Epithelial–mesenchymal interconversions in normal ovarian surface epithelium and ovarian carcinomas: An exception to the norm
Article first published online: 20 AUG 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Journal of Cellular Physiology
Volume 213, Issue 3, pages 581–588, December 2007
How to Cite
Ahmed, N., Thompson, E. W. and Quinn, M. A. (2007), Epithelial–mesenchymal interconversions in normal ovarian surface epithelium and ovarian carcinomas: An exception to the norm. J. Cell. Physiol., 213: 581–588. doi: 10.1002/jcp.21240
- Issue published online: 26 SEP 2007
- Article first published online: 20 AUG 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 JUL 2007
- Manuscript Received: 4 JUL 2007
- BHP Billiton Trust Funds and the Rotary Foundation of Williamston, Melbourne, Australia
- 2006. Molecular pathways regulating EGF-induced epithelio–mesenchymal transition in human ovarian surface epithelium. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 290: C1532–1542. , , , , , .
- 2005. Ascites induces modulation of alpha6beta1 integrin and urokinase plasminogen activator receptor expression and associated functions in ovarian carcinoma. Br J Cancer 92: 1475–1485. , , , , .
- 1995. Expression of two mucin antigens in cultured human ovarian surface epithelium: Influence of a family history of ovarian cancer. Am J Obstet Gynecol 173: 558–565. , , , , , .
- 2001. Ovarian surface epithelium: Biology, endocrinology, and pathology. Endocr Rev 22: 255–288. , , , , .
- 1999. Expression of endothelin 1 and endothelin A receptor in ovarian carcinoma: Evidence for an autocrine role in tumor growth. Cancer Res 59: 720–727. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Cell adhesion in invasion and metastasis. Semin Cell Biol 3: 169–178. , , , , .
- 1992. Regulation of growth of normal ovarian epithelial cells and ovarian cancer cell lines by transforming growth factor-beta. Am J Obstet Gynecol 166: 676–684. , , , , , , ,
- 2006. Disaggregation and invasion of ovarian carcinoma ascites spheroids. J Transl Med 4: 6. , , , .
- 2006. Mesenchymal-to-epithelial transition facilitates bladder cancer metastasis: Role of fibroblast growth factor receptor-2. Cancer Res 66: 11271–11278. , , , , , .
- 2006. Gonadotropins activate proteolysis and increase invasion through protein kinase A and phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase pathways in human epithelial ovarian cancer cells. Cancer Res 66: 3912–3920. , , , .
- 2006. Reassessing epithelial to mesenchymal transition as a prerequisite for carcinoma invasion and metastasis. Cancer Res 66: 8319–8326. , .
- 1995. Central nervous system metastases in patients with ovarian carcinoma. A report of 23 cases and a literature review. Ann Oncol 6: 571–574. , , , , , .
- 1999. alphavbeta3 and vitronectin expression by normal ovarian surface epithelial cells: Role in cell adhesion and cell proliferation. Gynecol Oncol 75: 254–260. , , , .
- 2000. The integrin-linked kinase regulates the cyclin D1 gene through glycogen synthase kinase 3beta and cAMP-responsive element-binding protein-dependent pathways. J Biol Chem 275: 32649–32657. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Ovarian carcinoma and serous effusions. Changing views regarding tumor progression and review of current literature. Anal Cell Pathol 23: 107–128. .
- 2002. Endothelin-1 protects ovarian carcinoma cells against paclitaxel-induced apoptosis: Requirement for Akt activation. Mol Pharmacol 61: 524–532. , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Prognostic factors in patients with stage I epithelial ovarian cancer. Obstet Gynecol 75: 263–273. , , , , , .
- 1994. Overexpression of the Met/HGF receptor in ovarian cancer. Int J Cancer 58: 658–662. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. The reinforcement of invasion in epithelial ovarian cancer cells by 17 beta-Estradiol is associated with up-regulation of Snail. Gynecol Oncol 103: 623–630. , , , , , .
- 1996. Autonomy of the epithelial phenotype in human ovarian surface epithelium: Changes with neoplastic progression and with a family history of ovarian cancer. Int J Cancer 69: 429–436. , , , , , .
- 2005. Snail, Slug, and Smad-interacting protein 1 as novel parameters of disease aggressiveness in metastatic ovarian and breast carcinoma. Cancer 103: 1631–1643. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Expression of E-cadherin transcriptional regulators in ovarian carcinoma. Virchows Arch 449: 520–528. , , , , , .
- 1971. Incessant ovulation—A factor in ovarian neoplasia? Lancet 2: 163. .
- 1972. The role of lymphatic obstruction in the formation of ascites in a murine ovarian carcinoma. Cancer Res 32: 1663–1666. , , , .
- 2007. Adjuvant and neoadjuvant combination chemotherapy for osteogenic sarcoma. Curr Opin Oncol 19: 341–346. , .
- 1991. E-cadherin-mediated cell–cell adhesion prevents invasiveness of human carcinoma cells. J Cell Biol 113: 173–185. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Stimulation of urokinase-type plasminogen activator expression by blockage of E-cadherin-dependent cell–cell adhesion. Cancer Res 53: 3618–3623. , .
- 2006. Hepatocyte growth factor induces cell scattering through MAPK/Egr-1-mediated upregulation of Snail. Embo J 25: 3534–3545. , , , .
- 2005. Distinct mechanisms of TGF-beta1-mediated epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition and metastasis during skin carcinogenesis. J Clin Invest 115: 1714–1723. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Proteomic analysis of a preneoplastic phenotype in ovarian surface epithelial cells derived from prophylactic oophorectomies. Gynecol Oncol 98: 68–76. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Differential gene expression in ovarian carcinoma: Identification of potential biomarkers. Am J Pathol 165: 397–414. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Hypoxia attenuates the expression of E-cadherin via up-regulation of SNAIL in ovarian carcinoma cells. Am J Pathol 163: 1437–1447. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Expression of N-cadherin by human squamous carcinoma cells induces a scattered fibroblastic phenotype with disrupted cell–cell adhesion. J Cell Biol 135: 1643–1654. , , , , .
- 1995. Steroid hormone effects on the proliferation of human ovarian surface epithelium in vitro. Am J Obstet Gynecol 173: 97–104. , , , .
- 2000. N-Cadherin extracellular repeat 4 mediates epithelial to mesenchymal transition and increased motility. J Cell Biol 151: 1193–1206. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Human ovarian surface epithelial cells are capable of physically restructuring extracellular matrix. Am J Obstet Gynecol 167: 1437–1443. , .
- 1999. Telomeric instability and reduced proliferative potential in ovarian surface epithelial cells from women with a family history of ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol 73: 229–236. , , , .
- 1994. Reciprocal interactions between human ovarian surface epithelial cells and adjacent extracellular matrix. Exp Cell Res 215: 97–108. , , , , .
- 2005. Snail and Slug are major determinants of ovarian cancer invasiveness at the transcription level. Gynecol Oncol 97: 155–165. , , .
- 2003. Role for integrin-linked kinase in mediating tubular epithelial to mesenchymal transition and renal interstitial fibrogenesis. J Clin Invest 112: 503–516. , , , , .
- 2007. Neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin (NGAL) an early-screening biomarker for ovarian cancer: NGAL is associated with epidermal growth factor-induced epithelio–mesenchymal transition. Int J Cancer 120: 2426–2434. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Taxol-induced bcl-2 phosphorylation in ovarian cancer cell monolayer and spheroids. Int J Oncol 14: 515–521. , , , .
- 2007. Re: “Randomized phase III trial of three versus six cycles of adjuvant carboplatin and paclitaxel in early stage epithelial ovarian carcinoma: A Gynecologic Oncology Group study”. Gynecol Oncol 105: 279–280; author reply 280–281. .
- 2001. Characterization of a human carcinosarcoma cell line of the ovary established after in vivo change of histologic differentiation. Gynecol Oncol 83: 523–532. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Reduction of E-cadherin levels and deletion of the alpha-catenin gene in human prostate cancer cells. Cancer Res 53: 3585–3590. , , , , .
- 1997. Prognostic significance of residual disease in patients with stage IV epithelial ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol 64: 13–17. , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Transformation of cell adhesion properties by exogenously introduced E-cadherin cDNA. Nature 329: 341–343. , , , , .
- 2006. Sequence mutations and amplification of PIK3CA and AKT2 genes in purified ovarian serous neoplasms. Cancer Biol Ther 5: 779–785. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. A novel in vitro experimental model for ovarian endometriosis: The three-dimensional culture of human ovarian surface epithelial cells in collagen gels. Fertil Steril 71: 50–55. , , , .
- 2003. Cadherin switching in ovarian cancer progression. Int J Cancer 106: 172–177. , , , , .
- 1996. N-cadherin-mediated cell contact inhibits granulosa cell apoptosis in a progesterone-independent manner. Endocrinology 137: 1196–1203. , , .
- 2006. Lysophosphatidic acid is constitutively produced by human peritoneal mesothelial cells and enhances adhesion, migration, and invasion of ovarian cancer cells. Cancer Res 66: 3006–3014. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Endothelin-1 promotes epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition in human ovarian cancer cells. Cancer Res 65: 11649–11657. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Therapeutic targeting of the endothelin a receptor in human ovarian carcinoma. Cancer Res 63: 2447–2453. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Relationship between pelvic lymph node involvement and other disease sites in patients with ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol 65: 164–168. , , , , , .
- 2004. Effects of epidermal growth factor/hydrocortisone on the growth and differentiation of human ovarian surface epithelium. J Soc Gynecol Investig 11: 241–251. , , , , .
- 2000. Endothelin-1 induces an angiogenic phenotype in cultured endothelial cells and stimulates neovascularization in vivo. Am J Pathol 157: 1703–1711. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Microscopic benign and invasive malignant neoplasms and a cancer-prone phenotype in prophylactic oophorectomies. J Natl Cancer Inst 88: 1810–1820. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Three-dimensional spheroid model in tumor biology. Pathobiology 67: 148–157. , .
- 1991. E-cadherin expression in squamous cell carcinomas of head and neck: Inverse correlation with tumor dedifferentiation and lymph node metastasis. Cancer Res 51: 6328–6337. , , , , , .
- 1995. Early de novo ovarian cancer and cancer developing in benign ovarian lesions. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 49: S9–15. .
- 2006. Differential protein expression in ovarian cancer progression: High and low molecular weight comparisons. Australian Health & Medical Research Congress, abstract number 1707. , , , , , , .
- 2007a. alpha2beta 1 integrin affects metastatic potential of ovarian carcinoma spheroids by supporting disaggregation and proteolysis. J Carcinog 6: 11. , , , , .
- 2007b. N-cadherin expression and regulation in ovarian cancer metastasis: Characterisation of a 3-dimensional in vitro model. AACR proceedings, abstract number 5494, p 1298. , , , , .
- 1994. Epidemiology, etiology, and fertility drugs in ovarian epithelial carcinoma: Where are we today? Fertil Steril 62: 433–448. .
- 1996. Human menopausal gonadotropin and the risk of epithelial ovarian cancer. Fertil Steril 65: 13–18. , , , , , .
- 1988. Serial propagation of human ovarian surface epithelium in tissue culture. J Cell Physiol 134: 347–356. , .
- 2005. Proteome changes in ovarian epithelial cells derived from women with BRCA1 mutations and family histories of cancer. Mol Cell Proteomics 4: 156–168. , , , , , .
- 2003. Cell–cell adhesion in the normal ovary and ovarian tumors of epithelial origin; an exception to the rule. Mol Cell Endocrinol 202: 89–96. .
- 2001. Higher levels of soluble E-cadherin in cyst fluid from malignant ovarian tumours than in benign cysts. Anticancer Res 21: 65–70. , , , , , .
- 1997. E-cadherin expression in human epithelial ovarian cancer and normal ovary. Int J Cancer 74: 275–280. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. BMP4 induces EMT and Rho GTPase activation in human ovarian cancer cells. Carcinogenesis 28: 1153–1162. , , , .
- 1997. Basic fibroblast growth factor and N-cadherin maintain rat granulosa cell and ovarian surface epithelial cell viability by stimulating the tyrosine phosphorylation of the fibroblast growth factor receptors. Endocrinology 138: 107–113. , , .
- 2000. Transactivation of the epidermal growth factor receptor in endothelin-1-induced mitogenic signaling in human ovarian carcinoma cells. Cancer Res 60: 5310–5317. , , , .
- 1996. Alpha 2 beta 1 integrin is required for the collagen and FGF-1 induced cell dispersion in a rat bladder carcinoma cell line. Cell Adhes Commun 4: 187–199. , , , .
- 1993. Changes in expression of differentiation markers between normal ovarian cells and derived tumors. Am J Pathol 142: 157–177. , , , , .
- 2006. Vascular endothelial growth factor-regulated ovarian cancer invasion and migration involves expression and activation of matrix metalloproteinases. Int J Cancer 118: 879–888. , , , .
- 1999. Altered surface and cyst epithelium of ovaries removed prophylactically from women with a family history of ovarian cancer. Hum Pathol 30: 151–157. , , , , , .
- 1999. Constitutive and conditional cadherin expression in cultured human ovarian surface epithelium: Influence of family history of ovarian cancer. Int J Cancer 81: 180–188. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Stimulation of ovarian tumor cell proliferation with monocyte products including interleukin-1, interleukin-6, and tumor necrosis factor-alpha. Am J Obstet Gynecol 166: 997–1007. , , , , , , , , ,
- 1993. Secretion of bioactive interleukin-1, interleukin-6, and colony-stimulating factors by human ovarian surface epithelium. Biol Reprod 49: 635–641. , , , .