Multiphoton tomography visualizes collagen fibers in the tumor microenvironment that maintain cancer-cell anchorage and shape
Article first published online: 14 NOV 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Cellular Biochemistry
Volume 114, Issue 1, pages 99–102, January 2013
How to Cite
Uchugonova, A., Zhao, M., Weinigel, M., Zhang, Y., Bouvet, M., Hoffman, R. M. and König, K. (2013), Multiphoton tomography visualizes collagen fibers in the tumor microenvironment that maintain cancer-cell anchorage and shape. J. Cell. Biochem., 114: 99–102. doi: 10.1002/jcb.24305
- Issue published online: 14 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 14 NOV 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 6 AUG 2012 09:23AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 18 JUL 2012
- National Cancer Institute. Grant Number: CA132791
- 1978. The control of mRNA production, translation and turnover in suspended and reattached anchorage-dependent fibroblasts. Cell 14:931–939. , , .
- 1980. Protein synthesis requires cell-surface contact while nuclear events respond to cell shape in anchorage-dependent fibroblasts. Cell 21:365–372. , , .
- 2006. Essential role for activation of the Polycomb Group (PcG) protein chromatin silencing pathway in metastatic prostate cancer. Cell Cycle 5:1886–1901. , , , , , .
- 2003. Dynamic imaging of collagen and its modulation in tumor in vivo using second-harmonic generation. Nat Med 9:796–800. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Second harmonic generation imaging microscopy: Applications to diseases diagnostics. Anal Chem 83:3224–3231. .
- 2009. Adhesion and migration of ovarian cancer cells on crosslinked laminin fibers nanofabricated by multiphoton excited photochemistry. Integr Biol (Camb) 1:469–476. , , , .
- 1978. Altered translatability of messenger RNA from suspended anchorage-dependent fibroblasts: Reversal upon cell attachment to a surface. Cell 15:627–637. , , , .
- 1975. Influence of geometry on control of cell growth. Biochim Biophys Acta 417:211–236. , .
- 1978. Role of cell shape in growth control. Nature 273:345–349. , .
- 2012. Classifying collective cancer cell invasion. Nat Cell Biol 14:777–783. , , , .
- 2005. The multiple uses of fluorescent proteins to visualize cancer in vivo. Nat Rev Cancer 5:796–806. .
- 2006a. Subcellular imaging in the live mouse. Nat Protoc 1:775–782. , .
- 2006b. Color-coded fluorescence imaging of tumor-host interactions. Nat Protoc 1:928–935. , .
- 2006c. Whole-body imaging with fluorescent proteins. Nat Protoc 1:1429–1438. , .
- 2008. Can cancer be reversed by engineering the tumor microenvironment? Semin Cancer Biol 18:356–364. .
- 2008. Clinical multiphoton tomography. J Biophotonics 1:13–23. .
- 2003. High-resolution multiphoton tomography of human skin with subcellular spatial resolution and picosecond time resolution. J Biomed Opt 8:432–439. , .
- 2006. Of extracellular matrix, scaffolds, and signaling: Tissue architecture regulates development, homeostasis, and cancer. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 22:287–309. , .
- 2006. Collagen reorganization at the tumor-stromal interface facilitates local invasion. BMC Med 4(1):38. , , , , , .
- 2009a. Multiphoton microscopy and fluorescence lifetime imaging microscopy (FLIM) to monitor metastasis and the tumor microenvironment. Clin Exp Metastasis 26:357–370. , , .
- 2009b. Shining new light on 3D cell motility and the metastatic process. Trends Cell Biol 19:638–648. , , .
- 2012. Live imaging of stem cell and progeny behavior in physiological hair-follicle regeneration. Nature 487(7408):496–499. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Two-photon deep tissue ex vivo imaging of mouse dermal and subcutaneous structures. Opt Express 3:339–350. , , .
- 2011. Watching stem cells in the skin of living mice noninvasively. Cell Cycle 10:2017–2020. , , , .
- 2002. Direct external imaging of nascent cancer, tumor progression, angiogenesis, and metastasis on internal organs in the fluorescent orthotopic model. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99:3824–3829. , , , , , , , , , .