Harvard Medical School, 25 Shattuck Street, Boston, MA 02115.
Randomized clinical trial to evaluate the efficacy and safety of valganciclovir in a subset of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome
Article first published online: 19 AUG 2013
© 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Medical Virology
Volume 85, Issue 12, pages 2101–2109, December 2013
How to Cite
Montoya, J. G., Kogelnik, A. M., Bhangoo, M., Lunn, M. R., Flamand, L., Merrihew, L. E., Watt, T., Kubo, J. T., Paik, J. and Desai, M. (2013), Randomized clinical trial to evaluate the efficacy and safety of valganciclovir in a subset of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. J. Med. Virol., 85: 2101–2109. doi: 10.1002/jmv.23713
- Issue published online: 1 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 19 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 JUN 2013
- F. Hoffmann–La Roche (Basel, Switzerland)
- Stanford University School of Medicine Molecular Basis of Medicine Scholarly Concentration
- Stanford University School of Medicine Medical Scholars Fellowship Program
- 2011. Immunological abnormalities as potential biomarkers in chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis. J Transl Med 9:81–90. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. A comparative review of systemic and neurological symptomatology in 12 outbreaks collectively described as chronic fatigue syndrome, epidemic neuromyasthenia, and myalgic encephalomyelitis. Clin Infect Dis 18:S32–S42. , .
- 2010. A formal analysis of cytokine networks in chronic fatigue syndrome. Brain Behav Immun 24:1209–1217. , , , , , .
- 1976. Clinical pathology of the Jarisch–Herxheimer reaction. J Infect Dis 133:696–704. .
- 1996. Viral serologies in patients with chronic fatigue and chronic fatigue syndrome. J Med Virol 50:25–30. , , , , .
- 2011. Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus infection of endothelial cells inhibits neutrophil recruitment through an interleukin-6-dependent mechanism: A new paradigm for viral immune evasion. J Virol 85:7321–7332. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Benefit from B-lymphocyte depletion using the anti-CD20 antibody rituximab in chronic fatigue syndrome. A double-blind and placebo-controlled study. PLoS ONE 6:e26358. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. The chronic fatigue syndrome: A comprehensive approach to its definition and study. International Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Study Group. Ann Intern Med 121:953–959. , , , , , .
- 2003. Validation of the French 'multidimensional fatigue inventory' (MFI 20). Eur J Cancer Care (Engl) 12:58–64. , , , , .
- 2006. Post-infective and chronic fatigue syndromes precipitated by viral and non-viral pathogens: Prospective cohort study. BMJ 333:575–581. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Phenotypic alterations and survival of monocytes following infection by human herpesvirus-6. Arch Virol 151:1603–1614. , .
- 2009. Chronic fatigue syndrome after infectious mononucleosis in adolescents. Pediatrics 124:189–193. , , , , .
- 2002. Chronic fatigue syndrome and arthralgia following parvovirus B19 infection. J Rheumatol 29:595–602. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Biomarkers for chronic fatigue. Brain Behav Immun 26:1202–1210. , , .
- 2006. Use of valganciclovir in patients with elevated antibody titers against Human Herpesvirus-6 (HHV-6) and Epstein–Barr Virus (EBV) who were experiencing central nervous system dysfunction including long-standing fatigue. J Clin Virol 37:S33–S38. , , , , , .
- 2006. Is human herpesvirus-6 a trigger for chronic fatigue syndrome? J Clin Virol 37:S39–S46. .
- 2011. Role of infection and neurologic dysfunction in chronic fatigue syndrome. Semin Neurol 31:325–337. , .
- 2002. Strong interaction between human herpesvirus 6 and peripheral blood monocytes/macrophages during acute infection. J Med Virol 67:364–369. , , , , , .
- 2002. A six-month trial of valacyclovir in the Epstein–Barr virus subset of chronic fatigue syndrome: Improvement in left ventricular function. Drugs Today 38:549–561. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Valacyclovir treatment in Epstein–Barr virus subset chronic fatigue syndrome: Thirty-six months follow-up. In Vivo 21:707–713. , , , .
- 2010. Subset-directed antiviral treatment of 142 herpesvirus patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. Virus Adapt Treat 2:47–57. , , , , , .
- 1994. Summary and perspective: Epidemiology of chronic fatigue syndrome. Clin Infect Dis 18:S57–S60. .
- 2009. Further validation of the multidimensional fatigue inventory in a US adult population sample. Popul Health Metr 7:18–30. , , , , , .
- 2009. Epithelial neutrophil-activating peptide-78 recruits neutrophils into pleural effusion. Eur Respir J 34:184–190. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Improving the tools in the fight against cytomegalovirus or strengthening David to defeat Goliath. Curr Opin Infect Dis 20:397–398. .
- 1995. Prevalence of IgM antibodies to human herpesvirus 6 early antigen (p41/38) in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. J Infect Dis 172:1364–1367. , , , , .
- 2011. Antiviral drugs for viruses other than human immunodeficiency virus. Mayo Clin Proc 86:1009–1026. .
- 2005. Chronic fatique syndrome—A clinically emprical approach to its definition and study. BMC Med 3:19–28. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Infection of primary human monocytes by Epstein–Barr virus. J Virol 74:2612–2619. , , , , , .
- 1985. Persisting illness and fatigue in adults with evidence of Epstein–Barr virus infection. Ann Intern Med 102:7–16. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1988. Acyclovir treatment of the chronic fatigue syndrome. Lack of efficacy in a placebo-controlled trial. New Engl J Med 319:1692–1698. , , , , , , , .
- 1982. Prolonged atypical illness associated with serological evidence of persistent Epstein–Barr virus infection. Lancet 1:61–64. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Epstein–Barr virus (EBV)-infected monocytes facilitate dissemination of EBV within the oral mucosal epithelium. J Virol 81:5484–5496. , , , , , .
- 2007. Epstein–Barr virus infection of Langerhans cell precursors as a mechanism of oral epithelial entry, persistence, and reactivation. J Virol 81:7249–7268. , , , , .