Role of cell-cycle regulators in lung cancer

Authors

  • Mario Caputi,

    1. Department of Cardio-Thoracic Sciences, II University of Naples, Naples, Italy
    Search for more papers by this author
  • Giuseppe Russo,

    1. Center for Biotechnology, Sbarro Institute for Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine, College of Science and Technology, Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    2. Department of Human Pathology and Oncology, University of Siena, Siena, Italy
    Search for more papers by this author
  • Vincenzo Esposito,

    1. III Division A.O. D. Cotugno, Naples, Italy
    Search for more papers by this author
  • Alessandro Mancini,

    1. Department of Cardio-Thoracic Sciences, II University of Naples, Naples, Italy
    Search for more papers by this author
  • Antonio Giordano

    Corresponding author
    1. Center for Biotechnology, Sbarro Institute for Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine, College of Science and Technology, Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    2. Department of Human Pathology and Oncology, University of Siena, Siena, Italy
    • Sbarro Institute for Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine, Center for Biotechnology, College of Science and Technology, Temple University, 1900 N. 12th Street, Room 333, Philadelphia, PA 19122.
    Search for more papers by this author

Abstract

Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death worldwide. Histologically, 80% of lung cancers are classified as non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC), and the remaining 20% as small-cell lung cancer (SCLC). Lung carcinoma is the result of molecular changes in the cell, resulting in the deregulation of pathways controlling normal cellular growth, differentiation, and apoptosis. This review summarizes some of the most recent findings about the role of cell-cycle proteins in lung cancer pathogenesis and progression. © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.

Ancillary