Mitotic partitioning of transcription factors
Article first published online: 5 MAY 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Journal of Cellular Biochemistry
Volume 105, Issue 1, pages 1–8, 1 September 2008
How to Cite
Delcuve, G. P., He, S. and Davie, J. R. (2008), Mitotic partitioning of transcription factors. J. Cell. Biochem., 105: 1–8. doi: 10.1002/jcb.21806
- Issue published online: 21 AUG 2008
- Article first published online: 5 MAY 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 APR 2008
- Manuscript Received: 3 APR 2008
- Canadian Institute of Health Research. Grant Number: MOP-9186
- CancerCare Manitoba Foundation, Inc
- National Cancer Institute of Canada
- Canada Research Chair
- 2000. Mitotic phosphorylation of SUV39H1, a novel component of active centromeres, coincides with transient accumulation at mammalian centromeres. J Cell Sci 113: 817–829. , , , .
- 2007. New nomenclature for chromatin-modifying enzymes. Cell 131: 633–636. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Interaction of proteins with promoter elements of the human U2 snRNA genes in vivo. Gene 315: 103–112. , , .
- 1997. Association of transcriptionally silent genes with Ikaros complexes at centromeric heterochromatin. Cell 91: 845–854. , , , , , .
- 2005. CTCF binding and higher order chromatin structure of the H19 locus are maintained in mitotic chromatin. EMBO J 24: 3291–3300. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. M-phase-specific phosphorylation of the POU transcription factor GHF-1 by a cell cycle-regulated protein kinase inhibits DNA binding. Mol Cell Biol 15: 6694–6701. , , .
- 2002. TBP dynamics in living human cells: Constitutive association of TBP with mitotic chromosomes. Mol Biol Cell 13: 276–284. , , , .
- 2005. Condensed mitotic chromatin is accessible to transcription factors and chromatin structural proteins. J Cell Biol 168: 41–54. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Association of human TFIID-promoter complexes with silenced mitotic chromatin in vivo. Nat Cell Biol 4: 79–82. , .
- 2008. Phosphorylation by c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase 1 regulates the stability of transcription factor Sp1 during mitosis. Mol Biol Cell 19: 1139–1151. , , , , , .
- 2006. Enhanced histone acetylation and transcription: A dynamic perspective. Mol Cell 23: 289–296. , , .
- 2008. Subnuclear localization and mobility are key indicators of PAX3 dysfunction in Waardenburg syndrome. Hum Mol Genet (in press). , , .
- 2008. Nuclear organization and chromatin dynamics—Sp1, Sp3 and histone deacetylases. Adv Enzyme Regul (in press). , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Mitotic accumulations of PML protein contribute to the re-establishment of PML nuclear bodies in G1. J Cell Sci 119: 1034–1042. , , , , .
- 2003. The double bromodomain protein Brd4 binds to acetylated chromatin during interphase and mitosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 100: 8758–8763. , , , , .
- 2002. A common mechanism for mitotic inactivation of C2H2 zinc finger DNA-binding domains. Genes Dev 16: 2985–2990. , , , , , .
- 2007. Mitosis-specific MPM-2 phosphorylation of DNA topoisomerase IIalpha is regulated directly by protein phosphatase 2A. Biochem J 403: 235–242. , .
- 2005. Regulation of HP1-chromatin binding by histone H3 methylation and phosphorylation. Nature 438: 1116–1122. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Phosphatase inhibition leads to histone deacetylases 1 and 2 phosphorylation and disruption of corepressor interactions. J Biol Chem 277: 19618–19626. , , , .
- 1991. p67SRF is a constitutive nuclear protein implicated in the modulation of genes required throughout the G1 period. Cell Regul 2: 575–588. , , , , .
- 1997. Mitotic repression of the transcriptional machinery. Trends Biochem Sci 22: 197–202. , .
- 1997. Nuclear distribution of transcription factors in relation to sites of transcription and RNA polymerase II. J Cell Sci 110: 1781–1791. , , , .
- 2006. Sp1 and Sp3 foci distribution throughout mitosis. J Cell Sci 119: 1063–1070. , .
- 2005. Differential intranuclear organization of transcription factors Sp1 and Sp3. Mol Biol Cell 16: 4073–4083. , , , .
- 1998. Bookmarking genes for activation in condensed mitotic chromosomes. BioEssays 20: 275–279. , .
- 2005. Disappearance of nucleosome positioning in mitotic chromatin in vivo. J Biol Chem 280: 14530–14535. , .
- 2007. Chromatin fine structure of the c-MYC insulator element/DNase I-hypersensitive site I is not preserved during mitosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 104: 15741–15746. , , .
- 2005. Histone modifications defining active genes persist after transcriptional and mitotic inactivation. EMBO J 24: 347–357. , .
- 2001. Regulation of global acetylation in mitosis through loss of histone acetyltransferases and deacetylases from chromatin. J Biol Chem 276: 38307–38319. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Molecular basis for the recognition of phosphorylated and phosphoacetylated histone H3 by 14-3-3. Mol Cell 20: 199–211. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Role for the PP2A/B56delta phosphatase in regulating 14-3-3 release from Cdc25 to control mitosis. Cell 127: 759–773. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Displacement of sequence-specific transcription factors from mitotic chromatin. Cell 83: 29–38. , , , , .
- 2004. Tethering of HP1 proteins to chromatin is relieved by phosphoacetylation of histone H3. EMBO Rep 5: 490–496. , , , , .
- 2006. The relationship between histone H3 phosphorylation and acetylation throughout the mammalian cell cycle. Biochem Cell Biol 84: 640–657. , .
- 2006. Dynamic changes in histone H3 lysine 9 methylations: Identification of a mitosis-specific function for dynamic methylation in chromosome congression and segregation. J Biol Chem 281: 8888–8897. , , , , .
- 1997. Marking of active genes on mitotic chromosomes. Nature 388: 895–899. , , .
- 2001. Immunolocalization of HP1 proteins in metaphasic mammalian chromosomes. Methods Cell Sci 23: 171–174. , , , .
- 1996. The hbrm and BRG-1 proteins, components of the human SNF/SWI complex, are phosphorylated and excluded from the condensed chromosomes during mitosis. EMBO J 15: 3394–3402. , , , , .
- 2002. A role for cell cycle-regulated phosphorylation in Groucho-mediated transcriptional repression. J Biol Chem 277: 51049–51057. , , , .
- 1997. Mitotic repression of RNA polymerase II transcription is accompanied by release of transcription elongation complexes. Mol Cell Biol 17: 5791–5802. , .
- 2004. Histones and histone modifications. Curr Biol 14: R546–R551. , .
- 2003. Sequential entry of components of the gene expression machinery into daughter nuclei. Mol Biol Cell 14: 1043–1057. , , , .
- 2007. Methylation of lysine 4 on histone H3: Intricacy of writing and reading a single epigenetic mark. Mol Cell 25: 15–30. , , .
- 2001. Nuclear envelope dynamics. Biochem Cell Biol 79: 533–542. , , , , .
- 1998. The human polycomb group complex associates with pericentromeric heterochromatin to form a novel nuclear domain. J Cell Biol 142: 887–898. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Genome regulation by polycomb and trithorax proteins. Cell 128: 735–745. , , , , .
- 1991. Mitotic phosphorylation of the Oct-1 homeodomain and regulation of Oct-1 DNA binding activity. Science 254: 1814–1816. , , .
- 1998. Mitotic inactivation of a human SWI/SNF chromatin remodeling complex. Genes Dev 12: 2842–2851. , , , .
- 2006. Histone H3 Lys 4 methylation: Caught in a bind? Genes Dev 20: 2779–2786. , .
- 2007. Blurring the boundary: The nuclear envelope extends its reach. Science 318: 1408–1412. , , .
- 2008. 14-3-3proteins recognize a histone code at histone H3 and are required for transcriptional activation. EMBO J 27: 88–99. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Exploring cellular memory molecules marking competent and active transcriptions. BMC Mol Biol 8: 31. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Mechanism of hsp70i gene bookmarking. Science 307: 421–423. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. The forkhead transcription factor FoxI1 remains bound to condensed mitotic chromosomes and stably remodels chromatin structure. Mol Cell Biol 26: 155–168. , , , , .
- 2007a. Mitotic occupancy and lineage-specific transcriptional control of rRNA genes by Runx2. Nature 445: 442–446. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007b. Mitotic retention of gene expression patterns by the cell fate-determining transcription factor Runx2. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 104: 3189–3194. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Mitotic partitioning and selective reorganization of tissue-specific transcription factors in progeny cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 100: 14852–14857. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Dynamic association of the mammalian insulator protein CTCF with centrosomes and the midbody. Exp Cell Res 294: 86–93. , , , , .