Cripto: A tumor growth factor and more
Article first published online: 11 JAN 2002
Copyright © 2002 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Journal of Cellular Physiology
Volume 190, Issue 3, pages 267–278, March 2002
How to Cite
Adamson, E. D., Minchiotti, G. and Salomon, D. S. (2002), Cripto: A tumor growth factor and more. J. Cell. Physiol., 190: 267–278. doi: 10.1002/jcp.10072
- Issue published online: 24 JAN 2002
- Article first published online: 11 JAN 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 NOV 2001
- Manuscript Received: 2 OCT 2001
- Department of Defense. Grant Number: DAMD17-01-1-0165
- 1998. Disulfide bond structure of human epidermal growth factor receptor. J Biol Chem 273: 11150–11157. , , , , , .
- 2001. Activins as regulators of branching morphogenesis [review]. Dev Biol 238: 1–12. , .
- 2000. Loss-of-function mutations in the EGF-CFC gene CFC1 are associated with human left–right laterality defects. Nat Genet 26: 365–369. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Functions of cell surface heparan sulfate proteoglycans. Annu Rev Biochem 68: 729–777. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Cripto-1 indirectly stimulates the tyrosine phosphorylation of erb B-4 through a novel receptor. J Biol Chem 274: 8624–8629. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Identification of Cripto-1 in human milk. Breast Cancer Res Treat 66: 1–7. , , , , , .
- 2002. Cripto-1 activates Nodal and ALK4 dependent and independent signalling pathways in mammary epithelial cells. (In press). , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Identification and biological characterization of an epidermal growth factor-related protein: Cripto-1. J Biol Chem 269: 17320–17328. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Muc4/sialomucin complex in the mammary gland and breast cancer. J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia 6: 323–337. , , , , , .
- 1996. Interleukin 6 acts as a paracrine growth factor in human mammary carcinoma cell lines. Clin Cancer Res 2: 215–221. , , .
- 1991. Expression of cripto, a novel gene of the epidermal growth factor gene family, leads to in vitro transformation of a normal mouse mammary epithelium cell line. Cancer Res 51: 1051–1054. , , , , .
- 1989. Molecular characterization of a gene of the ‘EGF family’ expressed in undifferentiated human NTERA2 teratocarcinoma cells. EMBO J 8: 1987–1991. , , , , , .
- 2000. Subtractive hybridization identifies chick-cripto, a novel EGF-CFC ortholog expressed during gastrulation, neurulation and early cardiogenesis. Gene 255: 205–217. , .
- 1999. EGF-related peptides are involved in the proliferation and survival of MDA-MB-468 human breast carcinoma cells. Int J Cancer 80: 589–594. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Simultaneous blockage of different EGF-like growth factors results in efficient growth inhibition of human colon carcinoma xenografts. Oncogene 19: 5863–5871. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Cripto-1 inhibits beta-casein expression in mammary epithelial cells through a p21ras-and phosphatidylinositol 3′-kinase-dependent pathway. Cell Growth Differ 8: 1257–1266. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Cripto-1 induces apoptosis in HC-11 mouse mammary epithelial cells. Cell Death Differ 7: 189–196. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Proteoglycans: Pericellular and cell surface multireceptors that integrate external stimuli in the mammary gland. J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia 6: 253–273. , , , , .
- 1998. Cripto is required for correct orientation of the anterior–posterior axis in the mouse embryo. Nature 395: 702–707. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Isolation and characterization of the CRIPTO autosomal gene and its X-linked related sequence. Am J Hum Genet 49: 555–565. , , , , , .
- 1993. The murine cripto gene: Expression during mesoderm induction and early heart morphogenesis. Development 118: 1157–1168. , , , , , .
- 1997. Expression and function of members of the cytokine receptor superfamily on breast cancer cells. Oncogene 14: 661–669. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Cripto-1 induces phosphatidylinositol 3′-kinase-dependent phosphorylation of AKT and glycogen synthase kinase 3 beta in human cervical carcinoma cells. Cancer Res 59: 4502–4505. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Cripto-1-induced increase in vimentin expression is associated with enhanced migration of human Caski cervical carcinoma cells. Exp Cell Res 257: 223–229. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Clinicopathological implication of cripto expression in early stage invasive cervical carcinomas. Eur J Cancer 36: 1002–1007. , , , , , .
- 1995. Leukemia inhibitory factor binds to human breast cancer cells and stimulates their proliferation. J Interferon Cytokine Res 15: 905–913. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Constitutive activation of Stat3 by the Src and JAK tyrosine kinases participates in growth regulation of human breast carcinoma cells. Oncogene 20: 2499–2513. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. The EGF-CFC protein one-eyed pinhead is essential for nodal signaling. Cell 97: 121–132. , , , , , .
- 1997. Expression of epidermal growth factor-related proteins in the aged adult mouse mammary gland and their relationship to tumorigenesis. J Cell Physiol 170: 47–56. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Loss of a gp130 cardiac muscle cell survival pathway is a critical event in the onset of heart failure during biomechanical stress. Cell 97: 189–198. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Fibroblast growth factor receptor signalling has a role in lobuloalveolar development of the mammary gland. J Cell Sci 110: 1261–1268. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Expression of epidermal growth factor family gene members in early mouse development. Dev Dyn 201: 216–226. , , .
- 1999. ErbB4 signaling in the mammary gland is required for lobuloalveolar development and Stat5 activation during lactation. J Cell Biol 147: 77–88. , , , .
- 1997. Cripto enhances the tyrosine phosphorylation of Shc and activates mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) in mammary epithelial cells. J Biol Chem 272: 3330–3335. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Detection and location of amphiregulin and Cripto-1 expression in the developing postnatal mouse mammary gland. Mol Reprod Dev 41: 277–286. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Detection of amphiregulin and Cripto-1 in mammary tumors from transgenic mice. Mol Carcinog 15: 44–56. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. The identification of two novel ligands of the FGF receptor by a yeast screening method and their activity in Xenopus development. Cell 83: 621–630. , , .
- 1998. Reduction of Cripto-1 expression by a hammerhead-shaped RNA molecule results from inhibition of translation rather than mRNA cleavage. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 245: 774–779. , .
- 1997. Leukemia inhibitor factor, a potent cardiac hypertrophic cytokine, activates the JAK/STAT pathway in rat cardiomyocytes. Circ Res 81: 656–663. , , , , , , .
- 1997. A lipid-anchored Grb2-binding protein that links FGF-receptor activation to the Ras/MAPK signaling pathway. Cell 89: 693–702. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Nodal signaling uses activin and transforming growth factor-beta receptor-regulated Smads. J Biol Chem 276: 656–661. , , , , , .
- 2001. Xenopus FRS2 is involved in early embryogenesis in cooperation with the Src family kinase Laloo. EMBO Rep 2: 727–735. , , , .
- 2001. The epidermal growth factor receptor regulates interaction of the human DF3/MUC1 carcinoma antigen with c-Src and beta-catenin. J Biol Chem 276: 35239–35242. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Characterization of the mouse Tdgf1 gene and Tdgf pseudogenes. Mamm Genome 7: 344–348. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Chemical synthesis, structural modeling, and biological activity of the epidermal growth factor-like domain of human cripto. Biochemistry 36: 3837–3845. , , , , , , , .
- 1986. Properties of mouse mammary epithelial cell lines characterized by in vivo transplantation and in vitro immunocytochemical methods. J Natl Cancer Inst 76: 1143–1156. , , , .
- 2000. Membrane-anchorage of Cripto protein by glycosylphosphatidylinositol and its distribution during early mouse development. Mech Dev 90: 133–142. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Structure-function analysis of the EGF-CFC family member Cripto identifies residues essential for nodal signalling. Development 128: 4501–4510. , , , , , .
- 1998. Cripto: Roles in mammary cell growth, survival, differentiation and transformation. Cell Death Differ 5: 440–449. , , .
- 1999. Preneoplastic mammary tumor markers: Cripto and Amphiregulin are overexpressed in hyperplastic stages of tumor progression in transgenic mice. Int J Cancer 81: 588–591. , , , .
- 1994. Epidermal growth factor-related peptides in the pathogenesis of human breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat 29: 11–27. , , , .
- 1995. Expression of messenger RNA for amphiregulin, heregulin, and cripto-1, three new members of the epidermal growth factor family, in human breast carcinomas. Breast Cancer Res Treat 35: 293–297. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The role of EGF-related peptides in tumor growth. Front Biosci 6: D685–D707. , , , .
- 2000. FRS2 proteins recruit intracellular signaling pathways by binding to diverse targets on fibroblast growth factor and nerve growth factor receptors. Mol Cell Biol 20: 979–989. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Differential immunohistochemical detection of transforming growth factor alpha, amphiregulin and CRIPTO in human normal and malignant breast tissues. Int J Cancer 65: 51–56. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Identification of distant homologues of fibroblast growth factors suggests a common ancestor for all beta-trefoil proteins. J Mol Biol 302: 1041–1047. , .
- 2001. The orphan receptor ALK7 and the Activin receptor ALK4 mediate signaling by Nodal proteins during vertebrate development. Genes Dev 15: 2010–2022. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The splice variants of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and their receptors. J Cell Sci 114: 853–865. , .
- 1995. Regional localization of the human EGF-like growth factor CRIPTO gene (TDGF-1) to chromosome 3p21. Hum Genet 95: 229–230. , , , , , .
- 1999. Cripto: A novel epidermal growth factor (EGF)-related peptide in mammary gland development and neoplasia [review]. Bioessays 21(1): 61–70. , , .
- 2000. The EGF-CFC family: Novel epidermal growth factor-related proteins in development and cancer. Endocr Relat Cancer 7: 199–226. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The neurotrophic factors in non-neuronal tissues. Cell Mol Life Sci 58: 1061–1066. .
- 2001. Axis formation and patterning in zebrafish. Curr Opin Genet Dev 11: 393–404. .
- 2000. Nodal signalling in vertebrate development. Nature 403: 385–389. , .
- 2001. Fucosylation of Cripto is required for its ability to facilitate Nodal signaling. J Biol Chem 276: 37769–37778. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. The EGF-CFC gene family in vertebrate development. Trends Genet 16: 303–309. , .
- 1997. A differential display strategy identifies Cryptic, a novel EGF-related gene expressed in the axial and lateral mesoderm during mouse gastrulation. Development 124: 429–442. , , .
- 1992. Molecular cloning of the transmembrane component of the 13762 mammary adenocarcinoma sialomucin complex. A new member of the epidermal growth factor superfamily. J Biol Chem 267: 16341–16346. , , , .
- 1980. A complex of two cell surface glycoproteins from ascites mammary adenocarcinoma cells. J Biol Chem 255: 12051–12059. , .
- 2001. Cripto-1 enhances migration and branching morphogenesis of mouse mammary epithelial cells. Exp Cell Res 266: 95–105. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Cardiotrophin-1 and the role of gp130-dependent signaling pathways in cardiac growth and development [review] [98 refs]. J Mol Med 75(7): 492–501. , .
- 1998. Cardiac differentiation is blocked in embryonic stem cells lacking Cripto-1. Dev Biol 196: 237–247. , , , .
- 1999. Abrogation of the Cripto gene in mouse leads to failure of post-gastrulation morphogensis and lack of differentiation of cardiomyocytes. Development 126: 483–494. , , , .
- 2001. Nodal signals to Smads through Cripto-dependent and Cripto-independent mechanisms. Mol Cell 7: 949–957. , .
- 1998. The expression and localization of fibroblast growth factor-1 (FGF-1) and FGF receptor-1 (FGFR-1) in human breast cancer. Clin Immunol Immunopathol 89: 28–34. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Positional cloning identifies zebrafish one-eyed pinhead as a permissive EGF-related ligand required during gastrulation. Cell 92: 241–251. , , .