The U5 snRNA internal loop 1 is a platform for Brr2, Snu114 and Prp8 protein binding during U5 snRNP assembly
Article first published online: 15 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry Published by Wiley Periodicals Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Journal of Cellular Biochemistry
Volume 114, Issue 12, pages 2770–2784, December 2013
How to Cite
Nancollis, V., Ruckshanthi, J. P.D., Frazer, L. N. and O'Keefe, R. T. (2013), The U5 snRNA internal loop 1 is a platform for Brr2, Snu114 and Prp8 protein binding during U5 snRNP assembly. J. Cell. Biochem., 114: 2770–2784. doi: 10.1002/jcb.24625
- Issue published online: 15 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 15 OCT 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 16 JUL 2013 02:46AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 28 AUG 2012
- Wellcome Trust. Grant Number: 079536
- 2008. Is the spliceosome a ribonucleoprotein enzyme? Nat Struct Mol Biol 15:1235–1237. .
- 1998. The human U5-220kD protein (hPrp8) forms a stable RNA-free complex with several U5-specific proteins, including an RNA unwindase, a homologue of ribosomal elongation factor EF-2, and a novel WD-40 protein. Mol Cell Biol 18:6756–6766. , , , , .
- 2001. ATP-dependent interaction of yeast U5 snRNA loop 1 with the 5′ splice site. RNA 7:1013–1023. , , .
- 1995. SLU7 and a novel activity, SSF1, act during the PRP16-dependent step of yeast pre-mRNA splicing. EMBO J 14:4001–4009. , .
- 2005. Genetic analysis reveals a role for the C terminus of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae GTPase Snu114 during spliceosome activation. Genetics 170:1063–1080. , .
- 2006. Assembly of Snu114 into U5 snRNP requires Prp8 and a functional GTPase domain. RNA 12:862–871. , .
- 2009. Mechanisms of alternative splicing regulation: Insights from molecular and genomics approaches. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 10:741–754. , .
- 2000. The question remains: Is the spliceosome a ribozyme? Nat Struct Biol 7:850–854. , .
- 1998. Protein-RNA interactions in the U5 snRNP of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. RNA 4:1239–1250. , , , , .
- 2009. The evolutionarily conserved core design of the catalytic activation step of the yeast spliceosome. Mol Cell 36:593–608. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Architecture of the U5 small nuclear RNA. Mol Cell Biol 14:2180–2190. , , .
- 2008. The role of Snu114p during pre-mRNA splicing. Biochem Soc Trans 36:551–553. , , .
- 2009. Analysis of synthetic lethality reveals genetic interactions between the GTPase Snu114p and snRNAs in the catalytic core of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae spliceosome. Genetics 183:497–515. , , .
- 1999. Identification by mass spectrometry and functional analysis of novel proteins of the yeast [U4/U6.U5] tri-snRNP. EMBO J 18:4535–4548. , , , , , .
- 2005. Prp8 protein: At the heart of the spliceosome. RNA 11:533–557. , .
- 2010. Brr2p RNA helicase with a split personality: Insights into structure and function. Biochem Soc Trans 38:1105–1109. , .
- 1996. Domain analysis of human U5 RNA. Cap trimethylation, protein binding, and spliceosome assembly. J Biol Chem 271:19001–19007. , , .
- 2010. The function of the NineTeen Complex (NTC) in regulating spliceosome conformations and fidelity during pre-mRNA splicing. Biochem Soc Trans 38:1110–1115. , , .
- 2004. A versatile toolbox for PCR-based tagging of yeast genes: New fluorescent proteins, more markers and promoter substitution cassettes. Yeast 21:947–962. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Tackling the protease problem in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Methods Enzymol 194:428–453. .
- 2009. Mutations in the U5 snRNA result in altered splicing of subsets of pre-mRNAs and reduced stability of Prp8. RNA 15:1292–1304. , , , .
- 1999. The first ATPase domain of the yeast 246-kDa protein is required for in vivo unwinding of the U4/U6 duplex. RNA 5:959–971. , .
- 2006. The network of protein-protein interactions within the human U4/U6.U5 tri-snRNP. RNA 12:1418–1430. , , , .
- 2009. ATP-dependent unwinding of U4/U6 snRNAs by the Brr2 helicase requires the C terminus of Prp8. Nat Struct Mol Biol 16:42–48. , , .
- 2008. The U1, U2 and U5 snRNAs crosslink to the 5′ exon during yeast pre-mRNA splicing. Nucleic Acids Res 36:814–825. , .
- 2006. Mutation in the U2 snRNA influences exon interactions of U5 snRNA loop 1 during pre-mRNA splicing. EMBO J 25:3813–3822. , , .
- 2002. Direct probing of RNA structure and RNA-protein interactions in purified HeLa cell's and yeast spliceosomal U4/U6.U5 tri-snRNP particles. J Mol Biol 317:631–649. , , , , .
- 1997. The role of U5 snRNP in pre-mRNA splicing. EMBO J 16:5797–5800. .
- 1991. Mutations in yeast U5 snRNA alter the specificity of 5′ splice-site cleavage. Cell 65:115–123. , .
- 1992. U5 snRNA interacts with exon sequences at 5′ and 3′ splice sites. Cell 68:743–754. , .
- 1995. snRNA interactions at 5′ and 3′ splice sites monitored by photoactivated crosslinking in yeast spliceosomes. RNA 1:968–980. , , .
- 2002. Mutations in U5 snRNA loop 1 influence the splicing of different genes in vivo. Nucleic Acids Res 30:5476–5484. .
- 1998. Functional analysis of the U5 snRNA loop 1 in the second catalytic step of yeast pre-mRNA splicing. EMBO J 17:565–574. , .
- 1996. The invariant U5 snRNA loop 1 sequence is dispensable for the first catalytic step of pre-mRNA splicing in yeast. Cell 86:679–689. , , .
- 2003. Splicing double: Insights from the second spliceosome. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 4:960–970. , .
- 2009. Common design principles in the spliceosomal RNA helicase Brr2 and in the Hel308 DNA helicase. Mol Cell 35:454–466. , , , , , , .
- 1998. RNA unwinding in U4/U6 snRNPs requires ATP hydrolysis and the DEIH-box splicing factor Brr2. Curr Biol 8:847–855. , .
- 2006. The EF-G-like GTPase Snu114p regulates spliceosome dynamics mediated by Brr2p, a DExD/H box ATPase. Mol Cell 23:389–399. , , , .
- 2008. “ Nought may endure but mutability”: Spliceosome dynamics and the regulation of splicing. Mol Cell 30:657–666. , , .
- 1993. The U5 and U6 small nuclear RNAs as the active site components of the spliceosome. Science 262:1989–1996. , .
- 2001. Biochemical and genetic analyses of the U5, U6, and U4/U6.U5 small nuclear ribonucleoproteins from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. RNA 7:1543–1553. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Composition and functional characterization of the yeast spliceosomal penta-snRNP. Mol Cell 9:31–44. , , , , , , .
- 2000. A general approach for identification of RNA-protein crosslinking sites within native human spliceosomal snRNPs: Analysis of RNA-protein contacts in native U1 and [U4/U6.U5] snRNPs. J Biol Chem 275:41458–41468. , , , , .
- 2001. Functional contacts with a range of splicing proteins suggest a central role for Brr2p in the dynamic control of the order of events in spliceosomes of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics 157:1451–1467. , .
- 2009. The spliceosome: Design principles of a dynamic RNP machine. Cell 136:701–718. , , .
- 1992. Site-specific cross-linking of mammalian U5 snRNP to the 5′ splice site before the first step of pre-mRNA splicing. Genes Dev 6:2542–2553. , , .
- 1996. An RNA-dependent ATPase associated with U2/U6 snRNAs in pre-mRNA splicing. Nature 381:709–713. , , , , .
- 1998. Synthetic lethality of yeast slt mutations with U2 small nuclear RNA mutations suggests functional interactions between U2 and U5 snRNPs that are important for both steps of pre-mRNA splicing. Mol Cell Biol 18:2055–2066. , , , , , .
- 2009. Structural evidence for consecutive Hel308-like modules in the spliceosomal ATPase Brr2. Nat Struct Mol Biol 16:731–739. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Autosomal-dominant retinitis pigmentosa caused by a mutation in SNRNP200, a gene required for unwinding of U4/U6 snRNAs. Am J Hum Genet 85:617–627. , , , , , , , , , , , , .