Article first published online: 11 OCT 2011
Copyright © 2011 Society of Hospital Medicine
Journal of Hospital Medicine
Volume 6, Issue 8, pages 454–461, October 2011
How to Cite
Schmaltz, S. P., Williams, S. C., Chassin, M. R., Loeb, J. M. and Wachter, R. M. (2011), Hospital performance trends on national quality measures and the association with joint commission accreditation. J. Hosp. Med., 6: 454–461. doi: 10.1002/jhm.905
Disclosure: Nothing to report.
Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
- Issue published online: 11 OCT 2011
- Article first published online: 11 OCT 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 JAN 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 21 DEC 2010
- Manuscript Received: 29 JUL 2010
- Unknown funding agency
- 1The Joint Commission. Facts About Hospital Accreditation. Available at: http://www.jointcommission.org/assets/1/18/Hospital_Accreditation_1_31_11.pdf. Accessed on Feb 16, 2011.
- 2Emergency Response Planning in Hospitals, United States: 2003–2004. Advance Data from Vital and Health Statistics; No. 391. Hattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics; 2007., .
- 3Training for Terrorism-Related Conditions in Hospitals, United States: 2003–2004. Advance Data from Vital and Health Statistics; No. 380. Hattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics; 2006., .
- 4Hospital patient safety: characteristics of best-performing hospitals. J Healthcare Manag. 2007; 52 ( 3): 188–205., , , .
- 11Is JCAHO Accreditation Associated with Better Patient Outcomes in Rural Hospitals? Academy Health Annual Meeting; Boston, MA; June 2005., , , et al.
- 12Hospital quality of care: the link between accreditation and mortality. J Clin Outcomes Manag. 2003; 10( 9): 473–480..
- 15Quality of care in accredited and non-accredited ambulatory surgical centers. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2008; 34( 9): 546–551., , , , .
- 16Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. Specification Manual for National Hospital Quality Measures 2009. Available at: http://www.jointcommission.org/PerformanceMeasurement/PerformanceMeasurement/Current+NHQM+Manual.htm. Accessed May 21, 2009.
- 17Hospital Quality Alliance Homepage. Available at: http://www.hospitalqualityalliance.org/hospitalqualityalliance/index.html. Accessed May 6, 2010
- 20Institute of Medicine, Committee on Quality Health Care in America. Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century. Washington, DC: The National Academy Press; 2001.
- 23The Joint Commission Performance Measure Initiatives Homepage. Available at: http://www.jointcommission.org/PerformanceMeasurement/PerformanceMeasurement/default.htm. Accessed on July 27, 2010.
- 31Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). CMS HQI Demonstration Project-Composite Quality Score Methodology Overview. Available at: http://www.cms.hhs.gov/HospitalQualityInits/downloads/HospitalCompositeQualityScoreMethodologyOverview.pdf. Accessed March 8, 2010.
- 33Quality Check Data Download Website. Available at: http://www.healthcarequalitydata.org. Accessed May 21, 2009.
- 38Bootstrap Methods and Their Application. New York: Cambridge; 1997: chap 6., .