Building bone with a SOST-PTH partnership
Version of Record online: 1 FEB 2010
Copyright © 2010 American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 25, Issue 2, pages 175–177, February 2010
How to Cite
Sims, N. A. (2010), Building bone with a SOST-PTH partnership. J Bone Miner Res, 25: 175–177. doi: 10.1002/jbmr.53
- Issue online: 19 FEB 2010
- Version of Record online: 1 FEB 2010
- 1SOST/sclerostin, an osteocyte-derived negative regulator of bone formation. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 2005; 16: 319–327., , , .
- 2Sclerostin binds to LRP5/6 and antagonizes canonical Wnt signaling. J Biol Chem. 2005; 280: 19883–19887., , , et al.
- 3SOST is a target gene for PTH in bone. Bone. 2005; 37: 148–158., .
- 4Parathyroid hormone (PTH)–induced bone gain is blunted in SOST overexpressing and deficient mice. J Bone Miner Res. 2010; 25: 178–189., , , , .
- 5Effect of parathyroid hormone(1–34) on fractures and bone mineral density in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med. 2001; 344: 1434–1441., , , et al.
- 6Recombinant human parathyroid hormone(1–34) [teriparatide] improves both cortical and cancellous bone structure. J Bone Miner Res. 2003; 18: 1932–1941., , , , , .
- 7Evidence that intermittent treatment with parathyroid hormone increases bone formation in adult rats by activation of bone lining cells. Endocrinology. 1995; 136: 3632–3638., .
- 8Increased bone formation by prevention of osteoblast apoptosis with parathyroid hormone. J Clin Invest. 1999; 104: 439–446., , , , , .
- 9Osteoclast-derived activity in the coupling of bone formation to resorption. Trends Mol Med. 2005; 11: 76–81., .
- 10Chronic elevation of parathyroid hormone in mice reduces expression of sclerostin by osteocytes: a novel mechanism for hormonal control of osteoblastogenesis. Endocrinology. 2005; 146: 4577–4583., , , et al.
- 11Genomic deletion of a long-range bone enhancer misregulates sclerostin in Van Buchem disease. Genome Res. 2005; 15: 928–935., , , et al.
- 12Increased bone density in sclerosteosis is due to the deficiency of a novel secreted protein (SOST). Hum Mol Genet 2001; 10: 537–543., , , et al.
- 13Role of Bcl2 in osteoclastogenesis and PTH anabolic actions in bone. J Bone Miner Res. 2008; 23: 621–632., , , et al.
- 14T lymphocytes amplify the anabolic activity of parathyroid hormone through Wnt10b signaling. Cell Metab. 2009; 10: 229–240., , , et al.
- 15Interleukin-18 is regulated by parathyroid hormone and is required for its bone anabolic actions. J Biol Chem. 2008; 283: 6790–6798., , , et al.
- 16Impaired bone anabolic response to parathyroid hormone in Fgf2−/− and Fgf2+/− mice. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006; 341: 989–994., , , et al.
- 17Evidence that anabolic effects of PTH on bone require IGF-I in growing mice. Endocrinology. 2001; 142: 4349–4356., , , , .
- 18Critical role of activating transcription factor 4 in the anabolic actions of parathyroid hormone in bone. PLoS One. 2009; 4: e7583., , , et al.
- 19Apoptotic bodies convey activity capable of initiating osteoclastogenesis and localized bone destruction. J Bone Miner Res. 2008., , .
- 20Intermittent PTH stimulates periosteal bone formation by actions on post-mitotic preosteoblasts. Bone. 2009; 44: 275–286., , , , , .
- 21Molecular profile of catabolic versus anabolic treatment regimens of parathyroid hormone (PTH) in rat bone: an analysis by DNA microarray. J Cell Biochem. 2005; 95: 403–418., , , et al.
- 22EphrinB2 regulation by PTH and PTHrP revealed by molecular profiling in differentiating osteoblasts. J Bone Miner Res. 2008; 23: 1170–1181., , , et al.
- 23Determination of dual effects of parathyroid hormone on skeletal gene expression in vivo by microarray and network analysis. J Biol Chem. 2007; 282: 33086–33097., , , et al.
- 24CREM deficiency in mice alters the response of bone to intermittent parathyroid hormone treatment. Bone. 2007; 40: 1135–1143., , , , .
- 25Bone response to intermittent parathyroid hormone is altered in mice null for β-arrestin2. Endocrinology. 2005; 146: 1854–1862., , , et al.
- 26IGF-I receptor is required for the anabolic actions of parathyroid hormone on bone. J Bone Miner Res. 2007; 22: 1329–1337., , , et al.
- 27Accentuated osteoclastic response to parathyroid hormone undermines bone mass acquisition in osteonectin-null mice. Bone. 2008; 43: 264–273., , , , , , .
- 28Overexpression of secreted frizzled-related protein 1 inhibits bone formation and attenuates parathyroid hormone bone anabolic effects. J Bone Miner Res. 2010; 25: 190–199., , , , , .
- 29Bone anabolic effects of parathyroid hormone are blunted by deletion of the Wnt antagonist secreted frizzled-related protein-1. J Cell Physiol. 2007; 210: 352–357., , , , .
- 30PTH stimulates bone formation in mice deficient in Lrp5. J Bone Miner Res. 2007; 22: 394–402., , , et al.
- 31The Wnt co-receptor LRP5 is essential for skeletal mechanotransduction but not for the anabolic bone response to parathyroid hormone treatment. J Biol Chem. 2006; 281: 23698–23711., , , et al.
- 32Osteoblast-derived PTHrP is a potent endogenous bone anabolic agent that modifies the therapeutic efficacy of administered PTH 1–34. J Clin Invest. 2005; 115: 2402–2411., , , et al.
- 33Mechanical stimulation in vivo reduces osteocyte expression of sclerostin. J Musculoskel Neuronal Interact. 2006; 6: 354., , .
- 34Oncostatin M promotes bone formation independently of resorption when signaling through leukemia inhibitory factor receptor in mice. J Clin Invest. 2010; 120: 582–592., , , et al.
- 35A short treatment with an antibody to sclerostin can inhibit bone loss in an ongoing model of colitis. J Bone Miner Res. 2009; 24: 1662–1671., , , et al.
- 36Sclerostin antibody treatment increases bone formation, bone mass, and bone strength in a rat model of postmenopausal osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res. 2009; 24: 578–588., , , et al.
- 37Collaborative meta-analysis: associations of 150 candidate genes with osteoporosis and osteoporotic fracture. Ann Intern Med. 2009; 151: 528–537., , , et al.
- 38The –9247 T/C polymorphism in the SOST upstream regulatory region that potentially affects C/EBPα and FOXA1 binding is associated with osteoporosis. Bone. 2009; 45: 289–294., , .
- 39New sequence variants associated with bone mineral density. Nat Genet. 2009; 41: 15–17., , , et al.
- 40Genetic analyses in a sample of individuals with high or low BMD shows association with multiple Wnt pathway genes. J Bone Miner Res. 2008; 23: 499–506., , , et al.