XS Liu and XH Zhang contributed equally to this work.
Accuracy of high-resolution in vivo micro magnetic resonance imaging for measurements of microstructural and mechanical properties of human distal tibial bone
Version of Record online: 26 MAR 2010
Copyright © 2010 American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 25, Issue 9, pages 2039–2050, September 2010
How to Cite
Liu, X. S., Zhang, X. H., Rajapakse, C. S., Wald, M. J., Magland, J., Sekhon, K. K., Adam, M. F., Sajda, P., Wehrli, F. W. and Guo, X. E. (2010), Accuracy of high-resolution in vivo micro magnetic resonance imaging for measurements of microstructural and mechanical properties of human distal tibial bone. J Bone Miner Res, 25: 2039–2050. doi: 10.1002/jbmr.92
- Issue online: 20 AUG 2010
- Version of Record online: 26 MAR 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 MAR 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 15 FEB 2010
- Manuscript Received: 27 OCT 2009
- 1Alterations of cortical and trabecular architecture are associated with fractures in postmenopausal women, partially independent of decreased BMD measured by DXA: the OFELY study. J Bone Miner Res. 2007; 22: 425–433., , , .
- 6High-resolution MRI and micro-FE for the evaluation of changes in bone mechanical properties during longitudinal clinical trials: application to calcaneal bone in postmenopausal women after one year of idoxifene treatment. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2002; 17: 81–88., , , .
- 23Correlation of trabecular bone structure with age, bone mineral density, and osteoporotic status: in vivo studies in the distal radius using high resolution magnetic resonance imaging. J Bone Miner Res. 1997; 12: 111–118., , , et al.
- 24Fuzzy logic structure analysis of trabecular bone of the calcaneus to estimate proximal femur fracture load and discriminate subjects with and without vertebral fractures using high-resolution magnetic resonance imaging at 1.5 T and 3 T. Calcif Tissue Int. 2007; 81: 294–304., , , et al.
- 25Advances of 3T MR imaging in visualizing trabecular bone structure of the calcaneus are partially SNR-independent: analysis using simulated noise in relation to micro-CT, 1.5T MRI, and biomechanical strength. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2009; 29: 132–140., , , et al.
- 35Automated multi-modality image registration based on information theory. In: BizaisY, BarillotC, di PaolaR, eds. Information Processing in Medical Imaging. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers; 1995: pp. 263–274., , , , , .
- 36The ITK Software Guide, 2nd Ed. 2005. Available at http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf. Accessed December 5, 2008., , , .
- 372007. Available at http://hdl.handle.net/1926/1331 Accessed December 5, 2008., , , et al. FusionViewer: an open source toolkit for viewing multimodality images.
- 47Quantification of cancellous bone architecture. In: CowinSC, ed. Bone Mechanics Handbook, 2nd ed. Boca Raton, Florida, USA: CRC Press LLC; 2001: pp. I4.1–I4.19..
- 51Is trabecular bone tissue different from cortical bone tissue? Forma. 1997; 12: 185–196., .
- 52Ultrascalable implicit finite element analysis in solid mechanics with over a half a billion degrees of freedom. ACM/IEEE Proceedings of S C2004: High Performance Networking and Computing. Pittsburgh, PA, USA., , , .
- 542007. Available at http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-as/snapshots/petsc-current/docs/manual.pdf. Accessed December 5, 2008., , , et al. PETSc Users Manual. ANL-95/11 - Revision 2.3.3.
- 56Numerical Recipes in Fortran, 2nd ed. Cambridge: Cambridge Univ. Press; 1992., , , .
- 68Bone density, geometry, microstructure and stiffness: relationships between peripheral and central skeletal sites assessed by DXA, HR-pQCT, and cQCT in premenopausal women. J Bone Miner Res. 2010 (doi: 10.1002/jbmr.111)., , , et al.