Identification of viral and atypical bacterial pathogens in children hospitalized with acute respiratory infections in Hong Kong by multiplex PCR assays
Article first published online: 21 NOV 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Journal of Medical Virology
Volume 81, Issue 1, pages 153–159, January 2009
How to Cite
Sung, R.Y.T., Chan, P. K.S., Tsen, T., Li, A.M., Lam, W.Y., Yeung, A. C.M. and Nelson, E.A.S. (2009), Identification of viral and atypical bacterial pathogens in children hospitalized with acute respiratory infections in Hong Kong by multiplex PCR assays. J. Med. Virol., 81: 153–159. doi: 10.1002/jmv.21364
- Issue published online: 21 NOV 2008
- Article first published online: 21 NOV 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 SEP 2008
- Research Fund for the Control of Infectious Diseases, Food and Health Bureau, Hong Kong Government. Grant Number: 03040162
- 2002. Outbreak of avian influenza A (H5N1) virus infection in Hong Kong in 1997. Clin Infect Dis 34: S58–S64. .
- 2007. Rhinovirus infection in hospitalized children in Hong Kong. Pediatr Infect Dis J 26: 995–1000. , , , , , .
- 2007. Relationship between five common viruses and febrile seizure in children. Arch Dis Child 92: 589–593. , .
- 2004. Simultaneous detection of fourteen respiratory viruses in clinical specimens by two multiplex reverse transcription nested-PCR assays. J Med Virol 72: 484–495. , , , , .
- 2005. Laboratory diagnosis and surveillance of human respiratory viruses by PCR in Victoria, Australia, 2002-2003. J Med Virol 75: 122–129. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Comparison of multiplex PCR assays and conventional techniques for the diagnostic of respiratory virus infections in children admitted to hospital with an acute respiratory illness. J Med Virol 78: 1498–1504. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Rapid identification of nine microorganisms causing acute respiratory tract infections by single-tube multiplex reverse transcription-PCR: Feasibility study. J Clin Microbiol 37: 1–7. , , , , , .
- 2001. Rhinovirus-induced airway inflammation in asthma: Effect of treatment with inhaled corticosteroids before and during experimental infection. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 164: 1816–1822. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Nasal swab versus nasopharyngeal aspirate for isolation of respiratory viruses. J Clin Microbiol 40: 4337–4339. , , , .
- 2000. Etiology of community-acquired pneumonia in 254 hospitalized children. Pediatr Infect Dis J 19: 293–298. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Rapid multiplex nested PCR for detection of respiratory viruses. J Clin Microbiol 45: 3631–3640. , , , , , , .
- 2003. A major outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome in Hong Kong. New Engl J Med 348: 1986–1994. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Infection control for SARS in a tertiary paediatric centre in Hong Kong. J Hosp Infect 56: 215–222. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- A cluster of adenovirus serotype 3 infections in children in northern Taiwan: Clinical features and laboratory findings.2007. J Microblol Immunol Infect 40: 302–309. , , , , , .
- 2007. Development of a respiratory virus panel test for detection of twenty human respiratory viruses by use of multiplex PCR and a fluid microbead-based assay. J Clin Microbiol 45: 2965–2970. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Assessing disease burden of respiratory disorders in Hong Kong children with hospital discharge data and linked laboratory data. Hong Kong Med J 13: 114–121. , , , , , .
- 2007. MultiCode-PLx system for multiplexed detection of seventeen respiratory viruses. J Clin Microbiol 45: 2779–2786. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Impact of rapid detection of viral and atypical bacterial pathogens by real-time polymerase chain reaction for patients with lower respiratory tract infection. Clin Infect Dis 41: 1438–1444. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Comparative study of nasopharyngeal aspirate and nasal swab specimens for diagnosis of acute viral respiratory infection. J Clin Microbiol 46: 3073–3076. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Respiratory viral infections among pediatric inpatients and outpatients in Taiwan from 1997 to 1999. J Clin Microbiol 39: 111–118. , , , .
- 2001. Direct diagnosis of human respiratory coronaviruses 229E and OC43 by the polymerase chain reaction. J Virol Methods 97: 59–66. , , , , , .
- 2007. Ten years' experience with year-round active surveillance of up to 19 respiratory pathogens in children. Eur J Pediatr 166: 957–966. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Cost-effectiveness of rapid diagnosis of viral respiratory tract infections in pediatric patients. J Clin Microb 35:1579–1581. , , , .
- members of the H5N1 study group. 1998. Clinical features and rapid viral diagnosis of human disease associated with avian influenza H5N1 virus. Lancet 351: 467–471. , , , , , , , , , , ,