Neurobiology of pain
Article first published online: 1 JUN 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Journal of Cellular Physiology
Volume 209, Issue 1, pages 8–12, October 2006
How to Cite
Pace, M.C., Mazzariello, L., Passavanti, M.B., Sansone, P., Barbarisi, M. and Aurilio, C. (2006), Neurobiology of pain. J. Cell. Physiol., 209: 8–12. doi: 10.1002/jcp.20693
- Issue published online: 26 JUL 2006
- Article first published online: 1 JUN 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 APR 2006
- Manuscript Received: 8 MAR 2006
- 2003. Antinociceptive effect in mice of intraperitoneal N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor antagonists in the formalin test. Eur J Pain 7(2): 131–137. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Signalling pathways involved in the sensitisation of mouse nociceptive neurones by nerve growth factor. J Physiol (Lond) 551: 433–446. , .
- 2000. Potent analgesic effects of GDNF in neuropatic pain states. Science 290: 24–127. , , , , , .
- 2000. Possible role of inflammatory mediators in tactile hypersensitivity in rat models of mononeuropathy. Pain 88: 239–248. , , , , .
- 1988. Fos and Jun: The AP-1 connection. Cell 55(3): 395–397. ,
- 2003. The role of interleukin-6 in nociception and pain. Anesth Analg 96: 1096–1103. , , , , , .
- 1989. Temporal analysis of increases in c-fos, preprodynorphin and preproenkephalin mRNAs in rat spinal cord. Brain Res Mol Brain Res 6(1): 31–37. , .
- 2004. The neurobiology of persistent pain and its clinical implications. Suppl Clin Neurophysiol 57: 3–7. .
- 2000. The role of neighboring intact DRG neurons in a rat neuropathic pain model. In: Proceedings of the 9th World Congress on Pain, Progress in Pain Research and Management, Vol. 16. Seattle: IASP Press. pp 137–146. , , , .
- 1987. Differential regulation of mRNA encoding nerve growth factor and its receptor in rat sciatic nerve during development, degeneration, and regeneration: Role of macrophages. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 84: 8735–8739. , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Induction of c-fos-like protein in spinal cord neurons following sensory stimulation. Nature 328(6131): 632–634. , , .
- 1997. Phosphorylation of transcription factor CREB in rat spinal cord after formalin-induced hyperalgesia: Relationship to c-fos induction. J Neurosci 17(5): 1776–1785. , .
- 1986. The long and the short of long-term memory—a molecular framework. Nature 322(6078): 419–422. , , , .
- 2000. Depletion of macrophages reduces axonal degeneration and hyperalgesia following nerve injury. Pain 86: 25–32. , , .
- 2005. In: McMahonSB, KoltzenburgM, editors. Textbook of Pain. Chapter 3 London: Elsevier in the press. , , .
- 2000. Axotomized and intact muscle afferents but no skin afferents develop ongoing discharges of dorsal root ganglion origin after peripheral nerve lesion. J Neurosci 20: 2742–2748. , , .
- 1996. Reduced hyperalgesia in nerve-injured WLD mice: Relationship to nerve fiber phagocytosis, axonal degeneration, and regeneration in normal mice. Exp Neurol 141: 94–101. , , .
- 2004. The amygdala and pesistent pain. The Neuroscientist 10(3): 221–234. , , , .
- 2001. Peripheral nitric oxide in carrageenan induced inflammation. Brain Res 912: 171–175. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Hyperalgesia due to nerve injury: Role of neutrophils. Neuroscience 101: 745–757. , .
- 1999. A comparison of the potential role of the tetrodotoxin-insensitive sodium channels, PN3/SNS and NaN/SNS2, in rat models of chronic pain. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96(14): 7640–7644 . Review. Erratum in: Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1999 Aug 31;96(18):10548. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Inhibition of microglial activation attenuates the development but not existing hypersensitivity in a rat model of neuropathy. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 306: 624–630. , , .
- 2002. Limited role of macrophages in generation of nerve injury-induced mechanical allodynia. Physiol Behav 71: 225–235. , , , , .
- 1999. Redox mechanisms at the glutamate synapse and their significance: A review. Eur J Pharmacol 370(1): 1–7. .
- 1998. Painful mononeuropathy in C57BL/Wld mice with delayed Wallerian degeneration: Differential effects of cytokine production and nerve regeneration on thermal and mechanical hypersensitivity. Brain Res 784: 154–162. , .
- 2002. Focal peripheral nerve injury induces leukocyte trafficking into the central nervous system: Potential relationship to neuropathic pain. Pain 100: 163–170. , , , , .
- 2005. The CNS role of Toll-like receptor 4 in innate neuroimmunity and painful neuropathy. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 102: 5856–5861. , , .
- 2001. Nitric oxide in primary headaches. Curr Opin Neurol 14: 315–321. , .
- 2004. Evidence that GABAergic neurons in the spinal trigeminal nucleus are involved in the transmission of inflammatory pain in the rat: A microdialysis and pharmacological study. Eur J Pharmacol 496: 87–92. , , , , , .
- 2005. Trigeminal pain transmission requires reactive oxygen species production. Brain Res 1050: 72–78. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Sodium channels and pain. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96: 7635–7639. , , , .
- 2005. ERK is sequentially activated in neurons, microglia, and astrocytes by spinal nerve ligation and contributes to mechanical allodynia in this neuropathic pain model. Pain 114: 149–159. , , , .
- 2003. Inflammation and hyperalgesia induced by nerve injury in the rat: A key role of mast cells. Pain 105: 467–479. , , , .