Contract grant sponsor: NSF; Contract grant number: DMS-0965587; Contract grant sponsor: Russian Foundation for Basic Research; Contract grant number: 09-01-00244.
A Hypergraph Version of a Graph Packing Theorem by Bollobás and Eldridge
Article first published online: 4 DEC 2012
© 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Graph Theory
Volume 74, Issue 2, pages 222–235, October 2013
How to Cite
Kostochka, A., Stocker, C. and Hamburger, P. (2013), A Hypergraph Version of a Graph Packing Theorem by Bollobás and Eldridge. J. Graph Theory, 74: 222–235. doi: 10.1002/jgt.21706
- Issue published online: 2 AUG 2013
- Article first published online: 4 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 30 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 7 JUN 2011
- NSF. Grant Number: DMS-0965587
- Russian Foundation for Basic Research. Grant Number: 09-01-00244
- graph packing;
Two n-vertex hypergraphs G and H pack, if there is a bijection such that for every edge , the set is not an edge in H. Extending a theorem by Bollobás and Eldridge on graph packing to hypergraphs, we show that if and n-vertex hypergraphs G and H with with no edges of size 0, 1, and n do not pack, then either
- one of G and H contains a spanning graph-star, and each vertex of the other is contained in a graph edge, or
- one of G and H has edges of size not containing a given vertex, and for every vertex x of the other hypergraph some edge of size does not contain x.