DNA methylation: The nuts and bolts of repression
Article first published online: 20 AUG 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Journal of Cellular Physiology
Volume 213, Issue 2, pages 384–390, November 2007
How to Cite
Miranda, T. B. and Jones, P. A. (2007), DNA methylation: The nuts and bolts of repression. J. Cell. Physiol., 213: 384–390. doi: 10.1002/jcp.21224
- Issue published online: 27 AUG 2007
- Article first published online: 20 AUG 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 JUN 2007
- Manuscript Received: 13 JUN 2007
- NIH. Grant Number: R01 CA82422
- TBM is supported by the American Cancer Society Postdoctoral Fellowship. Grant Number: PF-07-100-01-GMC
- 2004. Binding to nonmethylated CpG DNA is essential for target recognition, transactivation, and myeloid transformation by an MLL oncoprotein. Mol Cell Biol 24: 10470–10478. , , .
- 2000. Methylation of a CTCF-dependent boundary controls imprinted expression of the Igf2 gene. Nature 405: 482–485. , .
- 2002. DNA methylation patterns and epigenetic memory. Genes Dev 16: 6–21. .
- 2002. The MT domain of the proto-oncoprotein MLL binds to CpG-containing DNA and discriminated against methylation. Nucleic Acids Res 30: 958–965. , , , , , .
- 2006. Reprogramming efficiency following somatic cell nuclear transfer is influenced by the differentiation and methylation state of the donor nucleus. Stem Cells 24: 2007–2013. , , , , , .
- 2005. Myc represses transcription through recruitment of DNA methyltransferase corepressor. EMBO J 24: 336–346. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Mechanisms of the X-chromosome inactivation. Front Biosci 11: 852–866. , , , .
- 1990. CpG methylation inhibits proenkephalin gene expression and binding of the transcription factor AP-2. Nucleic Acid Res 18: 3975–3982. , .
- 1997. CpG methylation remodels chromatin structure in vitro. J Mol Biol 267: 276–288. , , .
- 2002. Methyltransferase recruitment and DNA hypermethylation of target promoters by an oncogenic transcription factor. Science 295: 1079–1082. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Aberrant DNA methylation as a cancer-inducing mechanism. Annu Rev Pharmol Toxicol 45: 629–656. .
- 2004. Epigenomics: Beyond CpG islands. Nat Rev Genet 5: 446–455. , .
- 2003. The DNA methyltransferases associate with HP1 and the SUV39H1 histone methyltransferase. Nucleic Acids Res 31: 2305–2312. , , , .
- 2002. Role for DNA methylation in the control of cell type specific maspin expression. Nat Genet 31: 175–179. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Constitutive nucleosome depletion and ordered factor assembly at the GRP78 promoter revealed by single molecule footprinting. PLoS Genet 2: e160. , , , , , .
- 2004. DNMT3b interacts with hSNF2h chromatin remodeling enzyme, HDACs1 and 2, and components of the histone methylation system. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 318: 544–555. , , , , , .
- 2005. Brahma links the SWI/SNF chromatin-remodeling complex with MeCP2-dependent transcriptional silencing. Nat Genet 37: 254–264. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Epigenetic control of mouse Oct-4 gene expression in embryonic stem cells and trophoblast stem cells. J Biol Chem 279: 17063–17069. , , , , , .
- 2007. Gene body-specific methylation on the active X chromosome. Science 315: 1141–1143. , .
- 2002. Control of CpNpG DNA methylation by the KRYPTONITE histone H3 methyltransferase. Nature 416: 556–560. , , , .
- 2007. Loss of imprinting and Cancer. J Pathol 211: 261–268. , .
- 1999. The DNA methylation paradox. TIG 15: 34–37. .
- 2002. The fundamental role of epigenetic events in cancer. Nat Rev Genet 3: 415–428. , .
- 2007. The epigenomics of cancer. Cell 128: 683–692. , .
- 1998. Methylated DNA and MeCP2 recruit histone deacetylases to repress transcription. Nat Genet 19: 187–191. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. DNA methylation directs a time-dependent repression of transcription initiation. Curr Biol 7: 157–165. , , .
- 1995. Transcriptional silencing of human Alu sequences and inhibition of protein binding in the box B regulatory elements by 5′-CG-3′ methylation. FEBS Lett 360: 115–120. , , .
- 2007. Chromatin modifications and their function. Cell 128: 693–705. .
- 2005. CpG binding (CXXC) finger protein 1 is a component of the mammalian set1 histone H3-lys4 methyltransferase complex, the analogue of the yeast set1/compass complex. J Biol Chem 280: 41725–41731. , .
- 2003. SUV39h-mediated histone H3 lysine methylation directs DNA methylation to major satellites repeats at pericentric heterochromatin. Curr Biol 13: 1192–1200. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. A targeting sequence directs DNA methyltransferase to sites of DNA replication in mammalian nuclei. Cell 71: 865–873. , , , .
- 2004. Imprinting on distal chromosome 7 in the placenta involves repressive histone methylation independent of DNA methylation. Nat Genet 36: 1291–1295. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. The role of chromatin during transcription. Cell 128: 707–719. , , .
- 2002. Cooperativity between DNA methyltransferases in the maintenance methylation of repetitive elements. Mol Cell Biol 22: 480–491. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Dual histone H3 methylation marks at lysine 9 and 27 required for interaction with chromolase3. EMBO J 23: 4286–4296. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Multiple domains are involved in the targeting of the mouse DNA methyltransferase to the DNA replication foci. Nucleic Acids Res 26: 1038–1045. , , , .
- 2005. RNAi-mediated pathways in the nucleus. Nat Rev Genet 6: 24–35. , .
- 2006. Silenced tumor suppressor genes reactivated by DNA demethylation do not return to a fully euchromatic state. Cancer Res 66: 3541–3549. , , , , , .
- 2007. DNA methylation and complete transcriptional silencing of cancer genes persist after depletion of EZH2. Cancer Res 67: 5097–5102. , , , , .
- 2004. Small interfering RNA-induced transcriptional gene silencing in human cells. Science 305: 1289–1292. , , , .
- 2005. Characterization of Dicer-deficient murine embryonic stem cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 102: 12135–12140. , , , , .
- 1998. Transcriptional repression by the methyl-CpG-binding protein MeCP2 involves a histone deacetylase complex. Nature 393: 386–389. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Stem cell chromatin patterns: An instructive mechanism for DNA hypermethylation. Cell Cycle 9: 1040–1043. , .
- 1999. DNA methyltransferases DNMT3a and DNMT3b are essential for de novo methylation and mammalian development. Cell 99: 247–257. , , , .
- 2007. DNA methylation dictates H3K4 methylation. Mol Cell Biol 27: 2746–2757. , .
- 2007. High-throughput mapping of the chromatin structure of human promoters. Nat Biotechnol 25: 244–248. , , , .
- 1997. Aberrant silencing of the CpG Island-containing human O6-methylguanine DNA methyltransferase gene is associated with the loss of nucleosome-like positioning. Mol Cell Biol 17: 5813–5822. , , .
- 1991. Association of Myn, the murine homolog of max, with c-Myc stimulates methylation-sensitive DNA binding and ras cotransformation. Cell 65: 395–407. , , .
- 1983. 5-Methylcytosine, gene regulation, and cancer. Adv Cancer Res 40: 1–30. , .
- 2000. DNA methylation in health and disease. Nat Rev Genet 1: 11–19. , .
- 2007. Methylation of lysine 4 on histone H3: Intricacy of writing and reading a single epigenetic mark. Mol Cell 25: 15–30. , , .
- 2007. Mechanisms of disease: Methyl-binding domain proteins as potential therapeutic targets in cancer. Nat Clin Pract Oncol 4: 305–315. , , .
- 2004. Histone demethylation mediated by the nuclear amine oxidase homolog L SD1. Cell 119: 941–953. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Functional cooperation between HP1 and DNMT1 mediates gene silencing. Genes Dev 21: 1169–1178. , , , .
- 2002. A genome-wide screen for normally methylated human CpG islands that can identify novel imprinted genes. Genome Res 12: 543–554. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Comprehensive analysis of CpG islands in human chromosomes 21 and 22. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99: 3740–3745. , .
- 2006. Roles of jumonji and jumonji family genes in chromatin regulation and development. Dev Dyn 235: 2449–2459. , , , .
- 2003. Trimethylated lysine 9 of histone H3 is a mark for DNA methylation in Neurospora crassa. Nat Genet 34: 75–79. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Imprinting along the Kcne1 domain on mouse chromosome 7 involves repressive histone methylation and recruitment of polycomb group complexes. Nat Genet 36: 1296–1300. , , , , , , .
- 2006. The polycomb group protein EZH2 directly controls DNA methylation. Nature 439: 871–874. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Cloning of a mammalian transcriptional activator that binds unmethylated CpG motifs and shares CXXC domain with DNA methyltransferases, human thrithorax, and methyl-CpG binding domain protein 1. Mol Cell Biol 20: 2108–2121. , , , , .
- 2007. Distribution, silencing potential and evolutionary impact of promoter DNA methylation in the human genome. Nat Genet 39: 457–466. , , , , , , .
- 2007. DNA hypomethylation and diseases. Biochim Biophys Acta 1775: 138–162. , , .
- 1997. Cytosine methylation and the ecology of intragenomic parasites. TIG 13: 335–340. , , .
- 2007. The human promoter methylome. Nat Genet 39: 442–443. .