SEARCH

SEARCH BY CITATION

Keywords:

  • Aspiration biopsy complications;
  • Computed tomography;
  • Aspiration biopsy;
  • Interventional radiology;
  • Percutaneous abdominal biopsy;
  • Ultrasound aspiration biopsy

Abstract

The complications of fine-needle abdominal biopsy (FNAB) in 11, 700 patients from our own series and from a review of the literature are reported. The mortality rate (one case of necrotizing pancreatitis) was 0.008%, the rate of major complications (two cases of biliary peritonitis, two tumor seeding, one intrahepatic hematoma, and one peritonitis) was 0.05%, and the rate of other complications (58 cases) was 0.49%, giving a total complication rate of 0.55%.