The views expressed are entirely those of the author. They represent in no way the view of the EU institutions
Policy Arena: Rethinking EU-ACP relations after Cotonou
AN OLD PARTNERSHIP IN A NEW SETTING: ACP–EU RELATIONS FROM A EUROPEAN PERSPECTIVE†
Article first published online: 21 JUN 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Journal of International Development
Volume 25, Issue 5, pages 727–741, July 2013
How to Cite
Pape, E. (2013), AN OLD PARTNERSHIP IN A NEW SETTING: ACP–EU RELATIONS FROM A EUROPEAN PERSPECTIVE. J. Int. Dev., 25: 727–741. doi: 10.1002/jid.2928
- Issue published online: 21 JUN 2013
- Article first published online: 21 JUN 2013
- ACP. 2011. Strategy for renewal and transformation, 2011–2014.
- ACP. 2012. Sipopo Declaration, issued at the 7th Summit of ACP Heads of State and Government, Sipopo, Equatorial Guinea, 13–14 December, ACP/28/065/12 [Final].
- Council of the European Union. 2006. Joint statement by the Council and the representatives of the governments of the Member States meeting within the Council, the European Parliament and the Commission on European Union Development Policy: ‘The European Consensus’. Official Journal of the European Union C 46/1, 24 February.
- Council of the European Union. 2007. Council Regulation (EC) No 1528/2007 of 20 December 2007 applying the arrangements for products originating in certain states which are part of the African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) Group of States provided for in agreements establishing, or leading to the establishment of, Economic Partnership Agreements, Official Journal of the European Union L 348/1-151, 31 December.
- Council of the European Union. 2010a. Consolidated versions of the Treaty on European Union and the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union and the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union. No 6655/2/08 REV 2, 28 May.
- Council of the European Union. 2010b. Council decision concerning the conclusion of consultations with the Republic of Niger under Article 96 of the ACP-EU Partnership Agreement. Official Journal of the European Union L 260/6, 2 October.
- Council of the European Union. 2012. Conclusions of the 3166th Foreign Affairs Council Meeting “Increasing the impact of EU development policy: an agenda for change”. 3166th Foreign Affairs Council meeting, Brussels, 14 May.
- Council of the European Union. 2013. European Council 7/8 February 2013 Conclusions (Multiannual Financial Framework) EUCO 37/13.
- European Commission. 2003. Statement of Commissioner Poul Nielson in response to Council's decision to allocate EUR 250 million from the EDF to support African-led peace keeping operations in Africa. Press Release IP/03/1561, 18 November.
- European Commission. 2009. Supporting democratic governance through the governance initiative: a review and the way forward. SEC (2009) 58, 19 January.
- European Commission. 2011. Proposal for a Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council amending Annex I to Council Regulation (EC) No 1528/2007 as regards the exclusion of a number of countries from the list of regions or states which have concluded negotiations (MAR). COM (2011) 598, 30 September.
- European Commission. 2012a. The African Peace Facility, Annual Report 2011.
- European Commission. 2012b. EU Trade Statistics, ACP excluding South Africa and ACP including South Africa, DG Trade, available at: http://ec.europa.eu/trade/creating-opportunities/bilateral-relations/regions/africa-caribbean-pacific/ (accessed 15 March 2013).
- European Commission. 2013. The European Union Trade Policy 2013, available at: http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2011/august/tradoc_148181.pdf (accessed 15 March 2013).
- European Communities. 2001. Council Regulation (EC) No 416/2001 of 28 February 2001 amending Regulation (EC) No 2820/98 applying a multiannual scheme of generalised tariff preferences for the period1 July 1999 to 31 December 2001 so as to extend duty-free access without any quantitative restrictions to products originating in the least developed countries. Official Journal L 60/43. 1 March.
- European Communities 2002. Consolidated version of the treaty establishing the European Community, Official Journal C 325/33, 24 December.
- European Parliament. 2013. Report on discharge in respect of the implementation of the budget of the Eighth, Ninth and Tenth European Development Funds for the financial year 2010 (COM (2011)0471, C7-0273/2011 – 2011/2212(DEC)). A7-0062/2013, 21 March.
- 2007. Janus Advances? An analysis of EC development policy and the 2005 amended Cotonou partnership agreement. European Foreign Affairs Review 12(1): 39–66. .
- 2012. What after Cotonou? The future cooperation between the EU and the African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) States; SWP (German Institute for International and Security Affairs) Research Paper 9, April. .
- 2012. Challenges and opportunities ahead for the African, Caribbean and Pacific Group of States. Speech delivered at the ACP Summit in Malabo, 13 December, available at: http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_SPEECH-12-957_en.htm?locale=en (accessed 15 March 2013). .
- United Kingdom, Department for International Development (DFID). 2013. http://www.dfid.gov.uk/What-we-do/Who-we-work-with/The-European-Union/ (accessed 31 January 2013).
- UNCTAD (2013) UNCTADSTAT. On-line data base, available at: http://unctadstat.unctad.org/TableViewer/tableView.aspx (accessed 28 February 2013).
- United Nations. 2011. Resolution adopted by the general assembly on the participation of the European Union in the work of the United Nations. A/RES/65/276, available at: http://www.un.org/Depts/dhl/resguide/r65.shtml (accessed 15 March 2013).
- 2012. Study on the Future Perspectives of the ACP Group. ACP Secretariat: Brussels. .
- 2010. Congo. Een geschiedenis. De Bezige Bij: Amsterdam. .
- World Bank. 2012. World Development Indicators, available at: http://data.worldbank.org/data-catalog/world-development-indicators (accessed 15 March 2013).
- WTO. 2001. European Communities—the ACP-EC Partnership Agreement; Decision of 14 November 2001. WT/MIN(01)/15.