Apoptosis in larval and frog skin of Rana pipiens, R. catesbeiana, and Ceratophrys ornata
Article first published online: 11 OCT 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Morphology
Volume 275, Issue 1, pages 51–56, January 2014
How to Cite
Faszewski, E. E., Sljivo, S., Kriszun, L. and Kaltenbach, J. C. (2014), Apoptosis in larval and frog skin of Rana pipiens, R. catesbeiana, and Ceratophrys ornata. J. Morphol., 275: 51–56. doi: 10.1002/jmor.20195
- Issue published online: 9 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 11 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 21 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 5 JUN 2013
- Mount Holyoke College (J.C.K.) and Wheelock College (E.E.F.)
- 1963. Development of the glands of the dermal plicae in Rana pipiens. J Morphol 113:231–243. .
- 1992. Developmental changes in physiological systems. In: Feder ME, Burggren WW, editors. Environmental Physiology of the Amphibians. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. pp 467–530. , .
- 1998. Peterson Field Guides: Reptiles and Amphibians (Eastern and Central North America). New York: Houghton Mifflin. pp 555–556. , .
- 2002. Multiple thyroid-induced muscle growth and death programs during metamorphosis in Xenopus laevis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99:12230–12235. , , ,
- 2007. Apoptosis: A review of programmed cell death. Toxicol Pathol 35:495–516.
- 2003. Programmed cell death in Xenopus laevis spinal cord, tail, and other tissues, prior to, and during metamorphosis. Life Sci 73:3297–3306. , , ,
- 1995. Histology and lectin-binding patterns in the skin of the terrestrial horned frog Ceratophrys ornata. Cell Tissue Res 281:169–177. ,
- 2008. Metamorphic changes in localization of sugars in skin of the leopard frog, Rana pipiens. J. Morphol 269:998–1007. , , ,
- 1984. Amphibian Morphogenesis. Clifton: Humana Press.
- 1985. Changes in amphibian skin during larval development and metamorphosis. In: Balls M, Brown M, editors. Metamorphosis. Oxford: Clarendon Press. pp 59–87.
- 1979. Animal Tissue Techniques. San Francisco: WH Freeman.
- 2011. Amphibian organ remodeling during metamorphosis: Insight into thyroid hormone-induced apoptosis. Dev Growth Differ 53:202–212.
- 1992. Programmed cell death and heterolysis of larval epithelial cells by macrophage-like cells in the anuran small intestine in vivo and in vitro. J Morphol 213:185–195. , Shimozawa
- 1998. Thyroid hormone-induced apoptosis of larval cells and differentiation of pepsinogen-producing cells in the stomach of Xenopus laevis in vitro. Differentiation 63:59–68. , ,
- 2010. Apoptosis in amphibian organs during metamorphosis. Apoptosis 15:350–364. , ,
- 1993. Different distribution of epidermal basal cells in the anuran larval skin correlates with the skin's region-specific fate at metamorphosis. J Exp Zool 267:605–615. , ,
- 2004. Glycoconjugate localization in larval and adult skin of the bullfrog, Rana catesbeiana: A lectin histochemical study. J Morphol 261:184–195. , , , , ,
- 2012. Apoptosis in the digestive tract of herbivorous Rana pipiens larvae and carnivorous Ceratophrys ornata larvae: An immunohistochemical study. J Morphol 273:103–108. , , ,
- 2013. Total sialic acid profile in regressing and remodeling organs during metamorphosis of the marsh frog (Pelophylax ridibundus Pallas 1771). Cell Biochem Funct 31:173–179. , ,
- 1993. Band 3 protein and ion transfer across epithelia: Mitochondria-rich cells in the amphibian skin epithelium. Funct Biol Syst 23:75–82. ,
- 2003. Skin epithelial transport and structural relationships in naturally metamorphosing Pelobates syriacus. J Exp Zool 298A:1–9. , ,
- 1974. An electron-microscope study of cell deletion in the anuran tadpole tail during spontaneous metamorphosis with special reference to apoptosis of striated muscle fibres. J Cell Sci 14:571–585. , ,
- 1985. Autolysis and heterolysis of the epidermal cells in anuran tadpole tail regression. J Morphol 185:269–275. , ,
- 1968. Rana pipiens complex: Mating call structure and taxonomy. Science 162:1003–1005. ,
- 1984. Morphology of the exocrine glands of the frog skin. Am J Anat 171:91–106. ,
- 2005. Programmed cell death during amphibian metamorphosis. Cell Dev Biol 16:271–280. , ,
- 1972. Sympatric interaction between two forms of leopard frog (Rana pipiens complex) in Texas. Copeia 2:232–240.
- 1973. Carbonic anhydrase activity in Rana pipiens skin: Biochemical and histochemical analysis. Histochemie 36:1–4. ,
- 2007. Cyclosporin A suspends transplantation reactions in the marine sponge Microciona prolifera. J Immunol 179:5927–5935. , , , , , ,
- 2003. Tadpole skin dies autonomously in response to thyroid hormone at metamorphosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 100:1769–1774. ,
- 2005. Remodeling of the intestine during metamorphosis of Xenopus laevis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 102:3720–3725. , ,
- 1961. The bodies of Eberth and associated structures in the skin of the frog tadpole. J Exp Zool 147:1–19. ,
- 2008. Threatened Amphibians of the World. Barcelona: Lynx Edicions. , , , , , ,
- 1994. Hormonal regulation of programmed cell-death during amphibian metamorphosis. Biochem Cell Biol 72:581–588.
- 1946. Stages in the normal development of Rana pipiens larvae. Anat Rec 94:7–24. ,
- 2007. Molecular mechanism and evolutional significance of epithelial–mesenchymal interactions in the body- and tail-dependent metamorphic transformation of anuran larval skin. Int Rev Cytol 260:213–260.