell, P. J., Silverman, S., Singleton, R., Siris, E. and for the ASBMR Task Force on Secondary Fracture Prevention (2012), Making the first fracture the last fracture: ASBMR task force report on secondary fracture prevention. J Bone Miner Res, 27: 2039–2046. doi: 10.1002/jbmr.1698
- Issue published online: 18 SEP 2012
- Article first published online: 26 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 11 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 3 APR 2012
- 1British Orthopaedic Association, British Geriatrics Society. The care of patients with fragility fracture 2nd ed. [Internet].: London: British Orthopaedic Association; Sep [cited 2012 Jul 9]. Available from: http://www.fractures.com/pdf/BOA-BGS-Blue-Book.pdf. 2007.
- 9Effectiveness of strategies for the secondary prevention of osteoporotic fractures in Scotland (CEPS 99/03) [Internet]. Glasgow, Scotland: NHS Quality Improvement Scotland; [cited 2012 Jul 9]. Available from: http://www.healthcareimprovementscotland.org/previous_resources/audit_report/osteoporotic_fractures_audit.aspx. 2004., , , , , , , .
- 10Prior fractures are common in patients with subsequent hip fractures. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2007; 461: 226–30., , , , .
- 17Office of the Surgeon General. Bone health and osteoporosis: a report of the Surgeon General [Internet]. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; [cited 2012 Jul 9]. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK45513/.
- 39National Bone Health Alliance. Eye on bone health: secondary fracture prevention initiative Vol. 1 Washington DC: National Bone Health Alliance; p. 1. 2011.
- 40International Osteoporosis Foundation. Capture the fracture. Nyon, Switzerland: International Osteoporosis Foundation; 2012 [cited 2012 Jul 9]. Available from: http://www.iofbonehealth.org/sites/default/files/PDFs/2012-brochure-capture_the_fracture-A5.pdf.
- 41Osteoporosis Canada. Osteoporosis: towards a fracture free future [Internet]. Toronto, Ontario, Canada: Osteoporosis Canada; Mar [cited 2012 Jul 9]. Available from: http://www.osteoporosis.ca/multimedia/pdf/White_Paper_March_2011.pdf. 2011.
- 42Osteoporosis Canada. Osteoporosis patient bill of rights. Toronto, Ontario, Canada: Osteoporosis Canada; 2011.
- 43National Osteoporosis Society. Our manifestos. Protecting fragile bones: a strategy to reduce the impact of osteoporosis and fragility fractures in England/Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland [Internet]. Bath, UK: National Osteoporosis Society; [cited 2012 Jul 9]. Available from: http://www.nos.org.uk/page.aspx?pid=818. 2009.
- 44National Osteoporosis Society. Care services minister attends vital falls and fractures summit. Bath, UK: National Osteoporosis Society.
- 45American Society of Bone and Mineral Research Task Force on Systems-Based Approaches to Secondary Fracture prevention. Systems-based approaches to secondary fracture prevention: doing something that actually works. ASBMR 2011. 2011 Annual Meeting, San Diego Convention Center, San Diego, CA, USA. Washington, DC: American Society of Bone and Mineral Research; 2011.
- 46Fragility fractures and orthogeriatric comanagement course in Davos. Davos, Switzerland: AO Foundation; 2011..
- 47International Society for Fracture Repair. Osteoporotic fracture campaign. London: International Society for Fracture Repair; 2011.
- 48International Osteoporosis Foundation. Enormous growth in use of WHO Fracture Risk Assessment Tool (FRAX®). Nyon, Switzerland: International Osteoporosis Foundation; 2012.
- 49American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Position statement: recommendations for enhancing the care of patients with fragility fractures. Rosemont, IL, USA: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons; 2009.
- 51US Bone and Joint Decade. Osteoporosis education kit to prevent future fractures [Internet]. USBJD Newsletter. 2007 May/June;9(1). [cited 2012 Jul 9]. Available from; http://www.usbjd.org/news/pdf/USBJD_NL_May_Jun07Web.pdf.
- 52Fragility Fracture Network. FFN: a global network to improve fragility fracture management and prevention [Internet]. Glattbrugg, Switzerland: Fragility Fracture Network (FFN); 2011; [cited 2012 Jul 9]. Available from: http://www.ff-network.org/.
- 53Department of Health. Falls and fractures: effective interventions in health and social care. London: Department of Health, NHS; [cited 2012 Jul 9]. Available from: http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/@pg/documents/digitalasset/dh_103151.pdf. 2009.
- 54Is osteoporosis disease management cost effective?. Curr Osteoporos Rep. 2010; 8(1): 49–55., .
- 56Ministry of Health and Long-term Care, Ontario Women's Health Council, Osteoporosis Canada. Ontario Osteoporosis Strategy [Internet]. Toronto, Ontario, Canada: Osteoporosis Canada; [cited 2012 Jul 9]. Available from: http://www.osteostrategy.on.ca/index.php/ci_id/1238/la_id/1.htm. 2010.