A study on dynamic and thermodynamic aspects of breaks in the summer monsoon over India
Article first published online: 11 FEB 2004
Copyright © 2004 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 24, Issue 3, pages 341–360, 15 March 2004
How to Cite
Bhatla, R., Mohanty, U. C., Raju, P. V. S. and Madan, O. P. (2004), A study on dynamic and thermodynamic aspects of breaks in the summer monsoon over India. Int. J. Climatol., 24: 341–360. doi: 10.1002/joc.1005
- Issue published online: 27 FEB 2004
- Article first published online: 11 FEB 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 28 NOV 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 NOV 2003
- Manuscript Received: 2 JUN 2003
- Department of Science and Technology
- 1998. Breaks in southwest monsoon. Pre-published Scientific Report No. 1998/3. , , .
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40years reanalysis project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 437–471. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1980. The 10 to 20-day westward propagating mode and ‘breaks in the monsoons’. Tellus 32: 15–26. , .
- 2000. Dynamics of breaks in the Indian summer monsoon. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 37: 1354–1372. , , .
- 1950. Upper levels lows in low latitudes in the Indian area during southwest monsoon season and breaks in monsoon. Indian Journal of Meteorology and Geophysics 1: 162–164. .
- 1966a. Kinetic energy generation and dissipation in the large-scale atmospheric circulation. Monthly Weather Review 94: 67–82. .
- 1966b. Large scale balance of kinetic energy in the atmosphere. Monthly Weather Review 94: 627–640. .
- 1950. Notes on analysis of weather of India and neighborhood. Memoirs of Indian Meteorological Department, XXVLL, Part IV; 139–215. .
- 1968. Westward moving sea level low pressure systems in the south Bay of Bengal during southwest monsoon. Indian Journal of Meteorology and Geophysics 19(3): 284–288. , .
- 1982a. On the large scale energetics in the onset and maintenance of summer monsoon—I: heat budget. Mausam 33: 139–152. , , .
- 1982b. On the large scale energetics in the onset and maintenance of summer monsoon—II: moisture budget. Mausam 33: 285–294. , , .
- 1970. Alternative solutions to classical vertical velocity problems. Journal of Applied Meteorology 9: 197–203. .
- 1956. Western disturbances and Indian weather. Indian Journal of Meteorology and Geophysics 7: 333–338. , .
- 1969. Some aspects of ‘break’ in the Indian southwest monsoon during July and August. Forecasting manual. Indian Meteorological Department Publication, FMU, Rep. 4, 18.3. .
- 1981. Blocking highs over Asia and monsoon droughts over India. Nature 289: 221–223. , .
- 1962. Breaks in the India summer monsoon as a phenomenon of interaction between easterly and the subtropical westerly jet streams. Tellus 14: 337–349. .
- 1978. The south-west monsoon over India and its teleconnections with the middle and upper tropospheric flow patterns over the Southern Hemisphere. Tellus 30: 126–135. , .
- 1976. Southwest Monsoon. Meteorology Monograph No. 1. India Meteorological Department: 1–367. .
- 1997. Breaks in the Asian monsoon: the influence of Southern Hemisphere weather systems. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 54: 2597–2611. .
- 1978. Temporal variations in the northern hemispheric summer monsoon circulations. Indian Journal of Meteorology, Hydrology and Geophysics 29: 170–186. , .