Chengyin Min and Sean F. Eddy contributed equally to this work.
NF-κB and epithelial to mesenchymal transition of cancer†
Article first published online: 5 FEB 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Journal of Cellular Biochemistry
Volume 104, Issue 3, pages 733–744, 1 June 2008
How to Cite
Min, C., Eddy, S. F., Sherr, D. H. and Sonenshein, G. E. (2008), NF-κB and epithelial to mesenchymal transition of cancer. J. Cell. Biochem., 104: 733–744. doi: 10.1002/jcb.21695
- Issue published online: 20 MAY 2008
- Article first published online: 5 FEB 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 DEC 2007
- Manuscript Received: 10 DEC 2007
- NIH. Grant Numbers: PO1-ES11624, RO1 CA82742
- Department of Army. Grant Number: DAMD 05-1-0286
- American Institute for Cancer Research
- Avon Foundation
- 2003. Aryl hydrocarbon receptor gene silencing with small inhibitory RNA differentially modulates Ah-responsiveness in MCF-7 and HepG2 cancer cells. Mol Pharmacol 63: 1373–1381. , , .
- 1990. Inhibition of collagenolytic activity and metastasis of tumor cells by a recombinant human tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases. J Natl Cancer Inst 82: 589–595. , , .
- 2005. Glycogen synthase kinase-3 is an endogenous inhibitor of Snail transcription: Implications for the epithelial-mesenchymal transition. J Cell Biol 168: 29–33. , , , , .
- 2002. Exchange of N-CoR corepressor and Tip60 coactivator complexes links gene expression by NF-kappaB and beta-amyloid precursor protein. Cell 110: 55–67. , , , , , .
- 1992. The 65-kDa subunit of human NF-kappa B functions as a potent transcriptional activator and a target for v-Rel-mediated repression. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89: 1875–1879. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Regulation of Snail transcription during epithelial to mesenchymal transition of tumor cells. Oncogene 23: 7345–7354. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. The Snail genes as inducers of cell movement and survival: Implications in development and cancer. Development 132: 3151–3161. , .
- 2006. Nuclear factor-kappaB and inhibitor of kappaB kinase pathways in oncogenic initiation and progression. Oncogene 25: 6817–6830. , .
- 2000. The transcription factor snail is a repressor of E-cadherin gene expression in epithelial tumour cells. Nat Cell Biol 2: 84–89. , , , , , , .
- 2007. PKCtheta promotes c-Rel-driven mammary tumorigenesis in mice and humans by repressing estrogen receptor alpha synthesis. J Clin Invest 117: 4009–4021. , .
- 2007. Green tea polyphenols reverse cooperation between c-Rel and CK2 that induces the aryl hydrocarbon receptor, Slug and an invasive phenotype. Cancer Res 67: 11742–11750. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Integrative genomic approaches identify IKBKE as a breast cancer oncogene. Cell 129: 1065–1079. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The transcription factor Slug represses E-cadherin expression and induces epithelial to mesenchymal transitions: A comparison with Snail and E47 repressors. J Cell Sci 116: 499–511. , , , , , .
- 2004. Activation of IKKalpha target genes depends on recognition of specific kappaB binding sites by RelB:p52 dimers. EMBO J 23: 4202–4210. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. The oncoprotein Bcl-3 directly transactivates through kappa B motifs via association with DNA-binding p50B homodimers. Cell 72: 729–739. , , , , , , .
- 2000. The transcription factor snail controls epithelial-mesenchymal transitions by repressing E-cadherin expression. Nat Cell Biol 2: 76–83. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The mouse snail gene encodes a key regulator of the epithelial-mesenchymal transition. Mol Cell Biol 21: 8184–8188. , , , , .
- 2002. A Twist in fate: Evolutionary comparison of Twist structure and function. Gene 287: 11–22. , .
- 2004. Osteoclast differentiation is impaired in the absence of inhibitor of kappa B kinase alpha. J Biol Chem 279: 54841–54848. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Twist transcriptionally up-regulates AKT2 in breast cancer cells leading to increased migration, invasion, and resistance to paclitaxel. Cancer Res 67: 1979–1987. , , , , , .
- 2007. NF-kappaB represses E-cadherin expression and enhances epithelial to mesenchymal transition of mammary epithelial cells: Potential involvement of ZEB-1 and ZEB-2. Oncogene 26: 711–724. , , , , , .
- 2000. Selective activation of NF-kappa B subunits in human breast cancer: Potential roles for NF-kappa B2/p52 and for Bcl-3. Oncogene 19: 1123–1131. , , ,
- 1994. Mice lacking vimentin develop and reproduce without an obvious phenotype. Cell 79: 679–694. , , , , , .
- 2001. The two-handed E box binding zinc finger protein SIP1 downregulates E-cadherin and induces invasion. Mol Cell 7: 1267–1278. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. A transgenic model reveals important roles for the NF-kappa B alternative pathway (p100/p52) in mammary development and links to tumorigenesis. J Biol Chem 282: 10028–10035. , , , , , , , .
- 1993a. Activity of type IV collagenases in benign and malignant breast disease. Br J Cancer 67: 1126–1131. , , , , , , .
- 1993b. Levels of matrix metalloproteases in bladder cancer correlate with tumor grade and invasion. Cancer Res 53: 5365–5369. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Impaired mechanical stability, migration and contractile capacity in vimentin-deficient fibroblasts. J Cell Sci 111(Pt 13): 1897–1907. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Impaired wound healing in embryonic and adult mice lacking vimentin. J Cell Sci 113(Pt 13): 2455–2462. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Inducible IkappaB kinase/IkappaB kinase epsilon expression is induced by CK2 and promotes aberrant nuclear factor-kappaB activation in breast cancer cells. Cancer Res 65: 11375–11383. , , , , , , .
- 2005. DeltaEF1 is a transcriptional repressor of E-cadherin and regulates epithelial plasticity in breast cancer cells. Oncogene 24: 2375–2385. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Altered cell cycle control at the G(2)/M phases in aryl hydrocarbon receptor-null embryo fibroblast. Mol Pharmacol 57: 1056–1063. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Snail, Slug, and Smad-interacting protein 1 as novel parameters of disease aggressiveness in metastatic ovarian and breast carcinoma. Cancer 103: 1631–1643. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Transcriptional up-regulation of matrix metalloproteinase-9 expression during spontaneous epithelial to neuroblast phenotype conversion by SK-N-SH neuroblastoma cells, involved in enhanced invasivity, depends upon GT-box and nuclear factor kappaB elements. Cell Growth Differ 10: 353–367. , , , , , .
- 1987. Secretion of type IV collagenolytic protease and metastatic phenotype: Induction by transfection with c-Ha-ras but not c-Ha-ras plus Ad2-E1a. Cancer Res 47: 1523–1528. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Missing pieces in the NF-kappaB puzzle. Cell 109(Suppl): S81–S96. , .
- 2003. The Re1/NF-kappa B/I kappa B signal transduction pathway and cancer. Cancer Treat Res 115: 241–265. .
- 2006. Inhibitors of NF-kappaB signaling: 785 and counting. Oncogene 25: 6887–6899. , .
- 2002. Rel/NF-kappa B/I kappa B signal transduction in the generation and treatment of human cancer. Cancer Lett 181: 1–9. , , , .
- 2002. Snail induction of epithelial to mesenchymal transition in tumor cells is accompanied by MUC1 repression and ZEB1 expression. J Biol Chem 277: 39209–39216. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Induction of mammary tumors by expression of polyomavirus middle T oncogene: A transgenic mouse model for metastatic disease. Mol Cell Biol 12: 954–961. , , .
- 2002. The SLUG zinc-finger protein represses E-cadherin in breast cancer. Cancer Res 62: 1613–1618. , , .
- 2001. TNF-alpha stimulates activation of pro-MMP2 in human skin through NF-(kappa)B mediated induction of MT1-MMP. J Cell Sci 114: 131–139. , , , , .
- 1996. Role of intermediate filaments in migration, invasion and metastasis. Cancer Metastasis Rev 15: 507–525. , , , , .
- 1997. Transcriptional activation of the matrix metalloproteinase-9 gene in an H-ras and v-myc transformed rat embryo cell line. Oncogene 14: 1995–1998. , , , , .
- 2004. Expression profiling reveals novel pathways in the transformation of melanocytes to melanomas. Cancer Res 64: 5270–5282. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Genetic analysis of NF-kappaB/Rel transcription factors defines functional specificities. EMBO J 22: 5530–5539. , , .
- 2007. Epithelial to mesenchymal transition: Expression of the regulators snail, slug, and twist in pancreatic cancer. Clin Cancer Res 13: 4769–4776. , , , , , .
- 1996. Inhibition of matrix metalloproteinase 9 expression by a ribozyme blocks metastasis in a rat sarcoma model system. Cancer Res 56: 5279–5284. , .
- 2004. NF-kappaB is essential for epithelial-mesenchymal transition and metastasis in a model of breast cancer progression. J Clin Invest 114: 569–581. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Regulation of tight junctions during the epithelium-mesenchyme transition: Direct repression of the gene expression of claudins/occludin by Snail. J Cell Sci 116: 1959–1967. , , , .
- 2006. Zinc finger transcription factor Slug is a novel target gene of aryl hydrocarbon receptor. Exp Cell Res 312: 3585–3594. , .
- 1992. dorsal-twist interactions establish snail expression in the presumptive mesoderm of the Drosophila embryo. Genes Dev 6: 1518–1530. , , , , .
- 2003. Expression profiling of epithelial plasticity in tumor progression. Oncogene 22: 7155–7169. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. The dorsal morphogen gradient regulates the mesoderm determinant twist in early Drosophila embryos. Genes Dev 5: 1881–1891. , , , .
- 2002. RelB-p50 NF-kappa B complexes are selectively induced by cytomegalovirus immediate-early protein 1: Differential regulation of Bcl-x(L) promoter activity by NF-kappa B family members. J Virol 76: 5737–5747. , , .
- 1997. Control of matrix metalloproteinase activity in cancer. J Pathol 183: 377–379. , .
- 1999. Expression of MMP-2 and MMP-9, their inhibitors, and the activator MT1-MMP in primary breast carcinomas. J Pathol 189: 161–168. , , .
- 2005. Upregulation of MMP-9 in MDCK epithelial cell line in response to expression of the Snail transcription factor. J Cell Sci 118: 3371–3385. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Aberrant expression of the transcription factors snail and slug alters the response to genotoxic stress. Mol Cell Biol 24: 7559–7566. , , .
- 2005. Transcription factor cross-talk: The estrogen receptor and NF-kappaB. Trends Endocrinol Metab 16: 46–52. , .
- 1998. Role of Rel/NF-kappaB transcription factors during the outgrowth of the vertebrate limb. Nature 392: 611–614. , , , .
- 2004. Epithelial-mesenchymal transitions: Twist in development and metastasis. Cell 118: 277–279. , .
- 2007. Constitutively active type I insulin-like growth factor receptor causes transformation and xenograft growth of immortalized mammary epithelial cells and is accompanied by an epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition mediated by NF-kappaB and snail. Mol Cell Biol 27: 3165–3175. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. The origin of vimentin expression in invasive breast cancer: Epithelial-mesenchymal transition, myoepithelial histogenesis or histogenesis from progenitor cells with bilinear differentiation potential? J Pathol 206: 451–457. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Matrix metalloproteinase 9 promoter activity is induced coincident with invasion during tumor progression. Am J Pathol 157: 1777–1783. , , , , , .
- 2005. Up-regulation of TWIST in prostate cancer and its implication as a therapeutic target. Cancer Res 65: 5153–5162. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Differential regulation of the c-myc oncogene promoter by the NF-kappa B rel family of transcription factors. Mol Cell Biol 14: 1039–1044. , , .
- 1995. Role of Rel-related factors in control of c-myc gene transcription in receptor-mediated apoptosis of the murine B cell WEHI 231 line. J Exp Med 181: 1169–1177. , , , , , .
- 1993. Activation of the human vimentin gene by the Tax human T-cell leukemia virus. I. Mechanisms of regulation by the NF-kappa B transcription factor. J Biol Chem 268: 2180–2188. , .
- 1990. Effect of human T-cell leukemia virus type I tax protein on activation of the human vimentin gene. J Virol 64: 256–263. , , , , .
- 1996. The aromatic hydrocarbon receptor modulates the Hepa 1c1c7 cell cycle and differentiated state independently of dioxin. Mol. Cell. Biol 16: 2144–2150. , .
- 2005. Expression of the transcription factors snail, slug, and twist and their clinical significance in human breast cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 12: 488–496. , , , .
- 2006. The transcription factors Slug and Snail act as repressors of Claudin-1 expression in epithelial cells. Biochem J 394: 449–457. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Transcriptional activity of rel family proteins. Oncogene 7: 163–170. , , , .
- 2007. CD40 ligand-mediated activation of the de novo RelB NF-kappaB synthesis pathway in transformed B cells promotes rescue from apoptosis. J Biol Chem 282: 17475–17485. , , , , .
- 2005. Inhibition of the Akt, cyclooxygenase-2, and matrix metalloproteinase-9 pathways in combination with androgen deprivation therapy: Potential therapeutic approaches for prostate cancer. Mol Carcinog 44: 1–10. , , , , .
- 2004. Snail and SIP1 increase cancer invasion by upregulating MMP family in hepatocellular carcinoma cells. Br J Cancer 90: 1265–1273. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Immortalized mouse mammary fibroblasts lacking dioxin receptor have impaired tumorigenicity in a subcutaneous mouse xenograft model. J Biol Chem 280: 28731–28741. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Degradation of basement membrane type IV collagen and lung subendothelial matrix by rat mammary adenocarcinoma cell clones of differing metastatic potentials. Cancer Res 47: 4869–4876. , , , .
- 1997. Constitutive activation of NF-kappaB during progression of breast cancer to hormone-independent growth. Mol Cell Biol 17: 3629–3639. , , , ,
- 2002. The snail superfamily of zinc-finger transcription factors. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 3: 155–166. .
- 1994. Control of cell behavior during vertebrate development by Slug, a zinc finger gene. Science 264: 835–839. , , , .
- 2004. The transcription factor Snail downregulates the tight junction components independently of E-cadherin downregulation. J Cell Sci 117: 1675–1685. , .
- 1991. Functional analysis of the Drosophila twist promoter reveals a dorsal-binding ventral activator region. Genes Dev 5: 1892–1901. , , .
- 2006. The aryl hydrocarbon receptor directly regulates expression of the potent mitogen epiregulin. Toxicol Sci 89: 75–82. , , , .
- 2004a. Snail mediates E-cadherin repression by the recruitment of the Sin3A/histone deacetylase 1 (HDAC1)/HDAC2 complex. Mol Cell Biol 24: 306–319. , , , .
- 2004b. Snail and E47 repressors of E-cadherin induce distinct invasive and angiogenic properties in vivo. J Cell Sci 117: 2827–2839. , , , , , , .
- 2004c. Transcriptional regulation of cadherins during development and carcinogenesis. Int J Dev Biol 48: 365–375. , , .
- 2007. Upregulation of Twist-1 by NF-kappaB blocks cytotoxicity induced by chemotherapeutic drugs. Mol Cell Biol 27: 3920–3935. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Osteopontin stimulates tumor growth and activation of promatrix metalloproteinase-2 through nuclear factor-kappa B-mediated induction of membrane type 1 matrix metalloproteinase in murine melanoma cells. J Biol Chem 276: 44926–44935. , , .
- 1999. Aberrant rel/nfkb genes and activity in human cancer. Oncogene 18: 6938–6947. , .
- 2000. bcl-2 over-expression enhances NF-kappaB activity and induces mmp-9 transcription in human MCF7(ADR) breast-cancer cells. Int J Cancer 86: 188–196. , , , , , .
- 1999. Slug is a mediator of epithelial-mesenchymal cell transformation in the developing chicken heart. Dev Biol 212: 243–254. , .
- 2001. Roles of IKK kinases and protein kinase CK2 in activation of nuclear factor-kappaB in breast cancer. Cancer Res 61: 3810–3818. , , , , , .
- 2003. Mouse mammary tumor virus c-rel transgenic mice develop mammary tumors. Mol Cell Biol 23: 5738–5754. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Differential expression of the epithelial-mesenchymal transition regulators snail, SIP1, and twist in gastric cancer. Am J Pathol 161: 1881–1891. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Cellular and molecular biology of aryl hydrocarbon (Ah) receptor-mediated gene expression. Arch Toxicol Suppl 17: 99–115. , .
- 1997. The zinc-finger protein slug causes desmosome dissociation, an initial and necessary step for growth factor-induced epithelial-mesenchymal transition. J Cell Biol 137: 1403–1419. , , .
- 2001. Activation by IKKalpha of a second, evolutionary conserved, NF-kappa B signaling pathway. Science 293: 1495–1499. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Transcription repressor slug promotes carcinoma invasion and predicts outcome of patients with lung adenocarcinoma. Clin Cancer Res 11: 8070–8078. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. 7,12-dimethylbenz(a)anthracene treatment of a c-rel mouse mammary tumor cell line induces epithelial to mesenchymal transition via activation of nuclear factor-kappaB. Cancer Res 66: 2570–2575. , , , .
- 2006. Slug expression is an independent prognostic parameter for poor survival in colorectal carcinoma patients. Br J Cancer 94: 1816–1822. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. A new twist on twist—Modulation of the NF-kappa B pathway. Cell Cycle 2: 76–78. , .
- 2003. Twist regulates cytokine gene expression through a negative feedback loop that represses NF-kappaB activity. Cell 112: 169–180. , , , , .
- 1997. Aberrant nuclear factor-kappaB/Rel expression and the pathogenesis of breast cancer. J Clin Invest 100: 2952–2960. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Transient induction of cytochromes P450 1A1 and 1B1 in MCF-7 human breast cancer cells by indirubin. Biochem Pharmacol 66: 2313–2321. , , , , .
- 1999. Limb and skin abnormalities in mice lacking IKKalpha. Science 284: 313–316. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Sequence-specific transactivation of the Drosophila twist gene by the dorsal gene product. Cell 65: 1191–1201. , , , .
- 2000. Aryl hydrocarbon receptor is required for p300-mediated induction of DNA synthesis by adenovirus E1A. Mol Pharmacol 58: 845–851. , , , , .
- 2005. Negative regulation of the expressions of cytokeratins 8 and 19 by SLUG repressor protein in human breast cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 329: 508–515. , , .
- 2003. Mice lacking ZFHX1B, the gene that codes for Smad-interacting protein-1, reveal a role for multiple neural crest cell defects in the etiology of Hirschsprung disease-mental retardation syndrome. Am J Hum Genet 72: 465–470. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Nuclear factor-kappaB in development, prevention, and therapy of cancer. Clin Cancer Res 13: 1076–1082. .
- 2005. SIP1/ZEB2 induces EMT by repressing genes of different epithelial cell–cell junctions. Nucleic Acids Res 33: 6566–6578. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Study of matrix metalloproteinases and their inhibitors in breast cancer. Br J Cancer 96: 903–911. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Matrix metalloproteinases: Effectors of development and normal physiology. Genes Dev 14: 2123–2133. , .
- 1997. Cloning of the human twist gene: Its expression is retained in adult mesodermally-derived tissues. Gene 187: 83–92. , , , , , .
- 2007. Oestrogen signalling inhibits invasive phenotype by repressing RelB and its target B CL2. Nat Cell Biol 9: 470–478. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Expression of twist and wnt in human breast cancer. Anticancer Res 24: 3851–3856. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The putative oncoprotein Bcl-3 induces cyclin D1 to stimulate G(1) transition. Mol Cell Biol 21: 8428–8436. , , , ,
- 2007. Lack of the aryl hydrocarbon receptor leads to impaired activation of AKT/protein kinase B and enhanced sensitivity to apoptosis induced via the intrinsic pathway. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 320: 448–457. , , , .
- 2004. Twist, a master regulator of morphogenesis, plays an essential role in tumor metastasis. Cell 117: 927–939. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Recent advances in the regulation of matrix metalloproteinase 2 activation: From basic research to clinical implication (Review). Oncol Rep 9: 607–611. , , .
- 2004. Dual regulation of Snail by GSK-3beta-mediated phosphorylation in control of epithelial-mesenchymal transition. Nat Cell Biol 6: 931–940. , , , , , , .