Identification of a Novel Metalloproteinase and Its Role in Juvenile Development of the Tobacco Hornworm, Manduca sexta (Linnaeus)
Version of Record online: 25 JAN 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Experimental Zoology Part B: Molecular and Developmental Evolution
Volume 320, Issue 2, pages 105–117, March 2013
How to Cite
2013. Identification of a Novel Metalloproteinase and Its Role in Juvenile Development of the Tobacco Hornworm, Manduca sexta (Linnaeus) J. Exp. Zool. (Mol. Dev. Evol.) 320B:105–117., , , , , , .
- Issue online: 7 MAR 2013
- Version of Record online: 25 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 6 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 16 MAR 2012
- NIH NCRR. Grant Number: 2P20 RR015566
- NSF. Grant Numbers: EPS-0447679, IOS-0953297
- 2008. Identification of a lepidopteran matrix metalloproteinase with dual roles in metamorphosis and innate immunity. Dev Comp Immunol 32:400–409. , .
- 1974. Neutral metal chelator-sensitive protease in insect molting fluid. J Insect Physiol 20:281–290. , .
- 1978. Digestion of cuticle chitin during the moult of Manduca sexta (Lepidoptera: Sphingidae). Insect Biochem 9:221–231. , .
- 1993. Astacins, serralysins, snake venom and matrix metalloproteinases exhibit identical zinc-binding environments (HEXXHXXGXXH and Met-turn) and topologies and should be grouped into a common family, the ‘metzincins’. FEBS Lett 331:134–140. , , .
- 2002. Matrix metalloproteinase: a tail of a frog that became a prince. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 3:207–214. , .
- 1995. Tryptase, the dominant secretory granular protein in human mast cells, is a potent mitogen for cultured dog tracheal smooth muscle cells. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 13:227–236. , , , et al.
- 2010. Intracellular substrate cleavage: a novel dimension in the biochemistry, biology and pathology of matrix metalloproteinases. Crit Rev Biochem Mol Biol 45:351–423. , .
- 1998. The insects: structure and function. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 2010. A matrix metalloproteinase mediates airway remodeling in Drosophila. Dev Biol 344:772–783. , , , , .
- 1996. Effects of chronic hypoxia, normoxia and hyperoxia on larval development in the beetle Tenebrio molitor. J Insect Physiol 42:991–996. , .
- 2006. Proteomic identification of in vivo substrates for matrix metalloproteinases 2 and 9 reveals a mechanism for resolution of inflammation. J Immunol 177:7312–7321. , , , et al.
- 2005. Respiratory changes throughout ontogeny in the tobacco hornworm caterpillar, Manduca sexta. J Exp Biol 208:1385–1392. , .
- 2007. Matrix metalloproteinases in lung: multiple, multifarious, and multifaceted. Physiol Rev 87:69–98. , , .
- 1962. Collagenolytic activity in amphibian tissues: a tissue culture assay. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 48:1014–1022. , .
- 2001. Phylogenetic trees made easy: a how-to manual for molecular biologists. Sunderland, MS: Sinauer Associates, Inc. 179 p. .
- 2011. Dual protective mechanisms of matrix metalloproteinases 2 and 9 in immune defense against Streptococcus pneumoniae. J Immunol 186:6427–6436. , , , et al.
- 1996. Primary structure of ribosomal proteins S3 and S7 from Manduca sexta. Insect Mol Biol 5:31–38. , , .
- 2005. Microarray analysis of immune challenged Drosophila hemocytes. Exp Cell Res 305:145–155. , , .
- 1970. Some properties of silkmoth moulting gel and moulting fluid. J Insect Physiol 16:2241–2256. , .
- 1971. Proteinases of silkmoth moulting fluid: physical and catalytic properties. J Insect Physiol 17:775–800. , .
- 2002. Signaling through the EGF receptor controls lung morphogenesis in part by regulating MT1-MMP-mediated activation of gelatinase A/MMP2. J Cell Sci 115:839–848. , , .
- 2009. Single and multigenerational responses of body mass to atmospheric oxygen concentrations in Drosophila melanogaster: evidence for roles of plasticity and evolution. J Evol Biol 22:2496–2504. , , .
- 2009. MMPs regulate both development and immunity in the Tribolium model insect. PLoS ONE 4:1–14. , , , .
- 2007. The host defense of Drosophila melanogaster. Annu Rev Immunol 25:697–743. , .
- 2004. Impaired immunity to intestinal bacterial infection in stromelysin-1 (matrix metalloproteinase-3)-deficient mice. J Immunol 173:5171–5179. , , , et al.
- 2000. The serpin alpha1-proteinase inhibitor is a critical substrate for gelatinase B/MMP-9 in vivo. Cell 102:647–655. , , , et al.
- 2002. Structural and enzymatic characterization of Drosophila Dm2-MMP, a membrane-bound matrix metalloproteinase with tissue-specific expression. J Biol Chem 277:23321–23329. , , , et al.
- 2000. Dm1-MMP, a matrix metalloproteinase from Drosophila with a potential role in extracellular matrix remodeling during neural development. J Biol Chem 275:35978–35985. , , , , .
- 1988. Development of Tenebrio molitor in low oxygen levels. J Insect Physiol 34:97–103. .
- 1998. Matrix metalloproteinases—structures, evolution and diversification. FASEB J 12:1075–1095. , , , .
- 2004. Regulation of matrix biology by matrix metalloproteinases. Curr Opin Cell Biol 16:558–564. , .
- 1974. Control of molting and metamorphosis in tobacco hornworm, Manduca sexta (L)—growth of last-instar larva and decision to pupate. J Exp Biol 61:481–491. , .
- 2005. Distinctive functions of membrane type 1 matrix-metalloprotease (MT1-MMP or MMP-14) in lung and submandibular gland development are independent of its role in pro-MMP-2 activation. Dev Biol 277:255–269. , , , et al.
- 2007. In search of partners: linking extracellular proteases to substrates. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 8:245–257. , .
- 2006. Validating matrix metalloproteinases as drug targets and anti-targets for cancer therapy. Nat Rev 6:227–239. , .
- 2003. Drosophila matrix metalloproteinases are required for tissue remodeling, but not embryonic development. Dev Cell 4:95–106. , , , .
- 2004. Matrix metalloproteinases as modulators of inflammation and innate immunity. Nat Rev Immunol 4:617–629. , , .
- 1996. Physiology and biochemistry of insect moulting fluid. Advances in insect physiology, Vol. 26. London: Academic Press Ltd. p 157–232. , .
- 1993a. An aminopeptidase from the moulting fluid of the tobacco hornworm, Manduca sexta. Insect Biochem Mol Biol 23:615–620. , , .
- 1993b. A cuticle-degrading proteinase from the moulting fluid of the tobacco hornworm, Manduca sexta. Insect Biochem Mol Biol 23:607–614. , , .
- 2000. Proteinase inhibitors from the molting fluid of the pharate adult tobacco hornworm, Manduca sexta. Arch Insect Biochem Physiol 43:33–43. , .
- 1998. SMART, a simple modular architecture research tool: identification of signaling domains. Proc Natl Acad Sci 95:5857–5864. , , , .
- 2001. How matrix metalloproteinases regulate cell behavior. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 17:463–516. , .
- 2008. The insect cellular immune response. Insect Sci 15:1–14. .
- 2000. Matrix metalloproteinases: effectors of development and normal physiology. Genes Dev 14:2123–2133. , .
- 2000. Matrix metalloproteinases and TIMPs. Oxford: Oxford University Press. , .