E.J. Neuberger and R. Abdul Wahab contributed equally to this work.
Distinct effect of impact rise times on immediate and early neuropathology after brain injury in juvenile rats
Version of Record online: 5 MAY 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Journal of Neuroscience Research Published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Journal of Neuroscience Research
Volume 92, Issue 10, pages 1350–1361, October 2014
How to Cite
Neuberger, E. J., Abdul Wahab, R., Jayakumar, A., Pfister, B. J. and Santhakumar, V. (2014), Distinct effect of impact rise times on immediate and early neuropathology after brain injury in juvenile rats. J. Neurosci. Res., 92: 1350–1361. doi: 10.1002/jnr.23401
- Issue online: 13 AUG 2014
- Version of Record online: 5 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 25 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 11 DEC 2013
- NJCBIR. Grant Numbers: CBIR11PJT003, 09.003-BIR1
- NIH/NINDS. Grant Number: NS069861
- F.M, Kirby Foundation
- 2011. Precisely controllable traumatic brain injury devices for rodent models. Bioengineering Conference (NEBEC), 2011 IEEE 37th Annual Northeast. p 1–2. , , , , .
- 2000. The risks of epilepsy after traumatic brain injury. Seizure 9:453–457. , .
- 1997. A high-frequency shear device for testing soft biological tissues. J Biomechanics 30:757–759. , , , , .
- 1999. Regional and temporal characterization of neuronal, glial, and axonal response after traumatic brain injury in the mouse. Acta Neuropathol 98:396–406. , .
- 2010. Traumatic brain injury: an overview of pathobiology with emphasis on military populations. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 30:255–266. , .
- 2001. Ultrastructural and functional characteristics of blast injury-induced neurotrauma. J Trauma 50:695–706. , , , , .
- 2014. Chronic neurodegenerative consequences of traumatic brain injury. Restor Neurol Neurosci (in press). .
- 2007. Measurement of blast wave by a miniature fiber optic pressure transducer in the rat brain. J Neurosci Methods 159:277–281. , , , .
- 2012. Traumatic brain injury: risks of epilepsy and implications for medicolegal assessment. Epilepsia 53(Suppl 4):43–47. .
- 2007. Injury-induced alterations in CNS electrophysiology. Prog Brain Res 161:143–169. , , , , , .
- 2008. Predicting outcome after traumatic brain injury: practical prognostic models based on large cohort of international patients. Br Med J 336:425–429. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Management of the adolescent concussion victim. Adolescent Med 20:41–56, viii. .
- 2011. Concussive brain trauma in the mouse results in acute cognitive deficits and sustained impairment of axonal function. J Neurotrauma 28:547–563. , , , , .
- 2004. Post-traumatic epilepsy following fluid percussion injury in the rat. Brain 127:304–314. , , , , , .
- 1987. A fluid percussion model of experimental brain injury in the rat. J Neurosurg 67:110–119. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Blast-related mild traumatic brain injury: mechanisms of injury and impact on clinical care. Mt Sinai J Med 76:111–118. , .
- 1998. Epilepsy: a comprehensive textbook. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven. , .
- 1990. Golgi-like demonstration of “dark” neurons with an argyrophil III method for experimental neuropathology. Acta Neuropathol 79:620–628. , , , .
- 2006. Posttraumatic epilepsy: a major problem in desperate need of major advances. Epilepsy Curr 6:1–5. , .
- 2000. Tissue tears in the white matter after lateral fluid percussion brain injury in the rat: relevance to human brain injury. Acta Neuropathol 99:117–124. , , , , .
- 2012. Decrease in tonic inhibition contributes to increase in dentate semilunar granule cell excitability after brain injury. J Neurosci 32:2523–2537. , , , , .
- 2002. Epilepsy after brain insult: targeting epileptogenesis. Neurology 59(Suppl 5):S21–S26. .
- 1993. Mild experimental brain injury in the rat induces cognitive deficits associated with regional neuronal loss in the hippocampus. J Neurotrauma 10:405–414. , , , , .
- 2011. Differential effects of injury severity on cognition and cellular pathology after contusive brain trauma in the immature rat. J Neurotrauma 28:245–257. , , .
- 2006. Tracking neuropsychological recovery following concussion in sport. Brain Injury 20:245–252. , , , .
- 1995. Associative EPSP—spike potentiation induced by pairing orthodromic and antidromic stimulation in rat hippocampal slices. J Physiol 484:689–705. , , .
- 2010. Traumatic brain injury and amyloid-beta pathology: a link to Alzheimer's disease? Nat Rev Neurosci 11:361–370. , , .
- 2012. White matter abnormalities in veterans with mild traumatic brain injury. Am J Psychiatry 169:1284–1291. , , , , , , .
- 2006. A model of posttraumatic epilepsy induced by lateral fluid-percussion brain injury in rats. Neuroscience 140:685–697. , , , .
- 2011. A mouse model of blast injury to brain: initial pathological, neuropathological, and behavioral characterization. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 70:399–416. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Traumatic brain injury, paraquat exposure, and their relationship to Parkinson disease. Neurology 79:2061–2066. , , , .
- 1997. Fluid percussion injury causes disruption of the septohippocampal pathway in the rat. Exp Neurol 143:177–187. , , , , .
- 1992. Selective vulnerability of dentate hilar neurons following traumatic brain injury: a potential mechanistic link between head trauma and disorders of the hippocampus. J Neurosci 12:4846–4853. , , , .
- 2004. Effect of acute calcium influx after mechanical stretch injury in vitro on the viability of hippocampal neurons. J Neurotrauma 21:61–72. , , , , .
- 2011. Engineering a high throughput axon injury system. J Neurotrauma 28:2203–2218. , , , , , , .
- 1989. Delayed increase of Ca2+ influx elicited by glutamate: role in neuronal death. Mol Pharmacol 36:106–112. , , , .
- 2003. A tissue level tolerance criterion for living brain developed with an in vitro model of traumatic mechanical loading. Stapp Car Crash J 47:93–105. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Traumatic brain injury-induced excitotoxicity assessed in a controlled cortical impact model. J Neurochem 61:2015–2024. , , , , , .
- 1994. Workshop on animal models of traumatic brain injury. J Neurotrauma 11:723–732. , , , .
- 2002. Regional, directional, and age-dependent properties of the brain undergoing large deformation. J Biomechanical Eng 124:244–252. , .
- 2012. Mechanical characterization of brain tissue in compression at dynamic strain rates. J Mechanical Behav Biomedical Materials 10:23–38. , , .
- 2011. Mechanisms of blast induced brain injuries, experimental studies in rats. Neuroimage 54(Suppl 1):S89–S97. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. A mouse model of blast-induced mild traumatic brain injury. Exp Neurol 232:280–289. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Classification of traumatic brain injury for targeted therapies. J Neurotrauma 25:719–738. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Granule cell hyperexcitability in the early post-traumatic rat dentate gyrus: the “irritable mossy cell” hypothesis. J Physiol 524:117–134. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Long-term hyperexcitability in the hippocampus after experimental head trauma. Ann Neurol 50:708–717. , , , , .
- 2003. Post-traumatic hyperexcitability is not caused by impaired buffering of extracellular potassium. J Neurosci 23:5865–5876. , , , .
- 2012. Porcine head response to blast. Front Neurol 3:70. , , , , , , .
- 1972. Rheological response of human brain tissue in shear. J Basic Eng 94:905–911. , .
- 2013. Rat injury model under controlled field-relevant primary blast conditions: acute response to a wide range of peak overpressures. J Neurotrauma 30:1147–1160. , , , , , , .
- 2000. The Glasgow Coma Scale. J Emerg Med 19:67–71. .
- 2008. Predicting outcome after traumatic brain injury: development and international validation of prognostic scores based on admission characteristics. PLoS Med 5:e165; discussion e165. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Neuronal polarization: the cytoskeleton leads the way. Dev Neurobiol 71:430–444. , .
- 2002. Traumatic brain injury: hope through research. Bethesda, MD: NIoNDa. .
- 2013. Aging- and injury-related differential apoptotic response in the dentate gyrus of the hippocampus in rats following brain trauma. Front Aging Neurosci 5:95. , , , , , .
- 1997. Instantaneous perturbation of dentate interneuronal networks by a pressure wave-transient delivered to the neocortex. J Neurosci 17:8106–8117. , , , .
- 2009. Neuropsychiatric problems after traumatic brain injury: unraveling the silent epidemic. Psychosomatics 50:198–205. , , .
- 1990. Trauma-induced Golgi-like staining of neurons: a new approach to neuronal organization and response to injury. J Comp Neurol 296:654–673. , .
- 2007. Magnetic resonance elastography compared with rotational rheometry for in vitro brain tissue viscoelasticity measurement. Magma 20:273–278. , , , , , .
- 1993. New stereological methods for counting neurons. Neurobiol Aging 14:275–285. .
- 1991. Unbiased stereological estimation of the total number of neurons in thesubdivisions of the rat hippocampus using the optical fractionator. Anat Rec 231:482–497. , , .
- 2004. Raised parenchymal interleukin-6 levels correlate with improved outcome after traumatic brain injury. Brain 127:315–320. , , , .
- 2012. The influence of headform orientation and flooring systems on impact dynamics during simulated fall-related head impacts. Med Eng Physics 34:1071–1078. , .
- 2006. Excitotoxic mechanisms and the role of astrocytic glutamate transporters in traumatic brain injury. Neurochem Int 48:394–403. , .
- 2013. Status epilepticus enhances tonic GABA currents and depolarizes GABA reversal potential in dentate fast-spiking basket cells. J Neurophysiol 109:1746–1763. , , , , .
- 2006a. Brain strains in vehicle impact tests. Annu Proc Automotive Med 50:1–12. , , , .
- 2006b. Role of translational and rotational accelerations on brain strain in lateral head impact. Biomed Sci Instrument 42:501–506. , , , .
- 2009a. Experimental study of blast-induced traumatic brain injury using a physical head model. Stapp Car Crash J 53:215–227. , , , , .
- 2009b. Dynamic biomechanics of the human head in lateral impacts. Annu Proc Automotive Med 53:249–256. , , .