Persistence of acute infection with hepatitis B virus genotype A and treatment in Japan
Article first published online: 18 MAR 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Journal of Medical Virology
Volume 76, Issue 1, pages 33–39, May 2005
How to Cite
Suzuki, Y., Kobayashi, M., Ikeda, K., Suzuki, F., Arfase, Y., Akuta, N., Hosaka, T., Saitoh, S., Kobayashi, M., Someya, T., Matsuda, M., Sato, J., Watabiki, S., Miyakawa, Y. and Kumada, H. (2005), Persistence of acute infection with hepatitis B virus genotype A and treatment in Japan. J. Med. Virol., 76: 33–39. doi: 10.1002/jmv.20320
- Issue published online: 18 MAR 2005
- Article first published online: 18 MAR 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 OCT 2004
- Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare of Japan
- acute hepatitis;
- chronic hepatitis;
- hepatitis B virus;
Among the 97 adult patients with acute hepatitis B who were admitted to the Toranomon Hospital in Metropolitan Tokyo during 28 years from 1976 to 2003, 31 (32%) were infected with hepatitis B virus (HBV) genotype A, nine (9%) with genotype B, 44 (45%) with genotype C, one (1%) each with genotypes E and F. HBV in the remaining 11 (11%) patients were untypeable. All the 31 patients with acute hepatitis B caused by HBV genotype A infection were male with a median age of 31 years, and 16 (52%) contracted infection through extramarital sexual contacts. The baseline HBV DNA level was higher in the seven (23%) patients in whom infection with HBV genotype A persisted than the remaining 24 (77%) with spontaneous resolution (median: >8.7 vs. 6.0 log genome equivalents/ml, P = 0.004). Persistent infection was more frequent in patients with maximum alanine aminotransferase <500 IU/L than ≥500 IU/L (83% [5/6] vs. 4% [1/25], P = 0.0001). Of the six patients with persistent HBV genotype A infection who received interferon and/or lamivuidine for treatment of chronic active hepatitis, three (50%) responded with the loss of hepatitis B e antigen (HBeAg); hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg) was cleared from serum in one patient who received interferon and lamivudine in sequence. HBV genotype A persisted along with HBeAg in the remaining three patients given antiviral therapy as well as another who was not treated. In conclusion, infection with HBV genotype A prevails in patients with acute hepatitis B in Japan where genotypes B and C are common, is often contracted sexually (16/31 [52%]) and tends to persist (7/31 [23%]). Infection was cleared in only one of the six (17%) patients who received antiviral therapy. J. Med. Virol. 76:33–39, 2005. © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.