Role of HER receptors family in development and differentiation
Version of Record online: 23 JAN 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Journal of Cellular Physiology
Volume 200, Issue 3, pages 343–350, September 2004
How to Cite
Casalini, P., Iorio, M. V., Galmozzi, E. and Ménard, S. (2004), Role of HER receptors family in development and differentiation. J. Cell. Physiol., 200: 343–350. doi: 10.1002/jcp.20007
- Issue online: 1 JUL 2004
- Version of Record online: 23 JAN 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 NOV 2003
- Manuscript Received: 17 OCT 2003
- 1999. Biologic effects of heregulin/neu differentiation factor on normal and malignant human breast and ovarian epithelial cells. Oncogene 18: 6050–6062. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Cooperative signaling of ErbB3 and ErbB2 in neoplastic transformation and human mammary carcinomas. Oncogene 10: 1813–1821. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Neu differentiation factor (heregulin) activates a p53-dependent pathway in cancer cells. Oncogene 12: 2535–2547. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Akt forms an intracellular complex with heat shock protein 90 (Hsp90) and Cdc37 and is destabilized by inhibitors of Hsp90 function. J Biol Chem 277: 39858–39866. , , , , , .
- 1995. Neu differentiation factor activation of ErbB-3 and ErbB- 4 is cell specific and displays a differential requirement for ErbB-2. Mol Cell Biol 15: 6496–6505. , , , , , .
- 2001. Progress in clinical neurosciences: Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease and related inherited peripheral neuropathies. Can J Neurol Sci 28: 199–214. , .
- 1998. The ErbB2 and ErbB3 receptors and their ligand, neuregulin-1, are essential for development of the sympathetic nervous system. Genes Dev 12: 1825–1836. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Inhibition of proliferation and induction of apoptosis in breast cancer cells by the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) tyrosine kinase inhibitor ZD1839 (‘Iressa’) is independent of EGFR expression level. J Cell Physiol 198: 259–268. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Role of p53 in HER2-induced proliferation or apoptosis. J Biol Chem 276: 12449–12453. , , .
- 1997. Neu differentiation factor induces ErbB2 down-regulation and apoptosis of ErbB2-overexpressing breast tumor cells. Cancer Res 57: 3804–3811. , , , , , .
- 1990. EGF receptor and erbB-2 tyrosine kinase domains confer cell specificity for mitogenic signaling. Science 248: 79–83. , , , , .
- 1997. ErbB3 is required for normal cerebellar and cardiac development: A comparison with ErbB2-and heregulin-deficient mice. Development 124: 4999–5011. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Efficient coupling with phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase, but not phospholipase Cgamma or GTPase-activating protein, distinguishes ErbB-3 signaling from that of other ErbB/EGFR family members. Mol Cell Biol 14: 492–500. , , , .
- 1995. A mutation in the epidermal growth factor receptor in waved-2 mice has a profound effect on receptor biochemistry that results in impaired lactation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 1465–1469. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. HER2 signaling enhances 5′UTR-mediated translation of c-Myc mRNA. J Cell Physiol (in press). , , , , , .
- 2000. A dual role of erbB2 in myelination and in expansion of the Schwann cell precursor pool [in process citation]. J Cell Biol 148: 1035–1046. , , , , .
- 1995. Aberrant neural and cardiac development in mice lacking the ErbB4 neuregulin receptor. Nature 378: 390–394. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Increased expression of c-erbB-2 in hormone-dependent breast cancer cells inhibits cell growth and induces differentiation. Oncogene 17: 425–432. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Single-chain antibody-mediated intracellular retention of ErbB-2 impairs neu differentiation factor and epidermal growth factor signaling. Mol Cell Biol 15: 1182–1191. , , .
- 1997. ErbB-2, the preferred heterodimerization partner of all ErbB receptor, is a mediator of lateral signaling. EMBO J 16: 1647–1655. , , , .
- 1999. Constitutive expression of heregulin induces apoptosis in an erbB-2 overexpressing breast cancer cell line SKBr-3. Int J Oncol 15: 883–892. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Signaling molecules implicated in heregulin induction of growth arrest and apoptosis. Oncol Rep 8: 1203–1214. , , , .
- 1994. Insect cell-expressed p180erbB3 possesses an impaired tyrosine kinase activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91: 8132–8136. , , , ,
- 1999. Neuregulin-4: A novel growth factor that acts through the ErbB-4 receptor tyrosine kinase. Oncogene 18: 2681–2689. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Epidermal growth factor receptor induced apoptosis: Potentiation by inhibition of Ras signaling. FEBS Lett 491: 9–15. , , , , , .
- 2003. The ErbB2/ErbB3 heterodimer functions as an oncogenic unit: ErbB2 requires ErbB3 to drive breast tumor cell proliferation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 100: 8933–8938. , , , , .
- 1995. Binding of neu differentiation factor with the extracellular domain of Her2 and Her3. J Biol Chem 270: 24604–24608. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Dominant negative knockout of p53 abolishes ErbB2-dependent apoptosis and permits growth acceleration in human breast cancer cells. Br J Cancer 86: 1104–1109. , , , .
- 1989. Identification of a novel fatty acylated protein that partitions between the plasma membrane and cytosol and is deacylated in response to serum and growth factor stimulation. J Biol Chem 264: 20998–21006. , .
- 1999. Expression of dominant-negative ErbB2 in the mammary gland of transgenic mice reveals a role in lobuloalveolar development and lactation. Oncogene 18: 3481–3490. , .
- 1999. ErbB4 signaling in the mammary gland is required for lobuloalveolar development and stat5 activation during lactation. J Cell Biol 147: 77–88. , , , .
- 1996. ErbB-2 is a common auxiliary subunit of NDF and EGF receptors: Implications for breast cancer. EMBO J 15: 254–264. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Signal transduction by epidermal growth factor and heregulin via the kinase-deficient ErbB3 protein. Biochem J 334: 189–195. , , , , .
- 2003. The role of ErbB2 signaling in the onset of terminal differentiation of oligodendrocytes in vivo. J Neurosci 23: 5561–5571. , , , .
- 1996. Neuregulins with an Ig-like domain are essential for mouse myocardial and neuronal development. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93: 4833–4838. , , , , , .
- 1997. Antiapoptotic signalling by the insulin-like growth factor I receptor, phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase, and Akt. Mol Cell Biol 17: 1595–1606. , , .
- 2000. ErbB2 potentiates breast tumor proliferation through modulation of p27(Kip1)-Cdk2 complex formation: Receptor overexpression does not determine growth dependency. Mol Cell Biol 20: 3210–3223. , , , , , .
- 2002. The role of HER2/neu overexpression/amplification in the progression of ductal carcinoma in situ to invasive carcinoma of the breast. Mod Pathol 15: 1318–1325. , , , .
- 2001. Heregulin-induced apoptosis is mediated by down-regulation of Bcl-2 and activation of caspase-7 and is potentiated by impairment of protein kinase C alpha activity. Oncogene 20: 8258–8269. , , , , , ,
- 1995. Requirement for neuregulin receptor erbB2 in neural and cardiac development. Nature 378: 394–398. , , , , , .
- 2001. EGF receptor: Which way to go? FEBS Lett 491: 1–3. .
- 2003. Inhibition of erbB receptor family members protects HaCaT keratinocytes from ultraviolet-B-induced apoptosis. J Invest Dermatol 120: 483–488. , , , .
- 1997. Stata is mandatory for adult mammary gland development and lactogenesis. Genes Dev 11: 179–186. , , , , , .
- 2003. Impaired differentiation and lactational failure of Erbb4-deficient mammary glands identify ERBB4 as an obligate mediator of STAT5. Development 130: 5257–5268. , , , , , , .
- 1994. The mouse waved-2 phenotype results from a point mutation in the EGF receptor tyrosine kinase. Genes Dev 8: 399–413. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Gefitinib (Iressa, ZD 1839) for non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): Recent results and further strategies. Adv Exp Med Biol 532: 247–252. .
- 1993. Glial growth factors are alternatively spliced erbB2 ligands expressed in the nervous system. Nature 362: 312–318. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Membrane-anchored growth factors. Annu Rev Biochem 62: 515–541. , .
- 1997. Isoform-specific expression and function of neuregulin. Development 124: 3575–3586. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Epithelial immaturity and multiorgan failure in mice lacking epidermal growth factor receptor. Nature 376: 337–341. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Rescue of the cardiac defect in ErbB2 mutant mice reveals essential roles of ErbB2 in peripheral nervous system development. Neuron 23: 273–283. , , , , , .
- 1996. No additive impact on patient survival of the double alteration of p53 and c-erbB-2 in breast carcinomas. J Natl Cancer Inst 88: 1002–1003. , , , , , .
- 1999. Pathobiologic identification of two distinct breast carcinoma subsets with diverging clinical behaviors. Breast Cancer Res Treat 55: 169–177. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. HER2-positive breast carcinomas as a particular subset with peculiar clinical behaviors. Clin Cancer Res 8: 520–525. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Akt, MAPK (Erk1/2), and p38 act in concert to promote apoptosis in response to ErbB receptor family inhibition. J Biol Chem 276: 14842–14847. , .
- 2000. Effects of oncogenic ErbB2 on G1 cell cycle regulators in breast tumour cells. Oncogene 19: 1647–1656. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Distinct roles for phosphoinositide 3-kinase, mitogen-activated protein kinase and p38 MAPK in mediating cell cycle progression of breast cancer cells. Oncogene 21: 4567–4576. , , .
- 1998. Reconstitution of mammary gland development in vitro: Requirement of c-met and c-erbB2 signaling for branching and alveolar morphogenesis [in process citation]. J Cell Biol 143: 533–545. , , , , , , .
- 2000. The ErbB signaling network: Receptor heterodimerization in development and cancer. EMBO J 19: 3159–3167. , , , .
- 2001. An essential role for Src kinase in ErbB receptor signaling through the MAPK pathway. Exp Cell Res 267: 81–87. , , , .
- 2002. Conditional mutation of the ErbB2 (HER2) receptor in cardiomyocytes leads to dilated cardiomyopathy. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99: 8880–8885. , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Isolation of the neu/HER-2 stimulatory ligand: A 44 kd glycoprotein that induces differentiation of mammary tumor cells. Cell 69: 205–216. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Identification of c-erbB-3 binding sites for phosphatidylinositol 3′-kinase and SHC using an EGF receptor/c-erbB-3 chimera. EMBO J 13: 2831–2841. , .
- 2000. Estimation of tamoxifen's efficacy for preventing the formation and growth of breast tumors. J Natl Cancer Inst 92: 48–53. , .
- 1997. Severe neuropathies in mice with targeted mutations in the ErbB3 receptor. Nature 389: 725–730. , , , , , .
- 1998. Implication of a multisubunit Ets-related transcription factor in synaptic expression of the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor. EMBO J 17: 3078–3090. , , , .
- 1998. Dynamic expression and activation of ERBB receptors in the developing mouse mammary gland. Cell Growth Differ 9: 451–464. , .
- 1998. Activation and function of the epidermal growth factor receptor and erbB-2 during mammary gland morphogenesis. Cell Growth Differ 9: 777–785. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Signal transduction pathways induced by heregulin in MDA-MB-453 breast cancer cells. Oncogene 12: 1679–1687. , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Human breast cancer: Correlation of relapse and survival with amplification of the HER-2/neu oncogene. Science 235: 177–182. , , , , , .
- 2001. Use of chemotherapy plus a monoclonal antibody against HER2 for metastatic breast cancer that overexpresses HER2. N Engl J Med 344: 783–792. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Stat5a and Stat5b proteins have essential and nonessential, or redundant, roles in cytokine responses. Cell 93: 841–850. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Neural and mammary gland defects in ErbB4 knockout mice genetically rescued from embryonic lethality. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 100: 8281–8286. , , , , , .
- 1996. A hierarchinal network of interreceptor interactions determines signal transduction by neu differentiation factor/neuregulin and epidermal growth factor. Mol Cell Biol 16: 5276–5287. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Peripheral nervous system defects in erbB2 mutants following genetic rescue of heart development. Genes Dev 13: 2538–2548. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Cysteine-rich domain isoforms of the neuregulin-1 gene are required for maintenance of peripheral synapses. Neuron 25: 79–91. , , , , , .
- 1995. Sequential requirement of hepatocyte growth factor and neuregulin in the morphogenesis and differentiation of the mammary gland. J Cell Biol 131: 215–226. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The EGFR family and its ligands in human cancer. Signalling mechanisms and therapeutic opportunities. Eur J Cancer 37: S3–S8. .
- 2001. Untangling the ErbB signalling network. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 2: 127–137. , .
- 1997. Neuregulin-3 (NRG3): A novel neural tissue-enriched protein that binds and activates ErbB4. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94: 9562–9567. , , , , , , , , , .