During typesetting, an error was introduced into the title of the article. An earlier version of the article was published on 17 May 2011 with the word ‘preparation’ in the title in place of ‘perpetuation’. This error has been corrected in this version.
GLOBAL CHANGE, SMALL ISLAND STATE RESPONSE: RESTRUCTURING AND THE PERPETUATION OF UNCERTAINTY IN MAURITIUS AND SEYCHELLES
Article first published online: 17 MAY 2011
Copyright © 2011 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Journal of International Development
Volume 25, Issue 1, pages 92–107, January 2013
How to Cite
Kothari, U. and Wilkinson, R. (2013), GLOBAL CHANGE, SMALL ISLAND STATE RESPONSE: RESTRUCTURING AND THE PERPETUATION OF UNCERTAINTY IN MAURITIUS AND SEYCHELLES. J. Int. Dev., 25: 92–107. doi: 10.1002/jid.1784
- Issue published online: 13 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 17 MAY 2011
- British Academy. Grant Number: SG47273
- Nuffield Foundation. Grant Number: SGS/37599
- 2010. Piracy in Seychelles. Diplomat 4 November. .
- 2003. The determinants of economic growth in small states. The Round Table 92(368): 99–124. , .
- 1961. Mauritius at the crossroads: review essay. British Journal of Sociology 12(4): 387–392. .
- 2008. Pacific islands' bilateral trade: the role of remoteness and of transport costs. Journal of International Development 20(4): 486–501. .
- 1995. Small island states and their economic vulnerabilities. World Development 23(9): 1615–1632. .
- 2006. Liberalisation of the clothing industry: the case of Mauritius. Paper presented at the Institute for Global Dialogue Workshop on Liberalisation of the Clothing and Textile Industry, April. , .
- Commonwealth Secretariat. 1997. A Future for Small States: Overcoming Vulnerability. Commonwealth Secretariat: London.
- 2000. Migration and remittances in island microstates: a comparative perspective on the South Pacific and the Caribbean. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 24(1): 52–78. , .
- 2008. Public sector efficiency, foreign aid and small island developing states. Journal of International Development 20(4): 526–546. , .
- 2000. ‘Back to the basics’ through delocalisation: the Mauritian garment industry at the end of the twentieth century. CDR Working Paper, 00.7, Centre for Development Research, Copenhagen. Working Paper Subseries on Globalisation and Economic Restructuring in Africa (October). .
- IMF. 2010. Seychelles: First Review under the Extended Arrangement, Request for Modification of Performance Criteria, and Financing Assurances Review—Staff Report; Staff Supplement; and Press Release. IMF Country Report, No. 10/24. International Monetary Fund: Washington, DC.
- 2010. Small state discourses in the international political economy. Third World Quarterly 31(7): 1091–1105. , .
- 2008. To Be a Nation: The History of Seychelles 1920–1976. Pristine Books: Mahé. .
- 2008. Small island states development challenges: introduction. Journal of International Development 20(4): 481–485. , , .
- 1961. The Economic and Social Structure of Mauritius. Methuen: London. .
- Ministry of Finance and Economic Empowerment. 2009. Poverty Analysis 2006/07. Central Statistics Office: Port Louis.
- 1972. The Overcrowded Barracoon and Other Articles. Andre Deutsch: London. .
- 2008. Foreign direct investment in small island developing states. Journal of International Development 20(4): 502–525. .
- 2001. A Geography of Islands: Small Island Insularity. Routledge: London. .
- 2000. Seychelles since 1770: History of a Slave and Post-slavery Society. Hurst and Company: London. .
- Seychelles National Assessment. 2004. Barbados Programme of Action+10 Review. URL http://www.sidsnet.org/docshare/other/20040113105721_Seychelles_NAR_2003.pdf [Accessed 11 February 2011].
- Seychelles Strategy. 2007. Strategy 2017: creating our nation's wealth together (Victoria: Office of the President). URL http://www.virtualseychelles.sc/downloads/pdf/Seychelles%20Strategy%202017%20Booklet.pdf [Accessed 11 February 2011].
- 1993. The special problems of small countries. World Development 21(2): 197–202. .
- UNEP. 2003. Tourism and Local Agenda 21: The Role of Local Authorities in Sustainable Tourism. United Nations Environment Programme: Paris.
- Voice of America (VOA) News. 2010. Seychelles official warns of threats to country's tuna industry, 16 February. URL http://www1.voanews.com/english/news/africa/east/Seychelles-Official-Warns-of-Threats-to-Countrys-Tuna-Industry-84478922.html [Accessed 11 February 2011].
- 2005. Small economies in a globalising world: the policy challenges ahead. Pacific Economic Bulletin 20(3): 94–102. .
- 2006. Policy challenges for small economies in a globalising world. In Pacific Islands: Regional Integration and Governance, Satish C (ed.). Australian National University Press/Asia Pacific Press: Canberra. .
- 2004. When comparative advantage is not enough: business costs in small remote economies. World Trade Review 3: 347–383. , .
- 2005. Small isn't beautiful: the cost disadvantages of small remote economies. CentrePiece, 10(2): 24–28. , .
- World Bank. 1994. Republic of Seychelles: Poverty in Paradise. Population and Human Resource Division, Africa Region, World Bank: Washington, DC.