anatomical diffusion factor
Membrane diffusing capacity
Physiological diffusing capacity for oxygen
Diffusion constant for oxygen (material property)
Body mass [kg] or [ton], see text
Change in metabolic rate (represented by ) for each 10°C change in TB
Respiratory surface area
Oxygen consumption rate
Maximum oxygen uptake capability (represents maximum possible metabolic rate)
Oxygen driving pressure: partial pressure difference between pulmonary capillary blood and lung air
Harmonic mean thickness of air–blood diffusion barrier
Implications of an avian-style respiratory system for gigantism in sauropod dinosaurs†
Article first published online: 2 FEB 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc., A Wiley Company
Journal of Experimental Zoology Part A: Ecological Genetics and Physiology
Special Issue: Sauropsid Respiration
Volume 311A, Issue 8, pages 600–610, 1 October 2009
How to Cite
Perry, S. F., Christian, A., Breuer, T., Pajor, N. and Codd, J. R. (2009), Implications of an avian-style respiratory system for gigantism in sauropod dinosaurs. J. Exp. Zool., 311A: 600–610. doi: 10.1002/jez.517
- Issue published online: 31 AUG 2009
- Article first published online: 2 FEB 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 8 OCT 2008
- Manuscript Received: 4 DEC 2007
- DFG Research Group. Grant Number: FOR 533
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!