Osteoactivin acts as downstream mediator of BMP-2 effects on osteoblast function
Article first published online: 10 OCT 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Journal of Cellular Physiology
Volume 210, Issue 1, pages 26–37, January 2007
How to Cite
Abdelmagid, S. M., Barbe, M. F., Arango-Hisijara, I., Owen, T. A., Popoff, S. N. and Safadi, F. F. (2007), Osteoactivin acts as downstream mediator of BMP-2 effects on osteoblast function. J. Cell. Physiol., 210: 26–37. doi: 10.1002/jcp.20841
- Issue published online: 26 OCT 2006
- Article first published online: 10 OCT 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 JUN 2006
- Manuscript Received: 23 MAR 2006
- National Institute of Arthritis, Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. Grant Number: AR048892 to F. F. S.
- 2006. TGF-β acts a downstream mediator of extracellular matrix production in osteoblasts. J Cell Physiol (in press). , , , .
- 1990. Factors that promote progressive of the osteoblast phenotype in cultured fetal rat calvaria cells. J Cell Physiol 143: 213–221. , , , , , .
- 2002. Extracellular regulation of BMP signaling in vertebrates: a cocktail of Modulators. Dev Biol 250: 231–250. , .
- 2003. Hematopoietic growth factor inducible neurokinin-1 type: a transmembrane protein that is similar to neurokinin 1 interacts with substance P. Regul Pept 111: 169–178. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Pmel17 initiates premelanosome morphogenesis within multivesicular bodies. Mol Biol Cell 11: 3451–3464. , , , , .
- 2001. The orphan nuclear estrogen receptor-related receptor alpha (ERRalpha) is expressed throughout osteoblast differentiation and regulates bone formation in vitro. J Cell Biol 153: 971–984. , , , .
- 1999. In Xenopus embryos, BMP heterodimers are not required for Mesoderm induction, but BMP activity is necessary for dorsal/ventral patterning. Dev Biol 216: 29–40. , .
- 2005. The bone-specific expression of Runx2 oscillates during the cell cycle to support a G1-related antiproliferative function in osteoblasts. J Biol Chem 280: 20274–20285. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Runx2/Cbfa1 stimulates transdifferentiation of primary skeletal myoblasts into a mineralizing osteoblastic phenotype. Exp Cell Res 300: 406–417. , , , .
- 2005. The effects of BIG-3 on osteoblast differentiation are not dependent upon endogenously produced BMPs. Exp Cell Res 304: 287–292. , .
- 2002. Structural basis of BMP signalling inhibition by the cystine knot protein Noggin. Nature 420: 636–642. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Smad6 inhibits BMP/Smad1 signaling by specifically competing with the Smad4 tumor suppressor. Genes Dev 12: 186–197. , , , .
- 1999. Effects of bone morphogenetic protein-2 on human neonatal calvaria cell differentiation. J Cell Biochem 72: 81–93. , , , , .
- 1997. Smad6 inhibits signaling by the TGF-β superfamily. Nature 389: 622–626. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Reaching a genetic and molecular understanding of skeletal development. Dev Cell 2: 389–406. , .
- 1994. Bone morphogenetic protein-2 converts the differentiation pathway of C2C12 myoblasts into the osteoblast lineage. J Cell Biol 127: 1755–1766. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Smad7 binds to Smurf2 to form an E3 ubiquitin ligase that targets the TGF beta receptor for degradation. Mol Cell 6: 1365–1375. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Mouse smad8 phosphorylation downstream of BMP receptors ALK-2, ALK-3, and ALK-6 induces its association with Smad4 and transcriptional activity. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 271: 682–687. , , , , , , .
- 1994. The TGF-beta superfamily: new members, new receptors, and new genetic tests of function in differentorganisms. Genes Dev 8: 133–146. .
- 1997. The TGF-beta family mediator Smad1 is phosphorylated directly and activated functionally by the BMP receptor kinase. Genes Dev 11: 984–995. , , , , .
- 2001. Targeted mutagenesis of Smad1 reveals an essential role in chorioallantoic fusion. Dev Biol 240: 157–167. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Molecules mimicking Smad1 interacting with Hox stimulate bone formation. J Biol Chem 279: 11313–11319. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Identifying potential tumor markers and antigens by database mining and rapid expression screening. Genome Res 10: 1393–1402. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Direct binding of Smad1 and Smad4 to two distinct motifs mediates bone morphogenetic protein-specific transcriptional activation of Id1 gene. J Biol Chem 277: 3176–3185. , , , , .
- 2005. Cloning and characterization of the 5′ flanking region of the HGFIN gene indicate a cooperative role among p53 and cytokine-mediated transcription factors: relevance to cell cycle regulation. Cell Cycle 2: 315–322. , , , , .
- 2000. TGF-β signaling by Smad proteins. Adv Immunol 75: 115–157. , , .
- 1997. Identification of Smad7, a TGFbeta-inducible antagonist of TGF-beta signaling. Nature 389: 631–635. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. The novel zinc finger-containing transcription factor osterix is required for osteoblast differentiation and bone formation. Cell 108: 17–29. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Osteoactivin expressed during cirrhosis development in rats fed a choline-deficient, l-amino acid-defined diet, accelerates motility of hepatoma cells. J Hepatol 39: 779–785. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Integrated actions of transforming growth factor-beta1 and connective tissue growth factor in renal fibrosis. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 288: F800–F809. , , , , , , .
- 2003. BMP-2 controls alkaline phosphatase expression and osteoblast mineralization by a Wnt autocrine loop. J Bone Miner Res 10: 1842–1853. , , , , .
- 1994. Bone and cartilage differentiation. Curr Opin Genet Dev 4: 737–744. .
- 2003. Bone-related genes expressed in advanced malignancies induce invasion and metastasis in a genetically defined human cancer model. J Biol Chem 278: 15951–15957. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Cloning and characterisation of osteoactivin, a novel cDNA expressed in osteoblasts. J Cell Biochem 84: 12–26. , , , , , .
- 2003. Expression of connective tissue growth factor in bone: its role in osteoblast proliferation and differentiation in vitro and bone formation in vivo. J Cell Physiol 196: 51–62. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Anti- osteoactivin antibody inhibits osteoblast differentiation and function in vitro. Crit Rev Eukaryot Gene Expr 13: 265–275. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Molecular cloning of dendritic cell- associated transmembrane protein, DC-HIL, that promotes RGD-dependent adhesion of endothelial cells through recognition of heparan sulphate proteoglycans. J Biol Chem 276: 8125–8134. , , , .
- 1998. Physical and functional interaction of murine and Xenopus Smad7 with bone morphogenetic protein receptors and transforming growth factor-beta receptors. J Biol Chem 273: 25364–25370. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs): how do they function and what can they offer the clinician?. J Oral Sci 45: 57–73. , .
- 2001. Mouse embryos lacking Smad1 signals display defects in extra-embryonic tissues and germ cell formation. Development 128: 3609–3621. , , .
- 1965. Bone: Formation by autoinduction. Science 150: 893–899. .
- 1993. Bone morphogenetic protein-2 causes commitment and differentiation in C3Hl0T1/2 and 3T3 cells. Growth Factors 9: 57–71. , , , .
- 1995. Nmb, a novel gene, is expressed in low-metastatic human melanoma cell lines and xenografts. Int J Cancer 60: 73–81. , , , , , .
- 1998. The bone morphogenetic protein family: Multifunctional cellular regulators in the embryo and adult. Eur J Oral Sci 106: 160–166. .
- 2000. Smad1 domains interacting with Hoxc-8 induce osteoblast Differentiation. J Biol Chem 275: 1065–1072. , , , .
- 1996b. Mice deficient for BMP2 are non-viable and have defects in amnion/chorion and cardiac development. Development 122: 2977–2986. , .
- 2001. Regulation of Smad degradation and activity by Smurf2, an E3 ubiquitin ligase. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98: 974–979. , , , , .
- 1993. Differential effects of transforming growth factor-beta 1 and bone morphogenetic protein 4 on gene expression and differentiated function of preosteoblasts. J Cell Physiol 155: 112–119. , , , , .
- 1999. A SMAD ubiquitin ligase targets the BMP pathway and affects embryonic pattern formation. Nature 400: 687–693. , , , , .