Gene expression profiling of 12633 genes in Alzheimer hippocampal CA1: Transcription and neurotrophic factor down-regulation and up-regulation of apoptotic and pro-inflammatory signaling
Article first published online: 18 OCT 2002
Copyright © 2002 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Journal of Neuroscience Research
Special Issue: Aging Brain and Alzheimer's Disease
Volume 70, Issue 3, pages 462–473, 1 November 2002
How to Cite
Colangelo, V., Schurr, J., Ball, M. J., Pelaez, R. P., Bazan, N. G. and Lukiw, W. J. (2002), Gene expression profiling of 12633 genes in Alzheimer hippocampal CA1: Transcription and neurotrophic factor down-regulation and up-regulation of apoptotic and pro-inflammatory signaling. J. Neurosci. Res., 70: 462–473. doi: 10.1002/jnr.10351
- Issue published online: 18 OCT 2002
- Article first published online: 18 OCT 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 MAY 2002
- Manuscript Revised: 7 MAY 2002
- Manuscript Received: 18 MAR 2002
- National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland. Grant Numbers: AG18031, AG08017
- EENT Foundation of the State of Louisiana
- 1995. An English translation of Alzheimer's 1907 paper, “Uber eine eigenartige Erkankung der Hirnrinde” Clin Anat 8: 429–431. , , , .
- 2001. Cellular zinc sensors: MTF-1 regulation of gene expression. Biometals 14: 223–237. .
- 1998. Selective neuronal vulnerability and specific glial reactions in hippocampal and neocortical organotypic cultures submitted to ischemia. Exp Neurol 150: 30–39. , , , .
- 2000. The cholinergic neuronal phenotype in Alzheimer's disease. Metab Brain Dis 15: 45–64. , .
- 2001. HuR and mRNA stability Cell Mol Life Sci 58: 266–277. , .
- 1994. Cloning, chromosomal mapping and characterization of the human metal-regulatory transcription factor MTF-1. Nucleic Acids Res 22: 3167–3173. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Brain protein oxidation in age-related neurodegenerative disorders that are associated with aggregated proteins. Mech Ageing Dev 122: 945–962. , .
- 2001. Evidence of oxidative damage in Alzheimer's disease brain: central role for amyloid beta-peptide. Trends Mol Med 7: 548–554. , , , .
- 1998. Expression profiles of multiple genes in single neurons of Alzheimer's disease. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 95: 9620–9625. , , , , , .
- 2002. Heat shock factor 1 and heat shock proteins: critical partners in protection against acute cell injury. Crit Care Med 30(1 Suppl ): S43–50. , , .
- 1985. Tyrosine kinase receptor with extensive homology to EGF receptor shares chromosomal location with neu oncogene. Science 230: 1132–1139. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Presenilins and Alzheimer's disease: biological functions and pathogenic mechanisms. Prog Neurobiol 60: 363–384. , , .
- 1989. Molecular cloning of a gene selectively induced by gamma interferon from human macrophage cell line U937. Mol Cell Biol 9: 1922–1928. , , .
- 2001. Neuroinflammation and the genetics of Alzheimer's disease: the search for a pro-inflammatory phenotype. Aging 13: 163–170. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Regulation of mRNA stability in mammalian cells. Gene 265: 11–23. , .
- 1991. Characterization of an immediate-early gene induced in adherent monocytes that encodes I kappa B-like activity. Cell 65: 1281–1289. , , , , , , , ,
- 1998. Cerebral infarcts in patients with autopsy-proven Alzheimer's disease: CERAD, part XVIII. Consortium to Establish a Registry for Alzheimer's Disease. Neurology 51: 159–162. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Roles of the metallothionein family of proteins in the central nervous system. Brain Res Bull 55: 133–145. , , , .
- 1999. Regional distribution of cyclooxygenase-2 in the hippocampal formation in Alzheimer's disease. J Neurosci Res 57: 295–303. , , , , , .
- 2002. Genotype and phenotype in Alzheimer's disease. Br J Psychiatry 180: 131–134. .
- 1997. Cloning and characterization of exodus, a novel beta-chemokine. Blood 89: 3315–3322. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. The cell death-promoting gene DP5, which interacts with the BCL2 family, is induced during neuronal apoptosis following exposure to amyloid beta protein. J Biol Chem 274: 7975–7981. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Synaptic loss reflected by secretoneurin-like immunoreactivity in the human hippocampus in Alzheimer's disease. Eur J Neurosci 10: 1084–1094. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Prediction of the coding sequences of unidentified human genes. XIV. The complete sequences of 100 new cDNA clones (KIAA1088) from brain which code for large proteins in vitro. DNA Res 6: 197–205. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Tissue pH as an indicator of mRNA preservation in human post-mortem brain. Mol Brain Res 28: 311–318. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Increased expression of cyclooxygenases and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma in Alzheimer's disease brains. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 254: 582–586. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Neuron loss from the hippocampus of Alzheimer's disease exceeds extracellular neurofibrillary tangle formation. Acta Neuropathol (Berl) 103: 370–306. , , , .
- 1999. The heavy metal-responsive transcription factor-1 (MTF-1) is not required for neural differentiation. J Biol Chem 380: 711–715. , , , , .
- 2002. Stabilization of vascular endothelial growth factor mRNA by hypoxia-inducible factor 1. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 291: 908–914. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Aluminum and gene transcription in the mammalian central nervous system. In: ExleyC, editor. Aluminum and Alzheimer's disease, the science that describes the link. New York: Elsevier Press. p 147–168. .
- 1997. Cyclooxygenase 2 RNA message abundance, stability, and hypervariability in sporadic Alzheimer neocortex. J Neurosci Res 50: 937–945. , .
- 1998. Strong nuclear factor-kappaB-DNA binding parallels cyclooxygenase-2 gene transcription in aging and in sporadic Alzheimer's disease superior temporal lobe neocortex. J Neurosci Res 53: 583–592. , .
- 2000. Neuroinflammatory signaling up-regulation in Alzheimer's disease. Neurochem Res 25: 1173–1184. , .
- 1996. Synaptic and cytoskeletal RNA message levels in sporadic Alzheimer neocortex. Alzheimer's Res 2: 221–227. , , .
- 2000a. Analysis of 1184 gene transcript levels in AD CA1 hippocampus: synaptic signaling and transcription factor deficits and upregulation of pro-inflammatory pathways. Alzheimer's Rep 3: 161–167. , , , .
- 2000b. Potential of transcriptional coordination of nine genes associated with Alzheimer's disease. Alzheimer's Rep 4: 233–245. , , .
- 2002. COX-2 and PS1 gene expression induced by IL-1beta and Abeta42 is potentiated by hypoxia in human primary neural cells. J Biol Chem 277: 30359–30367. , .
- 2001. Neuronal cell death in nervous system development, disease, and injury. Int J Mol Med 7: 455–478. .
- 2000. Roles of nuclear factor kappaB in neuronal survival and plasticity. J Neurochem 74: 443–456. , , , .
- 1995. The inflammatory response system of brain: implications for therapy of Alzheimer and other neurodegenerative diseases. Brain Res Brain Res Rev 21: 195–218. , .
- 1999. Brain inflammation in Alzheimer disease and the therapeutic implications. Curr Pharm Res 10: 821–836. , .
- 2001a. Polymorphisms in inflammatory genes and the risk of Alzheimer disease. Interleukin-1 and the immunogenetics of Alzheimer disease. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 59: 471–476. , .
- 2001b. Inflammation, autotoxicity and Alzheimer disease. Neurobiol Aging 22: 799–809. , .
- 2001. Pathological correlates of nondemented aging, mild cognitive impairment and early stage Alzheimer's disease. J Molec Neurosci 17: 101–118. , .
- 2000. Interleukin-1 and the immunogenetics of Alzheimer disease. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 59: 471–476. , .
- 1999. Application of the National Institute on Aging (NIA)-Reagan Institute criteria for the neuropathological diagnosis of Alzheimer disease. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 58: 1147–1155. , , , .
- 1999. Slit2-Mediated chemorepulsion and collapse of developing forebrain axons. Neuron 22: 463–473. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Clinical potential of cyclo-oxygenase-2 inhibitors. BioDrugs 15: 563–572. , .
- 1997. NF-kappa B: a crucial transcription factor for glial and neuronal cell function. Trends Neurol Sci 20: 252–258. , .
- 1998. Alzheimer's disease: genetic studies and transgenic models. Ann Rev Genet 32: 461–493. , , , .
- 1997. Analysis of the 5' sequence, genomic structure, and alternative splicing of the presenilin-1 gene (PSEN1) associated with early onset Alzheimer disease. Genomics 40: 415–424. , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2002. Alzheimer's disease and other dementias: a review. Am J Alzheimers Disease and Other Dementias 17: 11–17. , .
- 1995. Inflammation as a pathogenic mechanism in Alzheimer's disease. Arzneimittelforschung 45: 439–442.
- 1989. The human homolog of the JE gene encodes a monocyte secretory protein. Mol Cell Biol 9: 4687–4695. , , , .
- 1996. Control of messenger RNA stability in higher eukaryotes. Trends Genet 5: 171–175. .
- 2002. Stage-dependent and sector-specific neuronal loss in hippocampus during Alzheimer's disease. Acta Neuropathol (Berl) 103: 363–369. , , , .
- 2001. Histone acetyltransferases. Annu Rev Biochem 70: 81–120. , , .
- 1992. I-Rel: a novel rel-related protein that inhibits NF-kappa B transcriptional activity. Genes Dev 6: 745–760. , , , , , .
- 1992. Cloning of a novel tumor necrosis factor-alpha-inducible primary response gene that is differentially expressed in development and capillary tube-like formation in vitro. J Immunol 148: 3302–3312. , , , , .
- 2001. Chemistry and biochemistry of oxidative stress in neurodegenerative disease. Curr Med Chem 8: 721–738. , , .
- 1998. Synaptic density in the inner molecular layer of the hippocampal dentate gyrus in Alzheimer disease J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 57: 1146–1153. , .
- 2001. Molecular and cell biological aspects of Alzheimer disease. J Hum Genet 46: 609–618. .
- 2000. Acetylation of histones and transcription-related factors. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 64: 435–459. , .
- 2000. Molecular genetics of Alzheimer's disease Biol Psychiatry 47: 183–199.
- 2001. Open-system approaches to gene expression in the CNS. J Neurosci 21: 8306–8309. .
- 1992. Gene expression in cells of the central nervous system. Prog Neurobiol 38: 523–569. .
- 2001. New frontiers in Alzheimer's disease genetics. Neuron 32: 181–184. , .
- 2000. Evolutionarily distinct classes of S27 ribosomal proteins with differential mRNA expression in rat hypothalamus. J Neurochem 74: 2259–2267. , , .
- 1999. Genetic and environmental factors in Alzheimer's disease. Rev Neurol 155: 10–16. , , , .
- 2001. Analysis of the proteomic profiling of brain tissue in Alzheimer's disease. Disease Markers 17: 247–257. , .
- 1998. Frameshift mutants of beta amyloid precursor protein. and ubiquitin-B in Alzheimer's and Down patients. Science 279: 242–247. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The sequence of the human genome. Science 291: 1304–51. , , .
- 1998. Molecular mechanisms that underlie structural and functional changes at the postsynaptic membrane during synaptic plasticity. Prog Neurobiol 55: 611–640. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Daxx, a novel Fas-binding protein that activates JNK and apoptosis. Cell 89: 1067-1076. , , , .
- 1999. Changes in synaptic expression of clathrin assembly protein AP180 in Alzheimer's disease analysed by immunohistochemistry. Neuroscience 94: 389-394. , , , .
- 2001. Metallothionein III is reduced in Alzheimer's disease. Brain Res 894: 37-45. , , , , .
- 1992. A novel cell-surface molecule expressed by human interdigitating reticulum cells, Langerhans cells, and activated lymphocytes is a new member of the Ig superfamily. J Immunol 149: 735-742. , , , .