Molecular determinants of FGF-21 activity—synergy and cross-talk with PPARγ signaling
Article first published online: 24 OCT 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Journal of Cellular Physiology
Volume 210, Issue 1, pages 1–6, January 2007
How to Cite
Moyers, J. S., Shiyanova, T. L., Mehrbod, F., Dunbar, J. D., Noblitt, T. W., Otto, K. A., Reifel-Miller, A. and Kharitonenkov, A. (2007), Molecular determinants of FGF-21 activity—synergy and cross-talk with PPARγ signaling. J. Cell. Physiol., 210: 1–6. doi: 10.1002/jcp.20847
- Issue published online: 26 OCT 2006
- Article first published online: 24 OCT 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 JUL 2006
- Manuscript Received: 12 MAY 2006
- 2005. Fibroblast growth factor signaling during early vertebrate development. Endocr Rev 26: 63–77. , .
- 2001. Phosphatidylinositol-3 kinase acts in parallel to the ERK MAP kinase in the FGF pathway during Xenopus mesoderm induction. Development 128: 35–44. , , .
- 2005. Mechanisms underlying differential responses to FGF signaling. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 16: 233–247. , , , .
- 2002. Phosphorylation of STAT-3 in response to basic fibroblast growth factor occurs through a mechanism involving platelet-activating factor, JAK-2, and Src in human umbilical vein endothelial cells. Evidence for a dual kinase mechanism. J Biol Chem 277: 21237–21245. , , , , , .
- 2005. Cellular signaling by fibroblast growth factor receptors. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 16: 139–149. , , .
- 2002. Interferon-gamma-mediated activation and ubiquitin-proteasome-dependent degradation of PPARgamma in adipocytes. J Biol Chem 277: 4062–4068. , .
- 2004. Control of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma2 stability and activity by SUMOylation. Obes Res 12: 921–928. , .
- 2005. Fibroblast growth factor signaling in tumorigenesis. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 16: 179–186. , .
- 2000. Degradation of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma is linked to ligand-dependent activation. J Biol Chem 275: 18527–18533. , , , , , .
- 2003. Effects of rosiglitazone and linoleic acid on human preadipocyte differentiation. Eur J Clin Invest 33: 574–581. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Fibroblast growth factor 1: A key regulator of human adipogenesis. Diabetes 53: 3097–3106. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Discovery of allosteric potentiators for the metabotropic glutamate 2 receptor: Synthesis and subtype selectivity of N-(4-(2-methoxyphenoxy)phenyl)-N-(2,2,2-trifluoroethylsulfonyl)pyrid-3-ylmethylamine. J Med Chem 46: 3189–3192. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. FGF-21 as a novel metabolic regulator. J Clin Invest 115: 1627–1635. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Role of SHP-2 in fibroblast growth factor receptor-mediated suppression of myogenesis in C2C12 myoblasts. Mol Cell Biol 22: 3875–3891. , , , .
- 1995. An antidiabetic thiazolidinedione is a high affinity ligand for peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor (PPAR). J Biol Chem 270: 12953–12956. , , , , , .
- 1997. Basic FGF enhances calcium permeable channel openings in adult rat cardiac myocytes: Implication in the bFGF-induced increase of free Ca2+ content. J Mol Cell Cardiol 29: 2687–2698. , , , .
- 2002. NCS-1 inhibits insulin-stimulated GLUT4 translocation in 3T3L1 adipocytes through a phosphatidylinositol 4-kinase-dependent pathway. J Biol Chem 277: 27494–27500. , , , , , .
- 2004. Basic fibroblast growth factor enhances PPARγ ligand-induced adipogenesis of mesenchymal stem cells. FEBS Lett 577: 277–283. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Identification of a novel FGF, FGF-21, preferentially expressed in the liver. Biochim Biophys Acta 1492: 203–206. , , , .
- 2001. Potentiation of glucose uptake in 3T3-L1 adipocytes by PPAR gamma agonists is maintained in cells expressing a PPAR gamma dominant-negative mutant: Evidence for selectivity in the downstream responses to PPAR gamma activation. Mol Endocrinol 15: 1729–1738. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Essential role of fibroblast growth factor signaling in preadipoctye differentiation. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90: 1226–1232. , , .
- 1986. Fibroblast growth factor treatment of Swiss 3T3 cells activates a subunit S6 kinase that phosphorylates a synthetic peptide substrate. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 83: 5968–5972. , , .
- 2005. Fibroblast growth factor/fibroblast growth factor receptor system in angiogenesis. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 16: 159–178. , , , , , .
- 2002. Activation of MEK/ERK signaling promotes adipogenesis by enhancing peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma (PPARγ) and C/EBPα gene expression during the differentiation of 3T3-L1 preadipocytes. J Biol Chem 277: 46226–46232. , , , .
- 1999. PPAR gamma is required for the differentiation of adipose tissue in vivo and in vitro. Mol Cell 4: 611–617. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. D-glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase purified from rabbit muscle contains phosphotyrosine. FEBS Lett 304: 21–23. , , , , .
- 1992. Glucose transporter levels in tissues of spontaneously diabetic Zucker fa/fa rat (ZDF/drt) and viable yellow mouse (Avy/a). Diabetes 41: 187–193. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Role of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma in maintenance of the characteristics of mature 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Diabetes 51: 2045–2055. , , , .