Animal model of dementia induced by entorhinal synaptic damage and partial restoration of cognitive deficits by BDNF and carnitine
Version of Record online: 18 OCT 2002
Copyright © 2002 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Journal of Neuroscience Research
Special Issue: Aging Brain and Alzheimer's Disease
Volume 70, Issue 3, pages 519–527, 1 November 2002
How to Cite
Ando, S., Kobayashi, S., Waki, H., Kon, K., Fukui, F., Tadenuma, T., Iwamoto, M., Takeda, Y., Izumiyama, N., Watanabe, K. and Nakamura, H. (2002), Animal model of dementia induced by entorhinal synaptic damage and partial restoration of cognitive deficits by BDNF and carnitine. J. Neurosci. Res., 70: 519–527. doi: 10.1002/jnr.10443
- Issue online: 18 OCT 2002
- Version of Record online: 18 OCT 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 JUL 2002
- Manuscript Revised: 19 JUL 2002
- Manuscript Received: 28 JUN 2002
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government
- 1997. Evidence that synaptobrevin is involved in fusion between synaptic vesicles and synaptic plasma membrane vesicles. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 236: 184–188. , , , .
- 1999. Rescue and regrowth of sensory nerves following deafferentation by neurotrophic factors. Ann N Y Acad Sci 884: 305–311. , , , , , .
- 1991. Longitudinal study on age-related changes of working memory and reference memory in the rat. Neurosci Lett 128: 17–20. , .
- 2001. Enhancement of learning capacity and cholinergic synaptic function by carnitine in aging rats. J Neurosci Res 66: 266–271. , , , , , .
- 2000. Effect of long-term feeding with acetyl-L-carnitine on the age-related changes in rat brain lipid composition: a study by 31P NMR spectroscopy. Neurochem Res 25: 395–399. , , , , , , .
- 2001. The role of the entorhinal cortex in two forms of spatial learning and memory. Exp Brain Res 141: 281–303. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Opposite relationship of hippocampal and rhinal cortex damage to delayed nonmatching-to-sample deficits in monkeys. Hippocampus 11: 61–71. , .
- 1994. Dynamic morphology of the synaptic junctional areas during aging: the effect of chronic acetyl-L-carnitine administration. Brain Res 656: 359–366. , , , , .
- 1996. Synaptic pathology in Alzheimer's disease: relation to severity of dementia, but not to senile plaques, neurofibrillary tangles, or the apo E4 allele. J Neural Transm 103: 603–618. , , , , .
- 1999. Attenuation by acetyl-L-carnitine of neurological damage and biochemical derangement following brain ischemia and reperfusion. Int J Tissue React 21: 1–6. , .
- 2000. Synaptic loss is accompanied by an increase in synaptic area in the dentate gyrus of aged human apolipoprotein E4 transgenic mice. Neuroscience 97: 685–692. , , .
- 1995. Acetyl-L-carnitine: chronic treatment improves spatial acquisition in a new environment in aged rats. J Gerontol 50 (Suppl): 232–236. , , .
- 1984. Cell biology of synaptic plasticity. Science 225: 1287–1293. , .
- 1999. The biochemical pathway of neurofibrillary degeneration in aging and Alzheimer's disease. Neurology 52: 1158–1165. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Enhanced expression of AMPA receptor protein at perforated axospinous synapses. Neuroreport 9: 857–860. , .
- 1993. Dicistronic transcription units for gene expression in mammalian cells. Gene 128: 247–249. , , .
- 2001. Entorhinal cortex disruption causes memory deficit in early Alzheimer's disease as shown by PET. Neuroreport 12: 683–685. , , , , .
- 1995. Effects of levo-acetyl carnitine on second motoneurons survival after axotomy. Neurol Res 17: 373–376. , , , , , .
- 1998. Effect of mono- and tetra-sialogangliosides, GM1 and GQ1b, on long-term potentiation in the CA1 hippocampal neurons of the guinea pig. Exp Brain Res 123: 307–314. , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Perforated axospinous synapses with multiple, completely partitioned transmission zones: probable structural intermediates in synaptic plasticity. Hippocampus 3: 417–434. .
- 1982. Memory deficits in an experimental hippocampal epileptiform syndrome in rats. Exp Neurol 75: 678–689. , .
- 1998. A new continuous alternation task in T-maze detects hippocampal dysfunction in mice: a strain comparison and lesion study. Behav Brain Res 95: 91–101. .
- 1998. Temporal cortex synaptophysin mRNA is reduced in Alzheimer's disease and is negatively correlated with the severity of dementia. Exp Neurol 150: 235–239. , , , , , .
- 1995. Loss of synaptophysin-like immunoreactivity in the hippocampal formation is an early phenomenon in Alzheimer's disease. Neuroscience 64: 375–384. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Toxins affecting the cholinergic system. In: HerkenH, HuchoF, editors. Selective neurotoxicity. Berlin: Springer-Verlag. p 293–332. , .
- 2001. Aberrant synaptic transmission in the hippocampal CA3 region and cognitive deterioration in protein-repair enzyme-deficient mice. Hippocampus 11: 287–298. , , , , , .
- 1998. Medical therapy and botulinum toxin in dystonia. In: FahnS, MarsdenCD, DeLongM, editors. Advances in neurology, vol. 3. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven. p 169–183. .
- 1994. A simple and efficient method for purification of infectious recombinant adenovirus. Jpn J Med Sci Biol 47: 157–166. , , .
- 1995. Efficient gene activation in mammalian cells by using recombinant adenovirus expressing site-specific Cre recombinase. Nucleic Acids Res 23: 3816–3821. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Dietary carnitine supplements slow disease progression in a putative mouse model for hereditary ceroid-lipofuscinosis. J Neurosci Res 50: 123–132. , , .
- 2001. Acetyl-L-carnitine enhances Na, K-ATPase glutathione-S-transferase and multiple unit activity and reduces lipid peroxidation and lipofuscin concentration in aged rat brain regions. Neurosci Lett 301: 1–4. , , .
- 1999. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor prevents neuronal death and glial activation after global ischemia in the rat. J Neurosci Res 56: 21–27. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor promotes the survival of neurons arising from the adult rat forebrain subependymal zone. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 210–214. , .
- 2002. Effects of an enriched environment of different duration and starting times on the learning capacity during aging in rats assessed by a refined procedure of the Hebb-Williams maze task. J Neurosci Res 70: 340–346. , , .
- 1993. Acetylcholinesterase activity and post-lesional plasticity in the hippocampus of young and aged rats. Neuroscience 55: 91–103. , , , .
- 1995. Tetanus toxin-induced seizures in infant rats and their effects on hippocampal excitability in adulthood. Brain Res 677: 97–109. , , , , .
- 1992. Alzheimer's disease and aging: effects on perforant pathway perikarya and synapses. Neurobiol Aging 13: 405–411. , , , , .
- 2002. Age-associated mitochondrial oxidation decay: improvement of carnitine acetyltransferase substrate-binding affinity and activity in brain by feeding old rats acetyl-L-carnitine and/or R-lipoic acid. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99: 1876–1881. , , .
- 2001. The effect of L-carnitine on T-maze learning ability in aged rats. Arch Gerontol Geriatr 32: 245–253. , , .
- 1993. Role of synaptic pathology in the mechanisms of dementia in Alzheimer's disease. Clin Neurosci 1: 192–198. , .
- 1996. Efficient generation of recombinant adenoviruses using adenovirus DNA-terminal protein complex and a cosmid bearing the full-length virus genome. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93: 1320–1324. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Involvement of the brain-derived neurotrophic factor/TrkB pathway in neuroprotective effect of cyclosporin A in forebrain ischemia. Neuroscience 105: 571–578. , , , , , .
- 1994. Neuropathological diagnosis of senile dementia of the Alzheimer type (SDAT): proposal of diagnostic criteria and report of the Japanese research meeting on neuropathological diagnosis of SDAT. Neuropathology 14: 91–103. .
- 1997. Hippocampal atrophy secondary to entorhinal cortical degeneration in Alzheimer type dementia. Neurosci Lett 222: 119–122. , .
- 1995. Age-related learning deficits in transgenic mice expressing the 751-amino acid isoform of human β-amyloid precursor protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 5341–5345. , , , .
- 1997. Life and death of neurons in the aging brain. Science 278: 412–419. , .
- 1993. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) prevents the degeneration of medial septal cholinergic neurons following fimbria transection. J Neurosci 13: 4146–4156. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Uses of botulinum toxin injection in medicine today. BMJ 320: 161–165. , .
- 1999. Activity-dependent formation of perforated synapses in cultured hippocampal neurons. Eur J Neurosci 11: 4241–4250. , , .
- 1994. β-Amyloid protein-induced Alzheimer's disease animal. Neurosci Lett 170: 63–66. , , , .
- 1995. Clinical and neurochemical effects of acetyl-L-carnitine in Alzheimer's disease. Neurobiol Aging 16: 1–4. , , , , .
- 1998. Genetic neurodegenerative diseases: the human illness and transgenic models. Science 282: 1079–1083. , , .
- 2001. Neuron number in the entorhinal cortex and CA1 in preclinical Alzheimer's disease. Arch Neurol 58: 1395–1402. , , , , , .
- 1997. Cholinergic immunolesions by 192IgG-saporin: a useful tool to simulate pathogenic aspects of Alzheimer's disease. Int J Dev Neurosci 15: 835–850. .
- 1985. Separation, purification, partial characterization and comparison of the heavy and light chains of botulinum neurotoxin types A, B and E. J Biol Chem 260: 10461–10466. , .
- 1993. Synapse loss in the temporal lobe in Alzheimer's disease. Ann Neurol 33: 190–199. , .
- 1993. Quantitative assessment of synaptic density in the entorhinal cortex in Alzheimer's disease. Ann Neurol 34: 356–361. , , .
- 1992. Tetanus and botulinum-B neurotoxins block neurotransmitter release by proteolytic cleavage of synaptobrevin. Nature 359: 832–835. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Effect of acetyl-L-carnitine on the dopaminergic system in aging brain. J Neurosci Res 30: 555–559. , , , , .
- 1997. Differential involvement of synaptic vesicle and presynaptic plasma membrane proteins in Alzheimer's disease. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 236: 239–242. , , , , .
- 1995. Acetyl-L-carnitine attenuates neuronal damage in gerbils with transient forebrain ischemia only when given before the insult. Neurochem Res 20: 1021–1025. , , , , .
- 1998. Selective deposition of amyloid-β protein in the entorhinal-dentate projection of a transgenic mouse model of Alzheimer's disease. J Neurosci Res 53: 177–186. , .
- 2001. Restoration of decreased N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor activity by brain-derived neurotrophic factor in the cultured hippocampal neurons: involvement of camp. Arch Biochem Biophys 394: 209–215. , , , , , .
- 1994. Acetyl-L-carnitine treatment increases nerve growth factor levels and choline acetyltransferase activity in the central nervous system of aged rats. Exp Gerontol 29: 55–66. , , , , , .
- 1991. Physical basis of cognitive alterations in Alzheimer's disease: synaptic loss in the major correlate of cognitive impairment. Ann Neurol 30: 572–580. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. A 1-year controlled trial of acetyl-L-carnitine in early-onset AD. Neurology 55: 805–810. , , , .
- 1984. AF64A, a cholinergic neurotoxin, selectively depletes acetylcholine in hippocampus and cortex, and produces long-term passive avoidance and radial-arm maze deficits in the rat. Brain Res 321: 91–102. , , , , , .
- 1994. Perirhinal cortex lesions in rats disrupt performance in a spatial DNMS task. Neuroreport 5: 1405–1408. , .
- 2000. Animal models of Alzheimer's disease and evaluation of anti-dementia drugs. Pharmacol Ther 88: 93–113. , .