This is a modified and expanded version of Hall (2004a) the entry BALFOUR, Francis Maitland (1851–1882) to be published in 2004 in The Dictionary of Nineteenth-Century British Scientists (B. Lightman, ed.) by Thoemmes Press, Bristol, UK [http://www.thoemmes.com]. It is reproduced by kind permission of the general editor, Dr. Bernard Lightman of York University, Toronto, Canada and of Thoemmes Press, 11 Great George Street, Bristol, U. K. It is a pleasure to thank the supervising editor for the entries in Zoology, Dr. Marsha Richmond, for her comments on the original manuscript, and to thank Günter Wagner for the invitation to contribute this vignette.
Francis Maitland Balfour (1851–1882): A founder of evolutionary embryology†
Version of Record online: 19 SEP 2003
© 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Journal of Experimental Zoology Part B: Molecular and Developmental Evolution
Volume 299B, Issue 1, pages 3–8, 15 October 2003
How to Cite
Hall, B. K. (2003), Francis Maitland Balfour (1851–1882): A founder of evolutionary embryology. J. Exp. Zool., 299B: 3–8. doi: 10.1002/jez.b.35
- Issue online: 19 SEP 2003
- Version of Record online: 19 SEP 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 AUG 2003
- Manuscript Received: 4 AUG 2003
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada. Grant Number: A5056 and 257447
- The Killam Trust of The Canada Council for the Arts
- Dalhousie University
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!