Retroviral vector silencing during iPS cell induction: An epigenetic beacon that signals distinct pluripotent states
Article first published online: 4 SEP 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Journal of Cellular Biochemistry
Volume 105, Issue 4, pages 940–948, 1 November 2008
How to Cite
Hotta, A. and Ellis, J. (2008), Retroviral vector silencing during iPS cell induction: An epigenetic beacon that signals distinct pluripotent states. J. Cell. Biochem., 105: 940–948. doi: 10.1002/jcb.21912
- Issue published online: 24 OCT 2008
- Article first published online: 4 SEP 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 AUG 2008
- Manuscript Received: 1 AUG 2008
- Canadian Institutes for Health Research (CIHR). Grant Number: FRN 81129
- Stem Cell Network (SCN)
- 2008. Generation of pluripotent stem cells from adult mouse liver and stomach cells. Science 321: 699–702. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Chromatin signatures of pluripotent cell lines. Nat Cell Biol 8: 532–538. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. A bivalent chromatin structure marks key developmental genes in embryonic stem cells. Cell 125: 315–326. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Generation of induced pluripotent stem cells in the absence of drug selection. Cell Stem Cell 1: 245–247. , , , .
- 2008. Sequential expression of pluripotency markers during direct reprogramming of mouse somatic cells. Cell Stem Cell 2: 151–159. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Nanog safeguards pluripotency and mediates germline development. Nature 450: 1230–1234. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Retroviral expression in embryonic stem cells and hematopoietic stem cells. Mol Cell Biol 20: 7419–7426. , , , , .
- 2005. Silencing and variegation of gammaretrovirus and lentivirus vectors. Hum Gene Ther 16: 1241–1246. .
- 2007. Retrovirus silencing by an epigenetic TRIM. Cell 131: 13–14. , , .
- 2005. Histone H1 depletion in mammals alters global chromatin structure but causes specific changes in gene regulation. Cell 123: 1199–1212. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Treatment of sickle cell anemia mouse model with iPS cells generated from autologous skin. Science 318: 1920–1923. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Brahma links the SWI/SNF chromatin-remodeling complex with MeCP2-dependent transcriptional silencing. Nat Genet 37: 254–264. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Does retroviral insertional mutagenesis play a role in the generation of induced pluripotent stem cells? Mol Ther 16: 1354–1355. .
- 2005. Dynamic DNA methylation and histone modifications contribute to lentiviral transgene silencing in murine embryonic carcinoma cells. J Virol 79: 13497–13508. , , .
- 2008. Induction of pluripotent stem cells by defined factors is greatly improved by small-molecule compounds. Nat Biotechnol 26: 795–797. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Stem cells, the molecular circuitry of pluripotency and nuclear reprogramming. Cell 132: 567–582. , .
- 2007. High-frequency epigenetic repression and silencing of retroviruses can be antagonized by histone deacetylase inhibitors and transcriptional activators, but uniform reactivation in cell clones is restricted by additional mechanisms. J Virol 81: 2592–2604. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Pluripotent stem cells induced from adult neural stem cells by reprogramming with two factors. Nature 454: 646–650. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Chromatin modifications and their function. Cell 128: 693–705. .
- 2008. Nanog and Oct4 associate with unique transcriptional repression complexes in embryonic stem cells. Nat Cell Biol 10: 731–739. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Germline transmission and tissue-specific expression of transgenes delivered by lentiviral vectors. Science 295: 868–872. , , , , .
- 2000. Dynamic analysis of proviral induction and De Novo methylation: Implications for a histone deacetylase-independent, methylation density-dependent mechanism of transcriptional repression. Mol Cell Biol 20: 842–850. , , , , , .
- 2001. Methylation-mediated proviral silencing is associated with MeCP2 recruitment and localized histone H3 deacetylation. Mol Cell Biol 21: 7913–7922. , , .
- 2008. Generation of human induced pluripotent stem cells from dermal fibroblasts. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 105: 2883–2888. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Directly reprogrammed fibroblasts show global epigenetic remodeling and widespread tissue contribution. Cell Stem Cell 1: 55–70. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Improved efficiency and pace of generating induced pluripotent stem cells from human adult and fetal fibroblasts. Stem Cells 26: 1998–2005. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Heterogeneity of pluripotent marker gene expression in colonies generated in human iPS cell induction culture. Stem Cell Res 1: 1–2. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Hyperdynamic plasticity of chromatin proteins in pluripotent embryonic stem cells. Dev Cell 10: 105–116. , , , , , .
- 2008. Dissecting direct reprogramming through integrative genomic analysis. Nature 454: 49–55. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Instability of retroviral DNA methylation in embryonic stem cells. Stem Cells 26: 1166–1173. , .
- 2002. Maintenance of integrated proviral gene expression requires Brm, a catalytic subunit of SWI/SNF complex. J Biol Chem 277: 15859–15864. , , , , , .
- 2008. Generation of induced pluripotent stem cells without Myc from mouse and human fibroblasts. Nat Biotechnol 26: 101–106. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Quantitative expression of Oct-3/4 defines differentiation, dedifferentiation or self-renewal of ES cells. Nat Genet 24: 372–376. , , .
- 2007. Generation of germline-competent induced pluripotent stem cells. Nature 448: 313–317. , , .
- 2001. Silencing of gene expression: Implications for design of retrovirus vectors. Rev Med Virol 11: 205–217. , .
- 2000. Retrovirus vector silencing is de novo methylase independent and marked by a repressive histone code. EMBO J 19: 5884–5894. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Reprogramming of human somatic cells to pluripotency with defined factors. Nature 451: 141–146. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Transcription-dependent gene looping of the HIV-1 provirus is dictated by recognition of pre-mRNA processing signals. Mol Cell 29: 56–68. , , , , .
- 2002. Transgenesis by lentiviral vectors: Lack of gene silencing in mammalian embryonic stem cells and preimplantation embryos. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99: 2140–2145. , , , .
- 2008. Identification of cellular proteins that maintain retroviral epigenetic silencing: Evidence for an antiviral response. J Virol 82: 2313–2323. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Real-time fluorescence tracking of dynamic transgene variegation in stem cells. Mol Ther 15: 810–817. , , , , , .
- 2008. A combined chemical and genetic approach for the generation of induced pluripotent stem cells. Cell Stem Cell 2: 525–528. , , , , , .
- 2004. YY1 DNA binding and PcG recruitment requires CtBP. Genes Dev 18: 2596–2601. , .
- 2008. Defining molecular cornerstones during fibroblast to iPS cell reprogramming in mouse. Cell Stem Cell 2: 230–240. , , , .
- 2004. Mutation of CpGs in the murine stem cell virus retroviral vector long terminal repeat represses silencing in embryonic stem cells. J Biol Chem 279: 34–41. , , .
- 2006. Induction of pluripotent stem cells from mouse embryonic and adult fibroblast cultures by defined factors. Cell 126: 663–676. , .
- 2007. Induction of pluripotent stem cells from adult human fibroblasts by defined factors. Cell 131: 861–872. , , , , , , .
- 1977. Virus infection of murine teratocarcinoma stem cell lines. Cell 12: 973–982. , , , .
- 2006. A protein interaction network for pluripotency of embryonic stem cells. Nature 444: 364–368. , , , , , , .
- 2007. HIV integration site selection: Analysis by massively parallel pyrosequencing reveals association with epigenetic modifications. Genome Res 17: 1186–1194. , , , , .
- 2006. Identification and characterization of two novel classes of small RNAs in the mouse germline: Retrotransposon-derived siRNAs in oocytes and germline small RNAs in testes. Genes Dev 20: 1732–1743. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. In vitro reprogramming of fibroblasts into a pluripotent ES-cell-like state. Nature 448: 318–324. , , , , , , , .
- 2008a. A drug-inducible transgenic system for direct reprogramming of multiple somatic cell types. Nat Biotechnol 26: 916–924. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008b. Neurons derived from reprogrammed fibroblasts functionally integrate into the fetal brain and improve symptoms of rats with Parkinson's disease. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 105: 5856–5861. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Distinctive nuclear organisation of centromeres and regions involved in pluripotency in human embryonic stem cells. J Cell Sci 118: 3861–3868. , , , .
- 2007. TRIM28 mediates primer binding site-targeted silencing of murine leukemia virus in embryonic cells. Cell 131: 46–57. , .
- 2004. Retrovirus silencing, variegation, extinction, and memory are controlled by a dynamic interplay of multiple epigenetic modifications. Mol Ther 10: 27–36. , , , , , .
- 2007. Induced pluripotent stem cell lines derived from human somatic cells. Science 318: 1917–1920. , , , , , , , , , , , .