ANALYSING THE GENDER GAP IN EDUCATION ATTAINMENT: A SIMPLE FRAMEWORK WITH APPLICATION TO GHANA
Article first published online: 22 JAN 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Journal of International Development
Volume 26, Issue 1, pages 59–76, January 2014
How to Cite
Nguyen, M. C. and Wodon, Q. (2014), ANALYSING THE GENDER GAP IN EDUCATION ATTAINMENT: A SIMPLE FRAMEWORK WITH APPLICATION TO GHANA. J. Int. Dev., 26: 59–76. doi: 10.1002/jid.2894
- Issue published online: 5 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 22 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 5 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 4 JAN 2012
- 2009. Accessing education at a cost: stories of students from difficult circumstances. Ghana Journal of Education and Teaching 8: 14–28. , .
- 2009. Revisiting Free Compulsory Universal Basic Education (FCUBE) in Ghana. Comparative Education 45(2): 175–195. .
- 2008. An investigation of provision of quality basic education in Ghana: a case study of selected schools in the central region. Journal of International Cooperation 11(3): 19–37. .
- 2010. Quality basic education in Ghana: prescription, praxis and problems. Paper delivered at the Experience Sharing Seminar, Accra, Ghana. .
- 2009. Mapping the incidence of school dropouts: a case study of communities in Northern Ghana. Comparative Education 45(2): 219–232. , .
- 2011. Understanding the social and economic lives of never-enrolled children: a case study of communities in Northern and Southern Ghana. Create Pathways to Access Research Monograph No. 66, University of Sussex Centre for International Education and University of Cape Coast, Ghana. , .
- 2009. TIMSS 2007 Ghana Report: Findings from IEA's Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study at the Eighth Grade. Adwinsa Publications (Gh) Ltd: Accra. , , .
- 2005. Implementing Quality Education in Low Income Countries: Literature Review for Ghana. Institute for Educational Planning and Administration: Cape Coast, Ghana. , , , .
- 2008. The Impact of Rural–Urban Divide on Quality Basic Education in Ghana. Ghana National Education Campaign Coalition: Accra. .
- CAMFED Ghana. 2011. What works in Girls' education in Ghana: a critical review of the Ghanaian and international literature. Mimeo, Accra.
- 2007. The Leap to Literacy and Life Change in Northern Ghana: An Impact Assessment of School for Life, Final Report (Abridged Version). School for Life: Accra. , .
- 2008. What policies will reduce gender schooling gaps in developing countries: evidence and interpretation. World Development 36(9): 1623–1646. .
- Government of Ghana. 2010a. 2010–2020 Education Strategic Plan, Volume 1: Policies, Strategies, Delivery, and Finance. Ministry of Education: Accra.
- Government of Ghana. 2010b. 2010–2020 Education Strategic Plan, Volume 2: Strategies and Work Programme. Ministry of Education: Accra.
- Government of Ghana. 2010c. Education Sector Performance Report 2010. Ministry of Education: Accra.
- 2009. Religion and education gender gap: are Muslims different? Economics of Education Review 28(3): 337–344. , .
- 2011. Measuring the loss in a country's education investment due to international migration: method and estimates for Ghana. Mimeo, Washington, DC: The World Bank. , .
- 2012a. School inputs, school meals, and capitation grants: impact on enrollment, drop-outs, and repetitions in Ghana. Mimeo, Washington, DC: The World Bank. , .
- 2012b. Test scores in Ghana's primary schools: measuring the impact of school inputs and socio-economic factors. Mimeo, Washington, DC: The World Bank. , .
- 2007. Education Skills and Labor Market Outcomes: Evidence from Ghana. Centre for the Study of African Economies: Oxford. , .
- 2007. Improving access, equity and transitions in education: creating a research agenda. CREATE Pathways to Access Research Monograph 1, Brighton: University of Sussex. .
- 2009. Access to education in sub-Saharan Africa: patterns, problems and possibilities. Comparative Education 45(2): 151–174. .
- 2008. Social exclusion and the gender gap in education. Policy Research Working Paper No. 4562, Washington, DC: The World Bank. , .
- 2009. Educational inequalities in the midst of persistent poverty: diversity across Africa in educational outcomes. Journal of International Development 21(8): 1137–1151. , .
- 2009. The gender education gap in China: the power of water. Institute for the Study of Labor Discussion Paper No. 4108, Bonn: Institute for the Study of Labor. , .
- Mitchell Group. 2009. Review of Basic Education Quality in Ghana Basic Education in Ghana: Progress and Problems. USAID Ghana: Accra.
- 2012. Determinants of education attainment in Ghana: conditional estimates using a large sample household survey. Mimeo, Washington, DC: The World Bank. , .
- 2011. Assessment of the gender gap in Sudan. Maastricht Economic and Social Research and Training Centre on Innovation and Technology UNU-MERIT Working Paper No. 004, United Nations University, Maastricht. .
- 2008. An Investigation into Poverty, Educational Attainment, and Outcomes in Ghana. Associates for Change: Accra. .
- 2010. Gender gap in Pakistan: a socio-demographic analysis. International Journal of Social Economics 37(7): 541–557. , .
- 2009. The determination of exclusion: evidence from the Ghana living standards surveys 1991–2006. Comparative Education 45(2): 197–218. .
- 2007. The determinants of school attendance and attainment in Ghana: a gender perspective. AERC Research Paper 173, Nairobi: African Economic Research Consortium. .
- 2011. Decomposing the increase in TIMSS scores in Ghana: 2003–2007. Mimeo, Singapore: Nanyang Technological University. .
- Tembon M, Fort L. 2008 (eds). Girls' Education in the 21st Century: Gender Equality, Empowerment, and Economic Growth. Directions in Development. The World Bank: Washington, DC.
- UNESCO. 2010. Reaching the Marginalized: EFA Global Monitoring Report 2010. UNESCO: Paris.
- UNESCO. 2011. The Hidden Crisis: Armed Conflict and Education: EFA Global Monitoring Report 2011. UNESCO: Paris.
- USAID. 2005. A Look at Learning: The Final Evaluation of USAID/Ghana's Quality Improvement in Primary Schools (QUIPS) Program. The Mitchell Group: Washington, DC.
- USAID. 2007. Ghana Basic Education Comprehensive Assessment System (BECAS): Final Report. Academy for Education Development: Washington, DC.
- 2002. Into the black box of Ghanaian education: why do increased inputs not lead to better educational outputs? Preparatory Study for the Impact Evaluation of World Bank Support to Basic Education in Ghana Submitted to the Operations Evaluations Department of the World Bank, The Hague: ISS. , , .
- World Bank. 2001. Engendering Development through Gender Equality in Rights, Resources and Voice. World Bank Policy Research Report. The World Bank: Washington, DC.
- World Bank. 2004. Books, Buildings, and Learning Outcomes: An Impact Evaluation of World Bank Support to Basic Education in Ghana. Independent Evaluation Group. The World Bank: Washington, DC.
- World Bank. 2010. Republic of Ghana: Education in Ghana—Improving Equity, Efficiency and Accountability of Education Service Delivery. Report No. 59755-GH. The World Bank: Washington, DC.
- World Bank. 2011a. Gender Equality and Development: World Development Report 2012. The World Bank: Washington, DC.
- World Bank. 2011b. Education Strategy 2020: Learning for All - Investing in People's Knowledge and Skills to Promote Development. The World Bank: Washington, DC.