Size distribution of retrovirally marked lineages matches prediction from population measurements of cell cycle behavior
Article first published online: 27 AUG 2002
Copyright © 2002 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Journal of Neuroscience Research
Special Issue: Stem Cells
Volume 69, Issue 6, pages 731–744, 15 September 2002
How to Cite
Cai, L., Hayes, N. L., Takahashi, T., Caviness, V. S. and Nowakowski, R. S. (2002), Size distribution of retrovirally marked lineages matches prediction from population measurements of cell cycle behavior. J. Neurosci. Res., 69: 731–744. doi: 10.1002/jnr.10398
- Issue published online: 27 AUG 2002
- Article first published online: 27 AUG 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 JUN 2002
- Manuscript Revised: 14 JUN 2002
- Manuscript Received: 4 JUN 2002
- NIH. Grant Numbers: MH63957, NS12005
- NASA. Grant Number: NAG2-1367
- Japanese Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Grant Number: 12B-2
- Pharmacia Fund for Growth and Development Research
- 1996. Metaphase spindles rotate in the neuroepithelium of rat cerebral cortex. J Neurosci 16: 7610–7618. .
- 1996. Widespread programmed cell death in proliferative and postmitotic regions of the fetal cerebral cortex. Development 122: 1165–1174. , , .
- 1998. Programmed cell death is a universal feature of embryonic and postnatal neuroproliferative regions throughout the central nervous system. J Comp Neurol 396: 39–50. , , .
- 1968. The human brain in figures and tables: a quantitative handbook. New York: Plenum Press. , .
- < Boulder Committee. 1970. Embryonic vertebrate central nervous system: revised terminology. Anat Rec 166: 257–262.
- 1997a. Local homogeneity of cell cycle legenth in developing mouse cortex. J Neurosci 17: 2079–2087. , , .
- 1997b. Synchrony of clonal cell proliferation and contiguity of clonally related cells: production of mosaicism in the ventricular zone of developing mouse neocortex. J Neurosci 17: 2088–2100. , , .
- 1988. Retrovirus vectors and their applications in neurobiology. Neuron 1: 345–353. .
- 1995. Lineage analysis using retrovirus vectors. Methods Enzymol 254: 387–419. , , , , .
- 1995. Cleavage orientation and the asymmetric inheritance of Notch1 immunoreactivity in mammalian neurogenesis. Cell 82: 631–641. , .
- 1998. Intrinsic polarity of mammalian neuroepithelial cells. Mol Cell Neurosci 11: 183–193. , , , .
- 1984. Axon strata of the cerebral wall in embryonic mice. Dev Brain Res 14: 185–195. , .
- 1993. Modulation of the cell cycle contributes to the parcellation of the primate visual cortex. Nature 366: 464–466. , , , , .
- 1992. A recombinant retrovirus encoding alkaline phosphatase confirms clonal boundary assignment in lineage analysis of murine retina. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89: 693–697. , , .
- 1989. Control of cell number in the developing mammalian visual system. Progr Neurobiol 32: 207–234. , .
- 1983. Local differences in the amount of early cell death in neocortex predict adult local specializations. Science 219: 1349–1351. , .
- 1993. Dispersion of neural progenitors within the germinal zones of the forebrain. Nature 362: 636–638. , , .
- 1996. Restriction of late cerebral cortical progenitors to an upper-layer fate. Neuron 17: 55–61. , .
- 2000. Cell birth, cell death, cell diversity and DNA breaks: how do they all fit together? Trends Neurosci 23: 100–105. , , , .
- 1995. Construction and characterization of a highly complex retroviral library for lineage analysis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 5704–5708. , , .
- 1992. Two cellular inductions involved in photoreceptor determination in the Xenopus retina. Neuron 9: 357–372. , .
- 1983. Neuronal death in the development and aging of the cerebral cortex of the mouse. Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol 9: 297–311. , .
- 2000. Demarcation of early mammalian cortical development by differential expression of fringe genes. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 119: 307–320. , , .
- 1993. The importance of developmental timing in cortical specification. Perspect Dev Neurobiol 1: 93–99. , .
- 1995a. Radial and horizontal deployment of clonally related cells in the primate neocortex: relationship to distinct mitotic lineages. Neuron 15: 311–321. , .
- 1995b. Radial and horizontal deployment of clonally related cells in the primate neocortex: relationship to distinct mitotic lineages. Neuron 15: 311–321. , .
- 1996. Neuronal clones in the cerebral cortex show morphological neurotransmitter heterogeneity during development. Cereb Cortex 6: 490–497. , , .
- 1977. Postnatal development of the mouse cerebral neocortex. I. Quantitative cytoarchitectonics of some motor and sensory areas. J Hirnforsch 18: 461–481. , , .
- 1988. Cell lineage in the cerebral cortex of the mouse studied in vivo and in vitro with a recombinant retrovirus. Neuron 1: 635–647. , , .
- 1993. Neurons, astrocytes, and oligodendrocytes of the rat cerebral cortex originate from separate progenitor cells: an ultrastructural analysis of clonally related cells. J Neurosci 13: 1730–1750. , , .
- 1991. Cell cycle dependence of laminar determination in developing neocortex. Science 254: 282–285. , .
- 1994. Lineage analysis reveals neurotransmitter (GABA or glutamate) but not calcium-binding protein homogeneity in clonally related cortical neurons. J Neurosci 14: 107–123. , , , , .
- 1997. Cell fate specification and symmetrical/asymmetrical divisions in the developing cerebral cortex. J Neurosci 17: 2018–2029. , , , .
- 1997. A gradient in the duration of the G1 phase in the murine neocortical proliferative epithelium. Cereb Cortex 7: 678–689. , , ,
- 2001. Asymmetric inheritance of radial glial fibers by cortical neurons. Neuron 31: 727–741. , , , .
- 2002. Dividing precursor cells of the embryonic cortical ventricular zone have morphological and molecular characteristics of radial glia. J Neurosci 22: 3161–3173. , , , , , .
- 1989. Bromodeoxyuridine immunohistochemical determination of the lengths of the cell cycle and the DNA-synthetic phase for an anatomically defined population. J Neurocytol 18: 311–318. , , .
- 2002. Population dynamics during cell proliferation and neuronogenesis in the developing murine neocortex. In: HohmannC, editor. Cortical development. New York: Springer-Verlag. In press. , , , .
- 1992. Diverse migratory pathways in the developing cerebral cortex. Science 258: 299–302. , , , .
- 1995. Tangential migration of neurons in the developing cerebral cortex. Development 121: 2165–2176. , , , , .
- 1991. Separate progenitor cells give rise to pyramidal and nonpyramidal neurons in the rat telencephalon. Cereb Cortex 1: 463–468. , , , .
- 1987. Lineage analysis in the vertebrate nervous system by retrovirus-mediated gene transfer. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 84: 156–160. , , .
- 1998. Intrinsic programs of patterned cell lineages in isolated vertebrate CNS ventricular zone cells. Development 125: 3143–3152. , , , , .
- 1995a. Radial versus tangential migration of neuronal clones in the developing cerebral cortex [comment]. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 11323–11327. .
- 1995b. A small step for the cell, a giant leap for mankind: a hypothesis of neocortical expansion during evolution. Trends Neurosci 18: 383–388. .
- 1995. Systematic widespread clonal organization in cerebral cortex. Neuron 15: 299–310. , , .
- 1980. The basic uniformity in structure of the neocortex. Brain 103: 221–244. , , .
- 1998. Stem cells in the embryonic cerebral cortex: their role in histogenesis and patterning. J Neurobiol 36: 162–174. , , , .
- 1973. Proliferative characteristics of the ependymal layer during the early development of the mouse neocortex: a pilot study based on recording the number, location and plane of cleavage of mitotic figures. J Anat 116: 67–91. .
- 1995. The cell cycle of the pseudostratified ventricular epithelium of the embryonic murine cerebral wall. J Neurosci 15: 6046–6057. , ,
- 1996a. Interkinetic and migratory behavior of a cohort of neocortical neurons arising in the early embryonic murine cerebral wall. J Neurosci 16: 5762–5776. , ,
- 1996b. The leaving or Q fraction of the murine cerebral proliferative epithelium: a general model of neocortical neuronogenesis. J Neurosci 16: 6183–6196. , ,
- 1993. Radial mosaicism and tangential cell dispersion both contribute to mouse neocortical development. Nature 362: 638–640. , .
- 1997. Apoptosis and its relation to the cell cycle in the developing cerebral cortex. J Neurosci 17: 1075–1085. , , , .
- 2000. Independent controls for neocortical neuron production and histogenetic cell death. Dev Neurosci 22: 125–138. , , , ,
- 1988. Clonally related cortical cells show several migration patterns. Science 242: 1342–1345. , .
- 1992. Widespread dispersion of neuronal clones across functional regions of the cerebral cortex. Science 255: 434–440. , .
- 1993. Clonal dispersion in proliferative layers of developing cerebral cortex. Nature 362: 632–635. , .
- 1991. The generation of neurons and oligodendrocytes from a common precursor cell. Neuron 7: 685–693. , , .
- 1993. Control of cell pattern in the neural tube: motor neuron induction by diffusible factors from notochord and floor plate. Cell 73: 673–686. , , , .