In vivo examination of the morphology of the tendinous inscription of the human semitendinosus muscle: Gender and joint position effects
Article first published online: 11 OCT 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Morphology
Volume 275, Issue 1, pages 57–64, January 2014
How to Cite
Kellis, E. and Balidou, A. (2014), In vivo examination of the morphology of the tendinous inscription of the human semitendinosus muscle: Gender and joint position effects. J. Morphol., 275: 57–64. doi: 10.1002/jmor.20196
- Issue published online: 9 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 11 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 27 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 11 APR 2013
- 2009. Validation of a freehand 3D ultrasound system for morphological measures of the medial gastrocnemius muscle. J Biomech 42:1313–1319. , , .
- 1906. Development and variation of the nerves and the musculature of the inferior extremity and of neighboring regions of the trunk in man. Am J Anat 6:259–390. .
- 1962. The length and mode of termination of individual muscle fibres in the human sartorius and posterior femoral muscles. Acta Anat (Basel) 48:242–257. .
- 2004. Sex comparison of extensibility, passive, and active stiffness of the knee flexors. Clin Biomech 19:36–43. , , , .
- 2009. Sex comparison of hamstring structural and material properties. Clin Biomech 24:65–70. , , , , .
- 2012. Activation and aponeurosis morphology affect in vivo muscle tissue strains near the myotendinous junction. J Biomech 45:647–652. , , .
- 1991. Effects of static stretching on the maximal length and resistance to passive stretch of short hamstring muscles. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 14:250–255. .
- 2009. Epimuscular myofascial force transmission: A historical review and implications for new research. International Society of Biomechanics Muybridge Award Lecture, #Taipei, 2007. J Biomech 42:9–21. .
- 2009. Validity of architectural properties of the hamstring muscles: Correlation of ultrasound findings with cadaveric dissection. J Biomech 42:2549–2554. , , , .
- 2010. Muscle architecture variations along the human semitendinosus and biceps femoris (long head) length. J Electromyogr Kinesiol 20:1237–1243. , , , .
- 2012. In vivo and in vitro examination of the tendinous inscription of the human semitendinosus muscle. Cells Tissues Organs 195:365–376. , , , .
- 2008. Novel methods for tendon investigations. Disabil Rehabil 30:1514–1522. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1988. The site of the tendinous interruption in semitendinosus in man. J Anat 157:229–231. , , , , , .
- 2000. Passive tensile stress and energy of the human hamstring muscles in vivo. Scand J Med Sci Sports 10:351–359. , , , .
- 2008. Human tendon behaviour and adaptation, in vivo. J Physiol 586:71–81. , , , .
- 1955. Two-joint muscles of the thigh. J Bone Joint Surg Am 37-A:125–142. , , , , , .
- 2002. Relationship between wire EMG activity, muscle length, and torque of the hamstrings. Clin Biomech 17:569–579. , , .
- 1981. Recruitment of the proximal and distal portions of the cat semitendinosus during running and jumping. Med Sci Sports Exerc 13:127–128. , , .
- 2010. The effects of aponeurosis geometry on strain injury susceptibility explored with a 3D muscle model. J Biomech 43:2574–2581. , .
- 2012. MRI of weight bearing and movement. Osteoarthr Cartil 20:69–78. , .
- 2005. Hamstring muscles: Architecture and innervation. Cells Tissues Organs 179:125–141. , .