Equine umbilical cord blood contains a population of stem cells that express Oct4 and differentiate into mesodermal and endodermal cell types
Version of Record online: 10 OCT 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Journal of Cellular Physiology
Volume 215, Issue 2, pages 329–336, May 2008
How to Cite
Reed, S. A. and Johnson, S. E. (2008), Equine umbilical cord blood contains a population of stem cells that express Oct4 and differentiate into mesodermal and endodermal cell types. J. Cell. Physiol., 215: 329–336. doi: 10.1002/jcp.21312
- Issue online: 21 FEB 2008
- Version of Record online: 10 OCT 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 SEP 2007
- Manuscript Received: 2 AUG 2007
- Florida Pari-mutuel Wagering Trust Fund. Grant Number: 00035508
- 2004. Derivation of functional endothelial progenitor cells from human umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells isolated by a novel cell filtration device. Stem Cells (Dayton, Ohio) 22: 994–1002. , , .
- 2004. Expression of transcription factor Oct-4 and other embryonic genes in CD133 positive cells from human umbilical cord blood. Thromb Haemost 92: 767–775. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Human placenta and bone marrow derived MSC cultured in serum-free, b-FGF-containing medium express cell surface frizzled-9 and SSEA-4 and give rise to multilineage differentiation. Differ Res Biol Divers 75: 279–291. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Sox9 is required for cartilage formation. Nat Genet 22: 85–89. , , , , .
- 2004. Clinical isolation and functional characterization of cord blood CD133+ hematopoietic progenitor cells. Transfusion 44: 1087–1097. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Core transcriptional regulatory circuitry in human embryonic stem cells. Cell 122: 947–956. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Expression of early transcription factors Oct4, Sox2 and Nanog by porcine umbilical cord (PUC) matrix cells. Reprod Biol Endocrinol 4: 8. , , , , .
- 2006. Galectin-1 induces skeletal muscle differentiation in human fetal mesenchymal stem cells and increases muscle regeneration. Stem Cells (Dayton, Ohio) 24: 1879–1891. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Phenotypic plasticity and the epigenetics of human disease. Nature 447: 433–440. .
- 1998. Isolation and chondrocytic differentiation of equine bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells. Am J Vet Res 59: 1182–1187. , , , .
- 2007. SSEA-4 identifies mesenchymal stem cells from bone marrow. Blood 109: 1743–1751. , , , , .
- 2007. From the laboratory bench to the patient's bedside: An update on clinical trials with mesenchymal stem cells. J Cell Physiol 211: 27–35. , , .
- 2005. Differential gene expression profiling of CD34+ CD133+ umbilical cord blood hematopoietic stem progenitor cells. Stem Cells Dev 14: 188–198. , , , , , .
- 2002. Preimplantation human embryos and embryonic stem cells show comparable expression of stage-specific embryonic antigens. Stem Cells (Dayton, Ohio) 20: 329–337. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Modulation of chemokine gene expression in CD133+ cord blood-derived human mast cells by cyclosporin A and dexamethasone. Scand J Immunol 64: 571–579. , , , , , , .
- 2005. In vitro differentiation of human umbilical cord blood-derived mesenchymal stem cells into hepatocyte-like cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 330: 1153–1161. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. In vitro cardiomyogenic potential of human umbilical vein-derived mesenchymal stem cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 340: 639–647. , , , , , .
- 2005. Fibroblast growth factor-4 and hepatocyte growth factor induce differentiation of human umbilical cord blood-derived mesenchymal stem cells into hepatocytes. World J Gastroenterol 11: 7461–7465. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Isolation of mesenchymal stem cells from equine umbilical cord blood. BMC Biotechnol 7: 26. , , , .
- 2006. Equine peripheral blood-derived progenitors in comparison to bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells. Stem Cells 24: 1613–1619. , , , , , .
- 2006. Comparative generation and characterization of pluripotent unrestricted somatic stem cells with mesenchymal stem cells from human cord blood. Exp Hematol 34: 1589–1595. , , .
- 2005. Isolation of mesenchymal stem cells from cryopreserved human umbilical cord blood. Int J Hematol 81: 126–130. , , , , , .
- 2001. L-Sox5, Sox6 and Sox9 control essential steps of the chondrocyte differentiation pathway. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 9: S69–S75. , , .
- 2006. Horse embryonic stem cell lines from the proliferation of inner cell mass cells. Stem Cells Dev 15: 523–531. , , , , .
- 2007. Identification of cord blood-derived mesenchymal stem/stromal cell populations with distinct growth kinetics, differentiation potentials, and gene expression profiles. Stem Cells Dev 16: 53–73. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Transcriptional profiling of human cord blood CD133+ and cultured bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells in response to hypoxia. Stem Cells (Dayton, Ohio) 25: 1003–1012. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Multiparametric analysis of immature cell populations in umbilical cord blood and bone marrow. Eur J Haematol 71: 341–350. , , , , , .
- 2005. Production of stem cells with embryonic characteristics from human umbilical cord blood. Cell Prolif 38: 245–255. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. SOX9 binds DNA, activates transcription, and coexpresses with type II collagen during chondrogenesis in the mouse. Dev Biol 183: 108–121. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Stem cells from umbilical cord blood differentiate into myotubes and express dystrophin in vitro only after exposure to in vivo muscle environment. Biol Cell 99: 185–196. , , , , .
- 2004. Pre-clinical development of cord blood-derived progenitor cell graft expanded ex vivo with cytokines and the polyamine copper chelator tetraethylenepentamine. Cytotherapy 6: 344–355. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Embryonic stem cell lines from human blastocysts: Somatic differentiation in vitro. Nat Biotechnol 18: 399–404. , , , , .
- 2004. Differentiation of human umbilical cord blood CD133+ stem cells towards myelo-monocytic lineage. Clin Chim Acta 343: 85–92. , , , , , .
- 2002. Isolation of embryonic stem-like cells from equine blastocysts and their differentiation in vitro. FEBS Lett 531: 389–396. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Aging is associated with decreased maximal life span and accelerated senescence of bone marrow stromal cells. Bone 33: 919–926. , , , .
- 2004. Derivation of human embryonic stem cells from day-8 blastocysts recovered after three-step in vitro culture. Stem Cells (Dayton, Ohio) 22: 790–797. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Induction of human umbilical cord blood-derived stem cells with embryonic stem cell phenotypes into insulin producing islet-like structure. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 354: 919–923. , , , , .
- 2006. Induction of pluripotent stem cells from mouse embryonic and adult fibroblast cultures by defined factors. Cell 126: 663–676. , .
- 2006. Hepatogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells from adipose tissue in comparison with bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells. World J Gastroenterol 12: 5834–5845. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Embryonic stem cell lines derived from human blastocysts. Science (New York, NY) 282: 1145–1147. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Generation of embryonic stem cell lines from mouse blastocysts developed in vivo and in vitro: Relation to Oct-4 expression. Reproduction (Cambridge, England) 132: 59–66. , , , , , .
- 2005. Mesenchymal stem cells derived from CD133-positive cells in mobilized peripheral blood and cord blood: Proliferation, Oct4 expression, and plasticity. Stem Cells 23: 1105–1112. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Cell growth characteristics and differentiation frequency of adherent equine bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stromal cells: Adipogenic and osteogenic capacity. Vet Surg 35: 601–610. , , , , , .
- 2005. Comparative characteristics of mesenchymal stem cells from human bone marrow, adipose tissue, and umbilical cord blood. Exp Hematol 33: 1402–1416. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Myogenic cells derived from rat bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells exposed to 5-azacytidine. Muscle Nerve 18: 1417–1426. , , .
- 2000. Effect of transforming growth factor beta1 on chondrogenic differentiation of cultured equine mesenchymal stem cells. Am J Vet Res 61: 1003–1010. , , , .
- 2001. Chondrocytic differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells sequentially exposed to transforming growth factor-beta1 in monolayer and insulin-like growth factor-I in a three-dimensional matrix. J Orthop Res 19: 738–749. , , , , , .
- 2006. Identification of stem cells from human umbilical cord blood with embryonic and hematopoietic characteristics. Exp Cell Res 312: 2454–2464. , , .