Chromosome condensation outside of mitosis: Mechanisms and new tools
Version of Record online: 29 JUN 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Journal of Cellular Physiology
Volume 209, Issue 2, pages 297–304, November 2006
How to Cite
Gotoh, E. and Durante, M. (2006), Chromosome condensation outside of mitosis: Mechanisms and new tools. J. Cell. Physiol., 209: 297–304. doi: 10.1002/jcp.20720
- Issue online: 29 AUG 2006
- Version of Record online: 29 JUN 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 JUN 2006
- Manuscript Received: 27 APR 2006
- 2003. Dose response relationships for acute ionizing-radiation lethality. Health Phys 84: 565–575. , , , .
- 1997. A method for detecting sister chromatid exchanges using prematurely condensed chromosomes and immunogold-silver staining. Mutagenesis 12: 175–177. , .
- 1989. Breakage of human interphase chromosomes by alpha particles and X-rays. Int J Radiat Biol 55: 211–216. , .
- 2003. Premature chromosome condensation revisited: A novel chemical approach permits efficient cytogenetic analysis of cancers. Genes Chromosomes Cancer 38: 177–186. , , , , , , .
- 1988. Inhibitory effect of a marine-sponge toxin, okadaic acid, on protein phosphatases. Specificity and kinetics. Biochem J 256: 283–290. , .
- 2005. Early-response biological dosimetry-recommended countermeasure enhancements for mass-casualty radiological incidents and terrorism. Health Phys 89: 494–504. , , .
- 1997. Detection of radiation-induced chromosome aberrations using fluorescence in situ hybridization in drug-induced premature chromosome condensations of tumour cell lines with different radiosensitivities. Int J Radiat Biol 71: 265–273. , .
- 1990. Okadaic acid: A new probe for the study of cellular regulation. Trends Biochem Sci 15: 98–102. , , .
- 1983a. X-ray-induced breakage and rejoining of human interphase chromosomes. Science 222: 1141–1143. , .
- 1983b. High-resolution measurement of breaks in prematurely condensed chromosomes by differential staining. Chromosoma 88: 315–318. , .
- 1993. Ionizing radiation damage and its early development in chromosomes. Adv Radiat Biol 17: 423–497. , .
- 2003. Lymph nodes in the irradiated field influence the yield of radiation-induced chromosomal aberrations in lymphocytes from breast cancer patients. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 57: 732–738. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. The cyclin-dependent protein kinases and the control of cell division. FASEB J 8: 1114–1121. , .
- 1990. Fission yeast cdc25 is a cell-cycle regulated protein. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 167: 301–309. , , , .
- 1991. The cdc25 protein contains an intrinsic phosphatase activity. Cell 67: 189–196. , .
- 1988. The Xenopus cdc2 protein is a component of MPF, a cytoplasmic regulator of mitosis. Cell 54: 423–431. , , , .
- 1996a. Rejoining and misrejoining of radiation-induced chromatin breaks. I. experiments with human lymphocytes. Radiat Res 145: 274–280. , , , .
- 1996b. Biological dosimetry by interphase chromosome painting. Radiat Res 145: 53–60. , , .
- 1997. Biodosimetry of ionizing radiation by selective painting of prematurely condensed chromosomes in human lymphocytes. Radiat Res 148: S45–S50. , , .
- 1998a. A simple method for simultaneous interphase-metaphase chromosome analysis in biodosimetry. Int J Radiat Biol 74: 457–462. , , .
- 1998b. Rejoining and misrejoining of radiation-induced chromatin breaks. IV. Charged particles. Radiat Res 149: 446–454. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998c. Rejoining and misrejoining of radiation-induced chromatin breaks. III. Hypertonic treatment. Radiat Res 149: 68–74. , , , .
- 1999. Association between G2-phase block and repair of radiation-induced chromosome fragments in human lymphocytes. Radiat Res 151: 670–676. , , , , .
- 2000. X-rays vs. carbon-ion tumor therapy: Cytogenetic damage in lymphocytes. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 47: 793–798. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Premature condensation induces breaks at the interface of early and late replicating chromosome bands bearing common fragile sites. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 102: 18069–18074. , , , , .
- 1988. Purified maturation-promoting factor contains the product of a Xenopus homolog of the fission yeast cell cycle control gene cdc2+. Cell 54: 433–439. , , , , .
- 1991. cdc25 is a specific tyrosine phosphatase that directly activates p34cdc2. Cell 67: 197–211. , , , , .
- 1992. Failure of kinetochore development and mitotic spindle formation in okadaic acid-induced premature mitosis in HeLa cells. Exp Cell Res 201: 535–540. , , .
- 1996. Detection and evaluation of chromosomal aberrations induced by high doses of gamma-irradiation using immunogold-silver painting of prematurely condensed chromosomes. Int J Radiat Biol 70: 517–520. , .
- 1996. Agents and a method of chromosome preparation using protein phosphatase inhibitors induced premature chromosome condensation (PCC) technique. England, France, Italy, Germany, Netherland, Sweden Patent EP0696730. , , Assignee.
- 1998. Agents and a method of chromosome preparation using protein phosphatase inhibitors induced premature chromosome condensation (PCC) technique. The United States of America Patent 5,789,164. , , Assignee.
- 2005. Simple biodosimetry method for cases of high-dose radiation exposure using the ratio of the longest/shortest length of Giemsa-stained drug-induced prematurely condensed chromosomes (PCC). Int J Radiat Biol 81: 379–385. , .
- 1995. Inhibition of protein serine/threonine phophatases directly induces premature chromosome condensation in mammalian somatic cells. Biomed Res 16: 63–68. , , .
- 1999. Chromatid break rejoining and exchange aberration formation following gamma-ray exposure: Analysis in G2 human fibroblasts by chemically induced premature chromosome condensation. Int J Radiat Biol 75: 1129–1135. , , .
- 2005. Simple biodosimetry method for use in cases of high-dose radiation exposure that scores the chromosome number of Giemsa-stained drug-induced prematurely condensed chromosomes (PCC). Int J Radiat Biol 81: 33–40. , , .
- 1990. Complementation of the mitotic activator, p80cdc25, by a human protein-tyrosine phosphatase. Science 250: 1573–1576. , , , .
- 1995. Chromosome condensation induced by fostriecin does not require p34cdc2 kinase activity and histone H1 hyperphosphorylation, but is associated with enhanced histone H2A and H3 phosphorylation. Embo J 14: 976–985. , , , , , , .
- 1980. Initiation of DNA synthesis in the prematurely condensed chromosomes of G1 cells. J Cell Biol 87: 285–291. , .
- 1983. Cell cycle-specific changes in the ultrastructural organization of prematurely condensed chromosomes. Chromosoma 88: 333–342. , , , , .
- 1982. Induction and repair of DNA and chromosome damage by neocarzinostatin in quiescent normal human fibroblasts. Cancer Res 42: 4584–4590. , .
- 1974. Bleomycin-induced damage in prematurely condensed chromosomes and its relationship to cell cycle progression in CHO cells. Cancer Res 34: 3433–3439. , .
- 1975. The nature of adriamycin-induced cytotoxicity in Chinese hamster cells as revealed by premature chromosome condensation. Cancer Res 35: 30–35. , .
- 1978. Mapping G1 phase by the structural morphology of the prematurely condensed chromosomes. J Cell Physiol 95: 333–341. , .
- IAEA. 2001. Cytogenetic analysis for radiation dose assessment. A manual. Vienna: International Atomic Energy Agency.
- 1987. 125IdUrd-induced chromosome fragments, assayed by premature chromosome condensation, and DNA double-strand breaks have similar repair kinetics in G1-phase CHO-cells. Int J Radiat Biol Relat Stud Phys Chem Med 52: 705–722. , , , .
- 1994. Inhibition of DNA topoisomerase II by ICRF-193 induces polyploidization by uncoupling chromosome dynamics from other cell cycle events. J Cell Biol 126: 1341–1351. , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Calyculin A and okadaic acid: Inhibitors of protein phosphatase activity. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 159: 871–877. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Epstein-Barr virus nuclear antigen-1 is highly colocalized with interphase chromatin and its newly replicated regions in particular. J Gen Virol 83: 2377–2383. , , , .
- 1992. Periodic changes in phosphorylation of the Xenopus cdc25 phosphatase regulate its activity. Mol Biol Cell 3: 927–939. , , .
- 1970. Mammalian cell fusion: Induction of premature chromosome condensation in interphase nuclei. Nature 226: 717–722. , .
- 1999. Targeting double-strand breaks to replicating DNA identifies a subpathway of DSB repair that is defective in ataxia-telangiectasia cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 261: 317–325. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Easy biodosimetry for high-dose radiation exposures using drug-induced, prematurely condensed chromosomes. Int J Radiat Biol 75: 441–446. , , .
- 2002. Dynamic analysis of chromosome aberrations in three victims of the Tokai-mura criticality accident. Int J Radiat Biol 78: 857–862. , , .
- 1967. Chromosome pulverization in human binucleate cells following colcemid treatment. J Cell Biol 34: 35–46. , .
- 2000. High-LET radiation-induced aberrations in prematurely condensed G2 chromosomes of human fibroblasts. Int J Radiat Biol 76: 929–937. , , , , , , .
- 2004. G2 chromatid damage and repair kinetics in normal human fibroblast cells exposed to low- or high-LET radiation. Cytogenet Genome Res 104: 211–215. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Negative regulation of mitosis by the fission yeast protein phosphatase ppa2. Genes Dev 7: 1059–1071. , , , , .
- 2003. The influence of calyculin A on lymphocytes in vitro. J Appl Genet 44: 413–418. , , , .
- 1991. Cell cycle-dependent behavior of microtubules in hybrids of mouse oocytes and blastomeres. Int J Dev Biol 35: 421–427. .
- 1991. The cdc25 protein controls tyrosine dephosphorylation of the cdc2 protein in a cell-free system. Cell 64: 903–914. , .
- 1992. Regulation of the cdc25 protein during the cell cycle in Xenopus extracts. Cell 70: 139–151. , .
- 1980. Studies of mammalian chromosome replication. I. BrdU-induced differential staining patterns in interphase and metaphase chromosomes. Cytogenet Cell Genet 27: 176–183. , .
- 1981. Studies of mammalian chromosome replication. II. Evidence for the existence of defined chromosome replicating units. Chromosoma 83: 721–741. , .
- 1997. Chromosomal analysis to assess radiation dose. Stem Cells 15 (Suppl 2): 195–201. .
- 2004. SCE analysis in G2 lymphocyte prematurely condensed chromosomes after exposure to atrazine: The non-dose-dependent increase in homologous recombinational events does not support its genotoxic mode of action. Cytogenet Genome Res 104: 315–319. , , .
- 1989. Maturation-promoting factor and the regulation of the cell cycle. J Cell Sci Suppl 12: 53–63. , , , , , , .
- 1974. A cytostatic factor in amphibian oocytes: Its extraction and partial characterization. J Exp Zool 187: 141–147. .
- 1982. Oscillatory activity of maturation promoting factor (MPF) in extracts of Rana pipiens eggs. J Exp Zool 224: 389–399. .
- 2001. From oocyte maturation to the in vitro cell cycle: The history of discoveries of Maturation-Promoting Factor (MPF) and Cytostatic Factor (CSF). Differentiation 69: 1–17. .
- 2005. Differential regulation of Cdc2 and Aurora-A in Xenopus oocytes: A crucial role of phosphatase 2A. J Cell Sci 118: 2485–2494. , , , , .
- 1985. Induction of early mitotic events in a cell-free system. Cell 41: 165–175. , .
- 2002. Reconstruction of two victims' posturing based on the induced radioactivities in their bones in the criticality accident in Tokai-Mura, Japan. Health Phys 83: 19–25. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Telomere size and telomerase activity in Epstein-Barr virus (EBV)-positive and EBV-negative Burkitt's lymphoma cell lines. Arch Virol 150: 2139–2150. , , , , , , .
- 1989. Regulation of p34cdc2 protein kinase during mitosis. Cell 58: 361–372. , , .
- 1990. Regulation of mitosis by cyclic accumulation of p80cdc25 mitotic inducer in fission yeast. Nature 344: 549–552. , , .
- 1983. Units of chromosome replication and packing. J Cell Sci 64: 179–193. , .
- 1993. Ionizing radiation induces two forms of interphase chromosome breaks in Chinese hamster ovary cells that rejoin with different kinetics and show different sensitivity to treatment in hypertonic medium or beta-araA. Radiat Res 136: 262–270. , .
- 1986. Radiation-induced cytogenetic damage in relation to changes in interphase chromosome conformation. Radiat Res 105: 341–350. .
- 1983. A simple method for premature chromosome condensation induction in primary human and rodent cells using polyethylene glycol. Somatic Cell Genet 9: 533–547. , .
- 1984. The use of peripheral blood mononuclear cell prematurely condensed chromosomes for biological dosimetry. Radiat Res 99: 140–150. , .
- 2005. Premature chromosome condensation in human resting peripheral blood lymphocytes for chromosome aberration analysis using specific whole-chromosome DNA hybridization probes. Methods Mol Biol 291: 49–57. , .
- 2000. Induction of premature chromosome condensation by a phosphatase inhibitor and a protein kinase in unstimulated human peripheral blood lymphocytes: A simple and rapid technique to study chromosome aberrations using specific whole-chromosome DNA hybridization probes for biological dosimetry. Mutat Res 466: 131–141. , , .
- 1980. Chromatin structure during the prereplicative phases in the life cycle of mammalian cells. Cell Biophys 2: 327–337. , .
- 1977. Premature chromosome condensation and cell cycle analysis. J Cell Physiol 91: 131–141. , , .
- 1992. Kinetochore formation and behaviour following premature chromosome condensation. J Cell Sci 103(Pt 4): 1039–1045. , .
- 1986. Caffeine-induced uncoupling of mitosis from the completion of DNA replication in mammalian cells. Science 232: 1264–1266. , .
- 1990. Premature mitosis induced in mammalian cells by the protein kinase inhibitors 2-aminopurine and 6-dimethylaminopurine. Cell Growth Differ 1: 171–178. , , .
- 1975. Changes in the organization of chromosomes during the cell cycle: Response to ultraviolet light. J Cell Sci 17: 539–565. , , .
- 1986. Mitomycin-induced chromatid breaks in HeLa cells: A consequence of incomplete DNA replication. Cancer Res 46: 4032–4040. , .
- 2006. The association of DNA-dependent protein kinase activity with chromosomal instability and risk of cancer. Carcinogenesis 27: 117–122. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. The usefulness of calyculin a for cytogenetic prenatal diagnosis. J Histochem Cytochem 53: 391–394. , , , , .
- 1991. Dephosphorylation and activation of a p34cdc2/cyclin B complex in vitro by human CDC25 protein. Nature 351: 242–245. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Heavy ion-induced chromosome breakage studied by premature chromosome condensation (PCC) in Syrian hamster embryo cells. Int J Radiat Biol 62: 581–586. , , , , .
- 2003. A new cytogenetic approach for the evaluation of mutagenic potential of chemicals that induce cell cycle arrest in the G2 phase. Mutagenesis 18: 539–543. , , , , , .
- 1998. Histone H3 phosphorylation is required for the initiation, but not maintenance, of mammalian chromosome condensation. J Cell Sci 111(Pt 23): 3497–3506. , , , , .
- 2003. Depletion of Drad21/Scc1 in Drosophila cells leads to instability of the cohesin complex and disruption of mitotic progression. Curr Biol 13: 208–218. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Radiation-induced chromosome damage in G1 phase cells as breaks in premature chromosome condensation (PCC) and its biological meaning. J Radiat Res (Tokyo) 33 (Suppl): 87–94. , , , , .
- 1990. Okadaic acid, a potent inhibitor of type 1 and type 2A protein phosphatases, activates cdc2/H1 kinase and transiently induces a premature mitosis-like state in BHK21 cells. EMBO J 9: 4331–4338. , , , , , , , , .