Primary culture model of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ activity in prostate cancer cells
Version of Record online: 3 APR 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Journal of Cellular Physiology
Volume 196, Issue 1, pages 131–143, July 2003
How to Cite
Xu, Y., Iyengar, S., Roberts, R. L., Shappell, S. B. and Peehl, D. M. (2003), Primary culture model of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ activity in prostate cancer cells. J. Cell. Physiol., 196: 131–143. doi: 10.1002/jcp.10281
- Issue online: 19 MAY 2003
- Version of Record online: 3 APR 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 DEC 2002
- Manuscript Received: 1 AUG 2002
- CaP CURE Award (to D.M.P.); Discovery Grant from the Vanderbilt Ingram Cancer Center (to S.B.S.)
- 1999. Neuroendocrine cells in tumour growth of the prostate. Endocr Relat Cancer 6: 503–519. .
- 2001. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma (PPARgamma) activation and its consequences in humans. Toxicol Lett 120: 9–19. .
- 1994. Multidirectional differentiation in the normal, hyperplastic, and neoplastic human prostate: Simultaneous demonstration of cell-specific epithelial markers. Hum Pathol 25: 42–46. , , .
- 1992. Analysis of prostatic tumor cultures using fluorescence in-situ hybridization (FISH). Cancer Genet Cytogenet 62: 180–185. , , , .
- 2000. Nonapoptotic cell death associated with S-phase arrest of prostate cancer cells via the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma ligand, 15-deoxy-delta12,14-prostaglandin J2. Cell Growth Differ 11: 49–61. , , , .
- 2001. Interleukin-6- and cyclic AMP-mediated signaling potentiates neuroendocrine differentiation of LNCaP prostate tumor cells. Mol Cell Biol 21: 8471–8482. , , , .
- 2000. Analysis of recent trends in prostate cancer incidence and mortality. Prostate 42: 247–252. , .
- 1995. A biomarker that identifies senescent human cells in culture and in aging skin in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 9363–9367. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Retinoids stimulate lipid synthesis and accumulation in LNCaP prostatic adenocarcinoma cells. Mol Cell Endocrinol 136: 37–46. , , , , , .
- 2000. Troglitazone and related compounds: Therapeutic potential beyond diabetes. Life Sci 67: 2405–2416. , .
- 1999. Activation of mitogen-activated protein kinase associated with prostate cancer progression. Cancer Res 59: 279–284. , , , , .
- 2002. APC-dependent suppression of colon carcinogenesis by PPARgamma. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99: 13771–13776. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1988. Histologic grade, clinical stage, and patient age in prostate cancer. NCI Monogr 7: 15–18. .
- 2002. A futile metabolic cycle activated in adipocytes by antidiabetic agents. Nat Med 8: 1122–1128. , , , , , .
- 2002. Retinol metabolism and lecithin: Retinol acyltransferase (LRAT) levels are reduced in cultured human prostate cancer cells and tissue specimens. Cancer Res 62: 1654–1661. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Activation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma suppresses nuclear factor kappa B-mediated apoptosis induced by Helicobacter pylori in gastric epithelial cells. J Biol Chem 276: 31059–31066. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ and transforming growth factor β pathways inhibit intestinal epithelial cell growth by regulating levels of TSC-22. J Biol Chem 278: 7431–7348. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. A human whole-blood assay for analysis of T-cell function by quantification of cytokine mRNA. Scand J Immunol 49: 649–654. , , , .
- 2002. The mode of action of thiazolidinediones. Diabetes Metab Res Rev 18 (Suppl 2):S10–S15. .
- 1998. Adipophilin is a specific marker of lipid accumulation in diverse cell types and diseases. Cell Tissue Res 294: 309–321. , , , , .
- 2000. Down-regulation of prostate-specific antigen expression by ligands for peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma in human prostate cancer. Cancer Res 60: 5494–5498. , , , , , .
- 2001. 15-lipoxygenase-1 metabolites down-regulate peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma via the MAPK signaling pathway. J Biol Chem 276: 34545–34552. , , , .
- 2001. Reduced 1alpha-hydroxylase activity in human prostate cancer cells correlates with decreased susceptibility to 25-hydroxyvitamin D3-induced growth inhibition. Cancer Res 61: 2852–2856. , , , .
- 2002. Expression of peroxisome proliferato activated receptor gamma (PPARγ) regulated genes in benign and malignant prostate tissue: Correlation with 15-lipoxygenase-2 (15-LOX-2) expression. Am Assoc Cancer Res San Francisco. CA. pp 392–393. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Reduced 15-lipoxygenase-2 immunostaining in prostate adenocarcinoma: Correlation with grade and expression in high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia. Hum Pathol 31: 1146–1154. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Transforming growth factor-beta-stimulated clone-22 is a member of a family of leucine zipper proteins that can homo- and heterodimerize and has transcriptional repressor activity. J Biol Chem 274: 27439–27447. , , , , .
- 1992. Enhancement of adipocyte differentiation by an insulin-sensitizing agent. Mol Pharmacol 41: 393–398. , , .
- 1999. Mesoderm induction in Xenopus is a zygotic event regulated by maternal VegT via TGFbeta growth factors. Development 126: 5759–5770. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Ligand for peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma (troglitazone) has potent antitumor effect against human prostate cancer both in vitro and in vivo. Cancer Res 58: 3344–3352. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Prostate cancer: A brief history and the discovery of hormonal ablation treatment. J Urol 165: 1859–1862. .
- 1998. Terminal differentiation of human breast cancer through PPAR gamma. Mol Cell 1: 465–470. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Effects of ligand activation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma in human prostate cancer. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 10990–10995. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. PPAR-gamma agonists: Therapeutic role in diabetes, inflammation, and cancer. Trends Pharmacol Sci 21: 469–474. , .
- 1998. Oxidized LDL regulates macrophage gene expression through ligand activation of PPARgamma. Cell 93: 229–240. , , , , .
- 1998. Down-regulation of TSC-22 (transforming growth factor beta-stimulated clone 22) markedly enhances the growth of a human salivary gland cancer cell line in vitro and in vivo. Cancer Res 58: 549–555. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Human prostatic epithelial cells. In: FreshneyRI, FreshneyMG, editors. Culture of epithelial cells. 2nd Edn. New York, NY: Wiley-Liss., Inc. pp 159–180. .
- 2000. Novel association of a diverse range of genes with renal cell carcinoma as identified by differential display. Int J Cancer 88: 726–732. , , , .
- 2001. PPARgamma: A nuclear regulator of metabolism, differentiation, and cell growth. J Biol Chem 276: 37731–37734. , .
- 1998. Differentiation and reversal of malignant changes in colon cancer through PPARgamma. Nat Med 4: 1046–1052. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. An abbreviated standard procedure for accurate tumor volume estimation in prostate cancer. Am J Surg Pathol 16: 184–191. , .
- 1999. 15-lipoxygenase-2 (15-LOX-2) is expressed in benign prostatic epithelium and reduced in prostate adenocarcinoma. Am J Pathol 155: 235–245. , , , , .
- 2001a. 15S-Hydroxyeicosatetraenoic acid activates peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma and inhibits proliferation in PC3 prostate carcinoma cells. Cancer Res 61: 497–503. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001b. Alterations in lipoxygenase and cyclooxygenase-2 catalytic activity and mRNA expression in prostate carcinoma. Neoplasia 3: 287–303. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Evidence that arachidonate 15-lipoxygenase 2 is a negative cell cycle regulator in normal prostate epithelial cells. J Biol Chem 277: 16189–16201. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Terminal differentiation of human liposarcoma cells induced by ligands for peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma and the retinoid X receptor. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94: 237–241. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Chemotherapy for prostate cancer. Urol Oncol 5: 93–96. , .
- 1999. Induced expression of adipophilin mRNA in human macrophages stimulated with oxidized low-density lipoprotein and in atherosclerotic lesions. FEBS Lett 462: 145–150. , , , , , , .