On the Nature of the Causal Relationships Between Foreign Direct Investment, GDP and Exports in South Africa
Version of Record online: 29 OCT 2012
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Journal of International Development
Volume 28, Issue 1, pages 112–126, January 2016
How to Cite
2016) On the Nature of the Causal Relationships Between Foreign Direct Investment, GDP and Exports in South Africa. J. Int. Dev., 28: 112–126. doi: 10.1002/jid.2892.(
- Issue online: 18 JAN 2016
- Version of Record online: 29 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 10 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 8 AUG 2011
- 1999. The contribution of FDI to poverty alleviation. Report from the Foreign Investment Advisory Service presented at a conference in Singapore. .
- 1995. A varying-coefficients model of export expansion, factor accumulation and economic growth: evidence from cross-country, time series data. Economic Modelling 12(4): 435–441. , .
- 2005. Foreign direct investment in South Africa: why has it been so low? In Post-Apartheid South Africa: The First Ten Years, Nowak M, Riccil A (eds). Washington D.C: International Monetary Fund. .
- 2003. Liberalization, FDI, and growth in developing countries: a panel cointegration approaches. Economic Inquiry 41(3): 510–516. , , .
- 1996. Exports and economic growth: evidence from cross country analysis. Applied Economics Letters 40(3): 369–73. .
- 2004. Estimating the export and import demand for manufactured goods: the role of FDI. Review of World Economics 140(3): 347–375. , .
- 2003. Do foreign direct investment and gross domestic investment promote economic growth? Review of Development Economics 7(3): 44–57. .
- 2006. FDI and growth: what causes what? World Economy 29(1): 9–19. , .
- 2004. Openness and growth: re- examining foreign direct investment, trade and output linkages in Latin America. Journal of Development Studies 40(4): 167–192. , , .
- 1992. Economic growth in Latin America. Journal of Development Economics 39(1): 59–84. .
- 2004. A causal relationship between trade, foreign direct investment, and economic growth for Greece. American Journal of Applied Sciences 1(3): 230–235. , , .
- 2004. Export-platform foreign direct investment. IIIS Discussion Paper No. 50, Dublin: Institute for International Integration Studies. , , .
- 1998. International trade and foreign direct investment: the interface. In Globalization, Trade and Foreign Direct Investment, J. H. Dunning (ed). Elsevier: Oxford; 19–27. .
- 1994. Exports, growth, and liberalization: an evaluation. Journal of Policy Modelling 16(1): 165–86. , .
- 2001. Overseas investment and firm exports. Review of International Economics 9(1): 108–122. , .
- 1984. A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations. Journal of Political Economy 92(3): 134–142. .
- 1996. Growth or Growth in the Global Ambridge. MIT Press: MA. , .
- 1996. Economic Integration and Trade Liberalization in Southern Africa. World Bank Discussion Paper No. 342: Washington, DC. .
- 1972. The industrial composition of U.S. exports and subsidiary sales to the Canadian market. American Economic Review 62(1/2): 37–45. .
- 2000. Gaining from trade in Southern Africa: complementary policies to underpin the SADC Free Trade Area. Commonwealth Secretariat/Macmillan. , , .
- 1992. Determination of cointegration rank in the presence of a linear trend. Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics 54(2): 383–397. .
- 1995. Likelihood-based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models. Oxford University Press. .
- 2008. Capital account liberalization, financial depth, and economic growth. Journal of International Money and Finance 27(6): 861–875. , .
- 1985. Macroeconomic determinants of growth: cross country evidence. Journal of Monetary Economics 16(1): 141–63. , .
- 2002. Relationship between economic growth, foreign direct investment and trade: evidence from China. Applied Economics 34(1): 1433–1440. , , .
- 1996. Numerical distribution functions for unit root and cointegration tests. Journal of Applied Econometrics 11(6): 601–618. .
- 1999. Numerical distribution functions of likelihood ratio tests for cointegration. Journal of Applied Econometrics 14(1): 563-577. , , .
- 2004. Impact of Foreign direct investment and trade on economic growth: evidence from developing countries. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 86(3): 795–801.Direct Link:, .
- 2002. Discriminating among alternative theories of the multinational enterprise. Review of International Economics 10(1): 694–707. , .
- 1989. Export growth and economic performance in developing countries: further evidence from Africa. Journal of Economic Development 14(1): 127–42. .
- 2001. Causality tests for cross-country panels: a new look on FDI and economic growth in developing countries. Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics 63(1):153–171. , .
- 2001. Exports and economic growth in India: an empirical investigation. Indian Economic Journal 47(3): 67–78. .
- 1997. Further evidence on breaking trend functions in macroeconomic variables. Journal of Econometrics 80(1): 355–385. .
- 1998. Generalised impulse response analysis in linear multivariate models. Economics Letters 58(1): 17–29. , .
- 2003. On unit root tests when the alternative is a trend break stationary process. Journal of Business and Economic Statistics 21: 174–184. .
- 1993. Exports and economic growth in a simultaneous equations model. Journal of Developing Areas 27(2): 289–306. , .
- 2008. Are remittances manna from heaven? a look at business cycle properties of remittances. The North American Journal of Economics and Finance 19(3): 290–303.
- World Bank. 2011. World Development Indicators. Washington, DC.
- 2001. Does foreign direct investment promote economic growth? Evidence from East Asia and Latin America. Contemporary Economic Policy 19(2): 175–185. .
- 1992. Further evidence of great crash, the oil price shock and unit root hypothesis. Journal of Business and Economic Statistics 10(3): 251–270. , .